• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Once you go C&C, you never go back

After you tried Castles & Crusades, did you switch to it?

• Yes.

Votes: 55 24.9%
  • No.

Votes: 123 55.7%
  • Liked it, but not enough to switch.

Votes: 43 19.5%

serleran

First Post
As one of the designers, I could say all kinds of things, but I won't.

I will, instead, just say something stupid:

I'll play whatever is fun. C&C, like any game, can be fun. Does it depend on who is playing it, and how? Likely, just as other games can get boring if you're having a bad string of things (like, say, a new "fighter game" where you have to learn all the combos and you're playing against someone who has them all memorized...) but it doesn't mean the game, itself, is bad... just that experience.

This is why it should be tried, if for no other reason than to say you actually know what it is you're not liking.

By the way: C&C never meant to replace any game you are using now - it was meant to bridge them, so you could have all of what you liked from them, but under the same umbrella, to make them easier to combine, and play. It was also meant to bring new players into gaming with something simple, and easy to pick up, without the daunting task of memorizing 300 pages of Player material first.

[edit - Damn spelling - its contagious when you're around so many trolls...]

Henry

Autoexreginated
I like it, and will use it to run "old-school" modules for one-shots occasionally, because it's easy enough for people used to the DC system of d20 to pick up and run with. The only change I do make is to make the main target number 20 instead of 18, and I just say that having a prime ability gives you a +6 bonus to that roll. The rest I keep the same (level adjustments to the DC, the SEIGE system keyed to attributes, etc.) I pull out some old-school 1E magic items, and have fun with them.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Right now I'm having a blast playing AD&D modules converted to C&C. Our DM is running us through the Slave Lord series though, sadly, we only play once per month.

That said, when I run C&C I use a highly modified ruleset based heavily on C&C, D&D 3.X and AD&D. Part of the beauty of the game is that it's easily adapted.

slimykuotoan

First Post
I'll have to add that I'm almost exclusively a DM/GM/Ck,etc. so I love the fact that C&C is completely compatible with D20/AD&D, etc stuff.

Indeedy, I've dusted off all of my AD&D resources and now spend time scouring hobby stores for old n' tasty Dungeon/Dragon mags.

Understand that I'm not in any way against other fantasy systems, I'm just saying that C&C is a great deal of fun.

For those of you interested, pop over to the Troll Lords site and PM me on the forums; I -and I'm sure others- would be more than happy to CK you in a 'one nighter' online (via free voice chat programs) using the free downloadable quick start rules.

And considering character creation's a snap, instant games pop up all the time, which you can quickly jump in on...

Last edited:

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I thought it was fine. It pretty much achieved that goals that were described to me.

But the similarity between all members of each class at similar levels left me a bit blah about the whole situation.

In the end, I needed more character option that were presented.

But as a re-working of old-school D&D it was great...but there was a reason I welcomed 3rd edition when it appeared.

Brooklyn Red Leg

First Post
Although I've only had one chance to play Castles & Crusades (at NecronomiCon in Tampa in October), I have to say I love the system. I had a blast playing a Gnome Illusionist, eventhough the module was full of Undead.

As others have said, its modularity is what drew me once I had started to research it. I can take any of my editions of (A)D&D and plug them in with few modifications. If I ever get around to actually running a game (Im waiting on getting the Castle Keepers Guide, as well as to get my friends to actually try the game) I intend on taking the 'Everything but the Kitchen Sink' approach. I'm a big fan of Blackmoor and DragonLance (as well as that special place in my heart for Greyhawk), so I allow ALL kinds of player character classes/races (especially some stuff from Hackmaster) and even prestige classes. I can take my (extensive) collection of modules and run them rather easily from what I can tell.

So for those of you who haven't tried it....you never know, it may turn out to be a life changing experience. Does the game need tweaks to lend itself to your specific needs, certainly. But the Trolls have given you the tools necessary to make those changes.

ivocaliban

First Post
I didn't vote because I haven't played C&C, but I do have a couple of the books. I like the idea, particularly for more casual gamers who might be interested in playing, but don't want to spend an hour or two creating their first character, learning how to navigate a complicated character sheet, etc.

I introduced my best friend's fiancee to D&D 3.5, but having never played the game before she really got bored with placing skill points, picking spells, etc. She just wanted to play. I think C&C would have been a better introductory choice on my part, but I didn't have it at the time.

On the other hand, I have a hard time convincing my friends who are familiar with 3.0e/3.5e to even try C&C. Most of them see it as a step backwards for player character customization and already being familiar with the complexities of 3.0e/3.5e prefer that route. So, it sits on my shelf, looking tiny and forgotten next to the dozens of d20 books. I'd like to give it a try, but you need willing players for that sort of thing.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Treebore said:
So, when I think how glad I am I didn't ignore games based on its fans, it baffles me how others do.

It has to do with personality.

C&C has had some very obnoxious fans post here about how the game can do anything out of the box (i.e., unaltered), which makes it obviously superior to D&D -- and then they proceed to tell people that you only need to houserule or handwave a sizeable list of stuff to make it do X (thus, shooting hundreds of holes in the original claim).
At this point, somebody will point out that houserules and handwaving aren't something that the game does out of the box and that these are things which the consumer must do themselves. That is, these aren't actual rules in C&C. This is typically followed by much gnashing of teeth and name-calling. Things only tend to go downhill from there.

Would you want to sit down and game with such a person? I know that I wouldn't.

Again, it's a personality thing. Telling lies and calling people names won't win you friends. A lot of people have that figured out. Those who don't will find convincing people to play their favorite game an arduous task.

[P.S. This behavior is not specific to hardcore C&C fans and I do not mean to infer such. I merely use them as an example here, as it's on point. Every game has its fair share of fanatic promoters who suffer from tunnel vision and, more often than not, such folks tend to repel rather than attract.]

[P.P.S. I hope ENWorld never becomes like DF (in that I hope its community is never so highly polarized to the degree that members actually spend time creating new perjoratives to describe other game systems). I'd welcome more dedicated discussion forums for multiple editions of D&D, on the other hand.]

Last edited:

Greylock

First Post
slimykuotoan said:
Indeedy, I've dusted off all of my AD&D resources and now spend time scouring hobby stores for old n' tasty Dungeon/Dragon mags.

Stay out of Memphis, slimeball! Those old Dragons are mine, mine, mine!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads