D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

MarkB

Legend
So, one thing I noticed:

EPIC BOON OF LUCK 20th-Level Feat Prerequisite: Expert Group Repeatable: No​
Immediately after you roll a d20 for a d20 Test, you can roll a d10 and add the number rolled to the test. Once you use this benefit, you can’t use it again until you roll Initiative or finish a Short Rest or a Long Rest.​
No comment on the feat itself, but the bolded part is something I haven't seen before in 5e nomenclature, and is a more elegant way to implement per-encounter features than I've previously seen in the official rules. I hope it'll see some use outside of the Epic Boons.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Some things I quite like in this UA, I like that rangers (and presumably paladin and any future halfcasters) get spellcasting at 1st level, including cantrips.

Hunters mark is now an always prepared spell as part of Favoured enemy, I think this is good for a lot of players, for me I hardly used it since I tended to pick up other flavourful spells on the ranger list, so it's good that they given it for free.

I quite like the bards songs of restoration, though perhaps not just because it's a way to get healing spells. I'd want this feature to be changeable and a result of training from specific bard colleges. The flame dances might have a few fire spells instead of healing. Probably won't be able to alter it in dndbeyond when this is all released, but that might just mean that I move away from dndbeyond as a tool to create PCs and just use it more for referencing/DM tools.

I like how they are using the three different spell lists, but I don't like how they are limiting schools within those lists. I understand why they might want to in order to force a theme, but I'm likely to allow spellcasters open access to the entire spell list. This will mean that the bard's magical secret will essentially be granting them access to primal and divine spell lists.

I'm not so sure I like the new way of preparing spells, but if it gets rolled out to everyone, then the wizard is going to need a lot of changes. I'm not going to have the wizard needing to find all their spells if everyone is able to adjust their spells each day. Will have to wait for the Mage UA though to decide on any potential changes (they might have some cool stuff coming).

MarkB

Legend
I'm not so sure I like the new way of preparing spells, but if it gets rolled out to everyone, then the wizard is going to need a lot of changes. I'm not going to have the wizard needing to find all their spells if everyone is able to adjust their spells each day. Will have to wait for the Mage UA though to decide on any potential changes (they might have some cool stuff coming).
It will be interesting to see whether this is the end of the wizard spellbook.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That 13 takes them to the deadline without any revisiting, though. If they want to revisit, they will need to pick up the pace of UA releases.
No, I just laid out how they can easily get in everything they have suggested they will be doing by about August or September next year, which gives them months and months to revisit. Recall that no D&D Core book has released prior to June in the entire WotC era, with a spread of June to October for the Core three. They have left plenty of time for their tests of the new options.

until you roll Initiative or finish a Short Rest or a Long Rest.
No comment on the feat itself, but the bolded part is something I haven't seen before in 5e nomenclature, and is a more elegant way to implement per-encounter features than I've previously seen in the official rules.
It's been used in some other things before (but the only one I remember right away is the Gnome Fade Away racial feat in Xanathar). Scary, scary encounter powers, inching their way in.

Haplo781

Legend
Honestly, I've never really seen the paladin as having any particularly thematic identity outside of D&D in the first place. I can think of a couple of ranger-types from popular fantasy, but no particular reference comes to mind for the paladin. Even, say, Arthurian knights feel more like straight-up fighters.
Galahad possessed the strength of 10 men because of his virtue.
So, one thing I noticed:

EPIC BOON OF LUCK 20th-Level Feat Prerequisite: Expert Group Repeatable: No​
Immediately after you roll a d20 for a d20 Test, you can roll a d10 and add the number rolled to the test. Once you use this benefit, you can’t use it again until you roll Initiative or finish a Short Rest or a Long Rest.​
No comment on the feat itself, but the bolded part is something I haven't seen before in 5e nomenclature, and is a more elegant way to implement per-encounter features than I've previously seen in the official rules. I hope it'll see some use outside of the Epic Boons.
When you roll initiative, regain all your superiority dice...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, I just laid out how they can easily get in everything they have suggested they will be doing by about August or September next year, which gives them months and months to revisit. Recall that no D&D Core book has released prior to June in the entire WotC era, with a spread of June to October for the Core three. They have left plenty of time for their tests of the new options.
What you laid out was 13 packets with no repeats. Without repeats the playtest fails to give revised anything in time.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It will be interesting to see whether this is the end of the wizard spellbook.
It could be, I sort of hope not but I feel like it is going to have to change. Maybe it will become something that allows them to gather rituals from everywhere, or perhaps it will become an implement in some fashion.

Haplo781

Legend
It could be, I sort of hope not but I feel like it is going to have to change. Maybe it will become something that allows them to gather rituals from everywhere, or perhaps it will become an implement in some fashion.
"You can ritually cast any arcane spell with the ritual tag without having it prepared."

Remove ads

Remove ads