D&D General On Skilled Play: D&D as a Game

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I run an Old School Essentials game and play in a 5e backup game. The differences are stark because of how the mechanics of each game differ. I'm still struggling with these guys, who are all around 50 and playing D&D since the early 80's, just wanting to say well I search the room, and there are no rules for search checks. So it often goes like this.

Players "I'll search"
Ref "you search what?"
Players "The room"
Ref "ok your search of the room sets off a blast of gasses out of the wall when you search the wardrobe against the wall"
Players - "I would have never touched that!".

So I try to tell them they need to act like they are the PC and describe what they are doing.

We had a situation where they could only open the trap door in the floor of the room by search the table over it and looking under. Then they would see what must be a portal that is closed. They cold open it with a saying that I was ramming into their heads over and over due to some magic mouths and prior magic words to open portals. But while one player was getting the gist now and saying "I'm going to walk the walls searching the mosaics, running my hands over them and trying to find a secret door or opening." The rest of them are standing around with their minds in neutral and when the other player's search finds nothing they are like "well we searched the room we need to move on...". Not wanting to waste time I said "you did?" It took a bit for them to finally actually describe how they search the room and one player looked under the table seeing the portal and something to give them a clue how to open it. Another player used the clue to figure out the password to open it and on they went. Getting into your PC's head and actually working though how he would actually do a task is as much RP as a speech with the King.

Is that a skilled play situation? Kind of as I would think a skilled player would be thinking "how can I describe what I'm doing with enough specifics to accomplish my goal and avoid the Ref having to make a roll for something?" But that ties into my old 5e game where I would tell them if they are specific enough in what they are describing to me I may not need to roll on the uncertainty chart as the outcome will not be in doubt. They would kind of struggle with that thinking well there are dice and they must be rolled so why be specific?

They will do things like throw the coin with light cast on it, or send ahead summoned creatures so they are on the ball in many ways. Its the search issues they get hung up on. Saying "I'm going to use my pole to knock this widgit off the table" and avoid the trap that springs is good play and negates the need to make a save.

They are in a dungeon and didn't bring the appropriate gear? Still happens though.

I only view Metagaming as in well I know from reading the module that this is here, or that type of thing. Having the players do things they know are wrong x number of times before they can use acid on the troll isn't something I push. At heart I look at this as a game not acting and I expect them to use their own brains.

I might be getting off topic at this point though.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
We had a situation where they could only open the trap door in the floor of the room by search the table over it and looking under. Then they would see what must be a portal that is closed. They cold open it with a saying that I was ramming into their heads over and over due to some magic mouths and prior magic words to open portals. But while one player was getting the gist now and saying "I'm going to walk the walls searching the mosaics, running my hands over them and trying to find a secret door or opening." The rest of them are standing around with their minds in neutral and when the other player's search finds nothing they are like "well we searched the room we need to move on...". Not wanting to waste time I said "you did?" It took a bit for them to finally actually describe how they search the room and one player looked under the table seeing the portal and something to give them a clue how to open it. Another player used the clue to figure out the password to open it and on they went. Getting into your PC's head and actually working though how he would actually do a task is as much RP as a speech with the King.

Is that a skilled play situation? Kind of as I would think a skilled player would be thinking "how can I describe what I'm doing with enough specifics to accomplish my goal and avoid the Ref having to make a roll for something?" But that ties into my old 5e game where I would tell them if they are specific enough in what they are describing to me I may not need to roll on the uncertainty chart as the outcome will not be in doubt. They would kind of struggle with that thinking well there are dice and they must be rolled so why be specific?

They will do things like throw the coin with light cast on it, or send ahead summoned creatures so they are on the ball in many ways. Its the search issues they get hung up on. Saying "I'm going to use my pole to knock this widgit off the table" and avoid the trap that springs is good play and negates the need to make a save.

They are in a dungeon and didn't bring the appropriate gear? Still happens though.
Yes, engaging in skilled play doesn't automatically mean one is good at it. Especially if someone is trying to play one game like it's another game.

