• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Once Upon A Time in Mexico

John Crichton

First Post
Sakzilla said:
Depp was okay, though his part was put together in shabby fashion.

This movie was Magnolia bad. A Thin Red Line bad. It seemed much longer than it was, though the scarring will last for weeks...
Hmm, I also hated The Thin Red Line. I know many folks really like it but I thought it was boring as sin and a terrible flick. However, Once Upon A Time in Mexico was no where near as boring. I thought Depp stole the film similar to what he did in Pirates of the Caribbean, altho the former was a better film.

I would have liked to see more of Selma Hayek but since El Mariachi is a tragic character it makes sense that she wasn't in the movie much because of what happened to her character. It wasn't as good as Desperado but was a fun movie while being slightly confusing at the same time.

Fun action, funny when it needed to be. Too bad the theater I saw it at had a terrible projectionist and the picture was slightly out of focus the entire time. Oh well.

3 out of 4 stars.

4 = Classic. Blew me away from start to finish.
3 = Very good. Entertaining and a worthwhile experience.
2 = Average. Watchable but flawed.
1 = Terrible. Unwatchable dreck.
0 = I wish I had that time back. So bad that I almost walked out of the theater.

John Crichton

First Post
Fyrie said:
So, does it continue the story in the first 2, or is it just more a 3rd film with the same character?
Considering the general lack of story in Desperado I guess the answer would be yes. ;) It does stick with the continuity and feel if that is what you mean.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Fyrie said:
So, does it continue the story in the first 2, or is it just more a 3rd film with the same character?
Some of it continues the story in number two but mostly it is a third film with the central character and a number of new ones.

The movie also is a political statement of the troubles of Mexico, drug lords, corrupt goverment and military, with America keeping the balance so no one gets the upper hand (this is a pun because it waas very important in the movie).

Sirius_Black

First Post
John Crichton said:
Hmm, I also hated The Thin Red Line. I know many folks really like it but I thought it was boring as sin and a terrible flick. However, Once Upon A Time in Mexico was no where near as boring. I thought Depp stole the film similar to what he did in Pirates of the Caribbean,

Too bad the theater I saw it at had a terrible projectionist and the picture was slightly out of focus the entire time. Oh well.

I haven't seen the film yet. Too busy and too many experiences like the one you mentioned in the last paragraph although audience members are usually the ones that make me at times head to the Torrents page.

But, to Depp stealing the show, I've heard that mentioned in more than one review. Furthermore, it was really interesting to see the newswire blurb go out that first announced that Once Upon a Time in Mexico had won the box office race this weekend. It did not say Banderas film, or Rodriguez film, it said Depp film. Yes, I know that's the press, but combined with his EW cover, and his ability to dodge a Dixie Chick like statement, Depp certainly is on the Hot list right now. Good for him, I like how he comes across in interviews and have enjoyed him when I've seen his work...no matter how strange.

I wonder what he'll play in the future? A Chocolate Factory head? ;)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Sirius_Black said:
It did not say Banderas film, or Rodriguez film, it said Depp film.

I think some of it is because he has two movies in the top box office this week, Pirates is still kicking at number 5 after 10 weeks out and money talks, it has only been out done by Finding Nemo. Also Depp gets into his characters, Banderas is mostly just Banderas, I can't talk about who had more screen time but Depp's character was very interesting.

Villano

First Post
Sirius_Black said:
I haven't seen the film yet. Too busy and too many experiences like the one you mentioned in the last paragraph although audience members are usually the ones that make me at times head to the Torrents page.

But, to Depp stealing the show, I've heard that mentioned in more than one review. Furthermore, it was really interesting to see the newswire blurb go out that first announced that Once Upon a Time in Mexico had won the box office race this weekend. It did not say Banderas film, or Rodriguez film, it said Depp film. Yes, I know that's the press, but combined with his EW cover, and his ability to dodge a Dixie Chick like statement, Depp certainly is on the Hot list right now. Good for him, I like how he comes across in interviews and have enjoyed him when I've seen his work...no matter how strange.

I wonder what he'll play in the future? A Chocolate Factory head? ;)

I've always found Depp to come across as contemptuous of the audience in his interviews. The "I'm an actor!" attitude.

Plus, I didn't like him when he was doing the rounds for Ed Wood, constantly shifting between "Ed was a great guy. If you put Fellini's name in the credits, people would think his movies were art" and "Ed Wood, what a moron. The guy had no talent. What an idiot". Shifting between praise and mockery makes everything he says seem hollow.

And they are going through with the Willy Wonka remake? Shoot me in the head now! What's next, The Wizard Of Oz, starring Britanny Spear as Dorothy and Madonna as Glenda, the Good Witch?! :mad:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Villano said:
Shoot me in the head now! What's next, The Wizard Of Oz, starring Britanny Spear as Dorothy and Madonna as Glenda, the Good Witch?! :mad:

Well, Ben and Jen want to re-make Casablanca. :) Yes, it is getting bad.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads