D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Reading this again, I'd really rather prefer that ranger get cool magical abilities that aren't spells. I mean, imagine a ranger who is tracking some barbarians from the mountains that have kidnapped a townsperson for some reason. The ranger finds some tracks and leans down to touch them. When he does he closes his eyes and gets a vision of the quarry. He sees them heading for the mountains and gets a glimpse of the nearby landmarks, then he says, "I have seen those that we seek. They are at the base of the mountains near Deadman's Gorge, no more than 8 hours ahead of us." or if they turned towards the lake, "These tracks belong to a group of hunters headed for the lake. These are not those we seek. Let us continue looking." How cool would something like that be?
sounds like a spell. also not mutually exclusive with spellcasting even if you do represent it as a non-spell class feature.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
sounds like a spell. also not mutually exclusive with spellcasting even if you do represent it as a non-spell class feature.
You said, "I'd be fine with magical abilities that aren't spells." What I provided was a magical ability that isn't a spell. Pretty much all magic abilities can also be spells, because they are magical effects, just like spells. :)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You said, "I'd be fine with magical abilities that aren't spells." What I provided was a magical ability that isn't a spell. Pretty much all magic abilities can also be spells, because they are magical effects, just like spells. :)
What on earth are you even trying to argue about?

Vaalingrade

Legend
Cool but WOTC or any major D&D clone writing company would never write out a class feature like that with enough detail, length, usefulness and clarity that doesn't crowded out other possible features from existing.

You're only getting that in a spell. Not even a feat.
Not 5e, but that gives me an idea...

Master Tracker [Rogue*]
Your tracking skill borders on the preternatural, allowing you to anticipate movement as well as follow it.

Prerequisite: Trained in Survival, Skill Focus: Survival**

Benefit: Whenever you make a Survival check, if you beat the DC to track a target by 10 or more, you can anticipate the indented destination of the target as well as vocations of any intelligent members of the group.

*In my system the rogue ate the ranger and took its stuff

** Yeah, it's back, because skills deserve better than bounded accuracy.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
@Parmandur the survey for packet #2 is starting on October 20th, 3 weeks after the packet came out. If we get the next packet just one week later, it will be one month. 3 more packets before the end of the year is looking less and less likely. 2 more packets this year if they get us the next one a week after the survey and keep the same pace as the last two packets.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
@Parmandur the survey for packet #2 is starting on October 20th, 3 weeks after the packet came out. If we get the next packet just one week later, it will be one month. 3 more packets before the end of the year is looking less and less likely. 2 more packets this year if they get us the next one a week after the survey and keep the same pace as the last two packets.
One in October, one in November, and one in December still seems likely. We'll see.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
One in October, one in November, and one in December still seems likely. We'll see.
IF they release 1 week after the survey, we will see it on 10-27. At that rate it will be 11-27 and then 12-27. 12-27 while technically in December really isn't for this year. Between the holidays and the fact that 3.5 of the 4 weeks will be in 2023, it's a 2023 release. I doubt they will release right in-between Christmas and New Years. It's probably going to hit in January, and that's if they can hold to the one every 4 week release rate.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'd rather they adjust as needed over trying to stay on a schedule that might hurt the effort. As impatient as i'd be over it.
Same. I just think they've bitten off more than they can chew with their time frame and apparent degree of changes. It would be nice if they would recognize that and announce it for Christmas 2024 or some time around then. That way they wouldn't need to rush things.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Same. I just think they've bitten off more than they can chew with their time frame and apparent degree of changes. It would be nice if they would recognize that and announce it for Christmas 2024 or some time around then. That way they wouldn't need to rush things.
I mean, even if it slips a month or two, the time frame seems fine. October-December 2024 is the likely time frame, based on prior WotC Edition releases.

Remove ads

Remove ads