D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric and Species playtest survey is live.

aco175

Legend
I was thinking of the word Type and Sub-Type and find I like it more if we need to change from Race. I was thinking of undead and thought I never say what race of undead is that. I tend to say what type of undead already. It may become shorthand instead of saying sub-type.

Clint_L

Hero
I think that if someone asked me "what species of undead?" I would understand what they mean. Like, we can be pedantic all day long, but ultimately language is an evolving thing and if species (or whatever - I still like "schmorp") becomes the new "race" in D&D, we will all be comfortable with it very quickly. We will intuitively understand what it means in the context of the game and not be worrying about whether an automaton or undead thing can be properly called a species in the biological sense. At worst there would be bout 6 seconds of cognitive dissonance and then we would adjust. Humans are super good at that.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think that if someone asked me "what species of undead?" I would understand what they mean. Like, we can be pedantic all day long, but ultimately language is an evolving thing and if species (or whatever - I still like "schmorp") becomes the new "race" in D&D, we will all be comfortable with it very quickly. We will intuitively understand what it means in the context of the game and not be worrying about whether an automaton or undead thing can be properly called a species in the biological sense. At worst there would be bout 6 seconds of cognitive dissonance and then we would adjust. Humans are super good at that.
Maybe you will. If they go with species, that’ll never stop bothering me. I’ll put up with it, but I’m certainly not going to get used to it, much less forget it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I suspect we will still get the next packet when we get the One D&D SRD.
How would that work? The game has to be written first.

Even if the conspiracy theories abt it being a false playtest are right (and they aren’t, the idea is patently absurd) they wouldn’t make it so blatant as “here’s the srd, but this is totally still a playtest that will determine what the rules are…”

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
WotC will not use Ancestry or Origin in place of Race because they already use both those terms in the game already in other places and they'd have to re-write all those things to remove them.

My order was Kind, Species, and then Subtype, with my write-in stating I actually preferred 'Kin' because it was a homey, more medieval and fantasy type of word for a group of peoples... but that Kind would be an okay replacement. I'm fine with Species too and don't really care or am bothered by the "non-biological creature" argument.

I had Subtype last and stated quite succinctly that I don't think it would work because it would just look silly as a Chapter heading in a book.

"To create a character you will select your Class, Background, and Subtype." What? Subtype? A Subtype of what? What does that mean? It's referencing something we don't even know.

I basically said I didn't think it'd work for the PHB. It's fine for the Monster Manual because that's more of a taxonomical tome and that sort of categorization makes sense... but not so much for creating a character. We need an actual word for the Chapter heading that tells the reader quickly what is in it. Which is why I also suspect that it'll end up being 'Species'-- that's the word that most people will understand immediately on what the Chapter is about... moreso than Kin or Kind or Lineage or Origin or any of those words. Yes, it might be more 'scientific' than we might like for a fantasy game... but it's also the most recognizable word for telling us what its referencing.

How would that work? The game has to be written first.

Even if the conspiracy theories abt it being a false playtest are right (and they aren’t, the idea is patently absurd) they wouldn’t make it so blatant as “here’s the srd, but this is totally still a playtest that will determine what the rules are…”

They will updated it as they continue development.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
• Species
• Kind
• Subtype

I can live with any of the three.

"Species" is the most self-explanatory.

"Kind" is Medieval and Ancient, and equates to Species.

"Subtype" can work but hurts my ears and gives the impression that the Type itself is "super" important.
Humanoid, Fey, Construct, they ARE kinda important right?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I responded with "they all suck." I then proceeded to explain why, and then added Lineage and Ancestry as my preferred options.
And if you have an option is which transitioned or transformed (magically or otherwise) from another option, how does that work? I mean just reincarnation itself doesn't work with either of those as it has no relationship to your ancestors or lineage. Both your options are strictly about your parents - but what if you're not the same as your parents?

Remove ads