I play in an OSE game, for example, and run and play in multiple D&D 5e games. You simply cannot play these games the same way and hope to be successful. In D&D 5e, you have some wiggle room. The characters are more survivable and have ability checks or the like to fall back on when what they describe they are doing has an uncertain outcome. And those ability checks can be boosted a number of ways. In OSE, you often have a handful of hit points and almost nothing to fall back on in terms of skills or class features. My low-level rogue couldn't pick locks to save his life so we had to break down a lot of doors at risk of wandering monsters. And finding traps? Pfft. Terrible at it. It doesn't pay to rely on anything on the actual character sheet hence my new character, Ten-Foot Paul.

Reasonable specificity when it comes to declaring actions is expected in both games. But, in my experience, the standard of reasonableness shifts in one game to the other. In OSE, it pays to be more detailed while at the same time being careful that you're not boring the crap out of everyone at the table. It's a delicate balance.

Yeah, it's like, these are supposed to be powerful adventurers that willingly venture into dangerous situations, then they all cower behind the tank just opening a dang door (after spending 30 minutes making sure that the door itself wasn't trapped, wasn't locked, wasn't a mimic, what the optimal way to open it was). I'm not saying players should just charge in, but eventually the game has to move forward.

I am a big fan of the "old school" style of D&D but I definitely do not enjoy tapping every bit of the dungeon with a 10' pole. Nor do I enjoy the style that Jim Ward was describing wherein players are terrified of everything that the DM might throw at them.

I don't understand why players in these descriptions don't have a standard process written down and given to the DM.

"What do you do?"

"Door Opening Pattern Alpha, with Mondo on point."

"How do you search?

"Search Pattern 2, and..."

"There's a chest in the corner Mary."

"Oh, right. Search Pattern 3, that's the one with the cleric in the hallway in case the object is trapped. Yeah we go with 3."

It's only tedious ONCE.

I don't understand why players in these descriptions don't have a standard process written down and given to the DM.

"What do you do?"

"How do you search?

"Oh, right. Search Pattern 3, that's the one with the cleric in the hallway in case the object is trapped. Yeah we go with 3."

It's only tedious ONCE.
Because they are UNSKILLED. If they were properly skilled, they would have SOPs in place if needed.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yeah, it's like, these are supposed to be powerful adventurers that willingly venture into dangerous situations, then they all cower behind the tank just opening a dang door (after spending 30 minutes making sure that the door itself wasn't trapped, wasn't locked, wasn't a mimic, what the optimal way to open it was). I'm not saying players should just charge in, but eventually the game has to move forward.

THE OLD SCHOOL ....

DM: You've entered a 30'x30' room. There is an unopened chest in the middle of the room.

Players: Um ... there's no monsters? Just a chest?

DM: Yup! Just, you know, a chest. Sitting there. Unopened.

Players: Oh no .... RUN AWAY! WE RUN AWAY!

DM: ...you run away?

Players: QUICKLY! WE RUN AWAY .... QUICKLY!

DM: TOO LATE!

Players: NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I enjoy skill play, but not the painstaking "tell me every detail of what your character is doing" gotcha type skill play. I recall a story once about a game where the players spent 3 entire sessions trying to get out of maze. At the end, the GM triumphantly declares that, "the walls of the maze were only 3' tall and any point they could have simply walked over them." Yikes...

I had another old school GM once who you wouldnt even let your PC go to the outhouse without a cleric going with. You never knew when an ambush was just around the corner. Same GM in other games (like Call of Cthulhu) was famous for screwing players over for things their characters would know. "You should have known the laws of London in1920!"

That type of skill play is too much for me. I think the GM needs to balance the challenge of skill play with the fun of actually engaging in it.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I had another old school GM once who you wouldnt even let your PC go to the outhouse without a cleric going with. You never knew when an ambush was just around the corner.

I mean, that's just common sense. The outhouse is where the worst ambushes take place.

Thehost.jpg

"What do you do?"

"How do you search?

It's only tedious ONCE.
In my experience, this is because you only want spelled-out procedures for dms who demand detailed explanations, and those dm will demand the explanation each time.

If the dm isn't trying to "gotcha", then submitting SOPs is overkill. The sentence "I search for traps" will be assumed to imply you're doing so carefully, so as not to set any off while searching.

If you need to explain how you search, saying "I use procedure 2G in the SOP manual" won't fly with the dm. They'll ask you to explain it again.

Remove ads