On Running a Horror Game

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Or at least that running away from their problems won't solve anything.

Well, horror can have several different scopes. It isn't always global/universal scope, and so may be escapable.

Running from a vampire won't solve the problem, "a vampire exists."
Running from a vampire may solve the problem of, "a vampire is trying to bleed me dry for lunch."

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Well, horror can have several different scopes. It isn't always global/universal scope, and so may be escapable.

Running from a vampire won't solve the problem, "a vampire exists."
Running from a vampire may solve the problem of, "a vampire is trying to bleed me dry for lunch."
Absolutely fair. A) You can set up scenarios--even ones where the horror isn't of a large scope--that can't be resolved by running away. B) If you wish, you can change what you quoted to "running away from their problems doesn't solve everything." The space between not solving anything and not solving everything is probably where the interesting decisions lie.

Faolyn

(she/her)
A low voice and vivid descriptions where you address all the senses: not just what the PCs see or hear, but what they smell and taste and even touch. Like, if they come across blood, they should be able to smell it and, therefore, taste it on the back of their throat.

I've been using cut scenes in my Monster of the Week game, and that works well.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Eh. I find myself to be a service-oriented GM. I don't care how the players respond, so long as they find it entertaining and engaging to do so. Investigating, and then cutting and running when they start learning what they are dealing with, should be an option.

Mind you, in the genre, horror is difficult to escape. It tends to try to keep you around, and to follow you. So, there's still a game to be had in the escape.

I hope I am a service-oriented GM, but I run games I want to run. The parameters of those games are spelled out beforehand, and if they are challenged in play after being accepted in Session Zero I should have the right to note this.

It puts a lot of onus on a GM to change the framework of their game from one of investigation to one of pursuit - especially if a switch like this happens mid session!

MGibster

Legend
I'd like to talk about props for a moment. One of the keys to imposing a sense of dread or horror on any game is to make sure the PCs are invested in the setting and props can really help with that. Handing a player a physical letter to read is much better than the GM reading the contents of said letter to them. And I'm going to be really generous about what might be considered a prop. If you have a laptop, just having photos you can use to show players what NPCs look like or even real life locations can go along way towards helping them visualize the game. If you want to go a step further, you can use some of that arts & crafts skillset you haven't used since elementary school to make some props. But here are some ideas.

1. Photos from the internet (I just Googled Russian mobster for a campaign and got some great photos).
2. Flea markets/antique stores/etc., are great places to find props including costume jewlery, old equipment, or all sorts of weird stuff.
3. You can print out official looking documents, floorplans to buildings, etc., etc.
4. Obviously do not use real weapons or any dangerous item.

Obviously we all have a limited amount of time, but a little bit of work goes a long way.

This little prop was made twenty years ago. It's part of a scrimshaw set that came with a "tooth" from a sperm whale. You might guess what game this was used for. I've used it several times over the years.

Scrimshaw.JPG

Remove ads