• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One dozen new feats, woo!

Quip

First Post
bluto68 said:
Call me a little crazy...
OK. You're a little crazy.

bluto68 said:
Regular 6th level monk would go from doing d6+6 (Full power - Average 9.5) to 2d6+10 (full power average 17) with one feat.

Nope, he would have a d8. The idea was to have effectively an unarmed equivalent of an exotic weapon, the difference in damage is just the same as a longsword vs greatsword in your example.

bluto68 said:
And on the same note of game balance, Chug is an excellent feat.

I'll agree with you on that one. :)

bluto68 said:
In general, I'm not a big fan of the other feats. Seem just too powergamer friendly with little flavor.

They have just as much flavor as power attack or weapon focus, they make certain character concepts more viable and help focus on paticular themes. And any balanced feat can concievably be "powergamer friendly", powergaming is nothing more than a method that can be applied to almost anything.

DonAdam

Explorer
I like these.

For full body attack, though, I would let monks get 1.5x their strength bonus to damage (still no flurry) to get that two-handed weapon feel.

MarauderX

Explorer
Quip said:
FULL-BODY STRIKE [GENERAL]
You make powerful unarmed strikes by putting your entire body into each blow.
Requirements: Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Str 15+, BAB 4+
Effect: You may deal unarmed damage as a creature one size catagory larger than normal, and such unarmed attacks are treated as two handed weapons in all ways.
Normal: Unarmed atacks are normally considered light weapons.
Note: Monks cannot use their Flurry of Blows ability with this feat.

Li Shenron said:
Nice and balanced. The fact that Power Attack is not a common feat for Monks since they don't have full BAB and the restriction to Flurry of Blows help in preventing every Monk to take it.

Hm. I am thinking that the feat is a lot less than a mage casting Enlarge. The requirements are pretty hefty, and you can't even flurry. Power attack is a biggie, as there is no great bonus to damage for most monks even if they are willing to reduce their weak attack bonus (which most aren't). Enlarge lasts long enough for most fights and allows greater reach, flurry of blows, and is only 1st level. Granted there is an AC trade-off for using the spell, but the percentage of damage is greater for the flurry even if not using the spell vs this feat.
Another point is a subtle one... does the size increase just add +2 to the Strength bonus, or does it increase the damage die of the attacker? For instance, a 9th level monk has this feat and normally does 1d10, would the damage increase to 1d10+1 or 2d8?

Last edited:

handforged

First Post
the problem with the druid wildshape feats is that they become useless after a very short number of levels. As a druid advances they can wildshape into larger stronger forms anyway, so the brown bear with a +2 to dex seems pretty unappealing when you can wildshape into a Dire Bear. If you changed the wording(which is unclear anyway, the only time it mentions being resticted to one form is in the Special: section) so that it applied to a family of similar creatures, then that could make sense. Something like all bears, or all birds, sort of a thing.

Scion

First Post
MarauderX said:
Another point is a subtle one... does the size increase just add +2 to the Strength bonus, or does it increase the damage die of the attacker? For instance, a 9th level monk has this feat and normally does 1d10, would the damage increase to 1d10+1 or 2d8?

If I am reading it right marauder it would increase the monks damage die to the next size category up. so a medium monk that does a d10 would do 2d8 and get 1:2 ratio with power attack. I really like the idea, but I am not sure if it is good enough though. Pretty high prereq's, the bonus is nice, but having to give up the bonus attacks from flurry might just push it back into the not-very-useful category. At high levels you give up 2 attacks at your highest bonus for a few extra points of damage per attack.. Personally I'd rather have 5 attacks at a few less points of damage than 3 attacks at a lower bonus for slightly more damage. Especially with the feat cost.. but still, it is a really nice idea ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads