On the birth of RPGs

Byron.the.Bard

Villager
I imagine the birth of RPGs as absolutely contingent. While storytelling is an innate feature of humanity, the specific form of storytelling in an RPG (choral, interactive, supported by rules, enriched by actual randomness) seems to me a possibility which need not have arisen.

Byron the Bard has been thinking about the origin of RPGs, and been musing on some questions like: were they born by chance? Or were they the natural outgrowth of predetermined factors? What was the likelihood of them ever being developed? The bard thinks that there are some essential aspects of contingency and fragility in this process, and has collected some thoughts here (post) and would like to listen to other opinions too!

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I think that the activities of the Brontes, with the creation and ongoing pursuit of games in Gondal, Angria, and the like show that RPGs can emerge from a desire for play without the need for other pre-existing contingencies. Marrying play to game is not a great leap.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, at some point I think that would have emerged anyway. Consider something as basic as "The Game of Life" which, essentially, is a board game that generates a simple narrative of how one's life comes out. At some point freeform roleplaying would have crashed up against something like that in one fashion or another.

aramis erak

Legend
Byron the Bard has been thinking about the origin of RPGs, and been musing on some questions like: were they born by chance? Or were they the natural outgrowth of predetermined factors? What was the likelihood of them ever being developed? The bard thinks that there are some essential aspects of contingency and fragility in this process, and has collected some thoughts here (post) and would like to listen to other opinions too!
All the needed elements were present in 1895...
GM Moderated wargaming (Kriegspiel) including strong GM options (Frei Kriegspielle)
fantastic settings (HG Wells)
Storytelling parlor games (one of which resulted in Frankenstein)
Miniatures Wargaming (not actually part of Kriegspiel... but Wells was doing it, and writes up the system for publication a decade later)
Randomized result wargaming (Kriegspiel)

Classroom role-play was in use in the 19th C as well, but specifics are not well documented, in the "envision if you will..." followed by "What would you have done?" prompting. (The most widespread is 20th C... It was surging with the Model UN in the 60's, tho' it dates back to 1927 as a Model League of Nations...)

So what was missing? Putting them together and maybe the influence of 1960's rise of Improv as entertainment.

Was it inevitable? Probably not - but it's probably a likely thing, and would have arisen in a couple more years if Dave and Dave hadn't made the leap in the late 1960s, or if Dave Arneson had not having gone to Gygax...

All the bits were there for 70 years before D&D hit it big. I'm pretty certain that, had it been explained to him, HG Wells would have embraced RPGs every bit as much as he did wargaming.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Who but war-gamers would have built a rules structure around a game of make believe elaborate enough to justify publication for a mass audience? Honest question.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I again point back at the Game of Life. That's a mainstream board game.
I can see something like that getting tacked on to a game of make believe as a way to introduce random events into the fiction, but it doesn't really move things towards open ended action resolution. For example, the person represented by your game piece in the Game of Life can't meaningfully interact with the people represented by the game pieces of the other players in a way that would be facilitated by the rules of the game. At least, if I'm remembering the game correctly.

War-games are all about interactions between the game pieces.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can see something like that getting tacked on to a game of make believe as a way to introduce random events into the fiction, but it doesn't really move things towards open ended action resolution.

Most novel things of human design are not built entirely baby steps with a clear path from A to B. There are many moments in which someone gets a novel idea, and bridges gaps. If you aren't going to allow for those gaps, you will simply reject every option that comes along.

If folks want to know what a game that doesn't come from the wargame root might look like, look at Theatrix. which applies theater and cinematic concepts to RPGs, rather than wargame concepts.

Remove ads