• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One of my players is attempting to hit on one of my NPCs!!!

Dwimmerlied

First Post
That's right: One of my players is attempting to hit on one of my NPCs!!!

So, this should be a good thing, right? It will add to character development and enrich the story (especially because I had already planned to have this character die off in a couple of sessions...)

I'm planning for my next session, so I'd like some advice on how to handle this. The story part shouldn't be too hard really, and I'd like to keep this kinda stuff behind the scenes anyhow. But I'm trying to develop a good mechanical way to play this out.

The NPC target is the captain of the guard in a small town; I've depicted her as a bit of a strictly-business ice maiden type (though shes naieve and good-hearted). The player has given some treasures she found as gifts, and engaged her as a martial trainer.

What now? I'm considering a few ideas, but would love feedback;

I'm wondering if the diplomacy skill is robust enough to handle this? Or a simple charisma check. Perhaps certain knowledge gained or particular overtures might provide circumstance bonuses (though I haven't come up with ideas for any yet!, so also suggestions for this sort of thing would be much appreciated).

Have you encountered this kind of thing in your game before? Did it produce a nice background element to your campaign, or just get kinda weird?? Please share your stories!!

Starfox

Hero
To me, Charisma and Diplomacy are fast-track methods to get people talking. How many people would ever get hitched if it took a DC 20 Diplomacy check? from both sides at once? Diplomacy can help you make a good first impression, but to go beyond that it is more about role-playing. To me, the closest to a "relationships" skill DnD has is Sense Motive.

In this case, I say just go for it. A bit of romance can add drama and motivation later on. Just don't make her a fainting flower just because a PC is interested in her - it was a strong woman who caught this guy's eye, so if she suddenly has to be rescued from orcs, it breaks the image. She sounds more like the one to send him after someone's kidnapped kid and perhaps share the angst of whether they'll be there in time.

knottyprof

First Post
Diplomacy is the most misused and misunderstood skill as far as I am concerned and players and DMs alike tend to rely on a skill check versus actual role-playing. If the romance adds to the story line then I don't see the issue and if the NPC is murdered by the arch villian all the more motivation on the part of the player to look for some retribution. If the NPC has an iniital reaction of indifferent or hostile, I guess you could use Diplomacy as a means for the character to change that to something more appropriate, but again I would rely more on the storyline versus a random skill check to see where the role-played relationship goes.

Gomer212

First Post
Ah, you should have some of my players. Some of them get pretty rambunctious around an attractive NPC.

Have you encountered this kind of thing in your game before? Did it produce a nice background element to your campaign, or just get kinda weird?? Please share your stories!!

I've seen both happen, "nice background element" and "kinda weird". I find the the trick is to draw up distinct lines as to how much "flirty" RP goes on to avoid either the players or DMs from feeling uncomfortable. I also have no problem with sort of "closing the curtains" on such scenes and pretty much let the PC imagine how the scenario goes.

I use Diplomacy check as a guide for NPC reactions (mostly "at first sight" reactions) but that's all. Logic, RP, and Storyline should usually take precedence here.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Whatever happened to the good ol' days when a person simply walked up to a potential mate, clubbed him/her over the head, and then dragged him/her off to a remote place? All of this romancing and gift giving is really hard work. It also takes away from the game. If you let the relationship continue, then I have to flirt with my friends once a week. If I have the NPC kidnapped or killed, then I have to deal with a mourning fiasco and some deviation to the current adventure. It can get ugly. That's why I usual have the NPC devour the PC character shortly after the courting process. That's a fairly natural process, so I run with it.

I've never really had bad experiences with PC/NPC relationships. They are great for hooks or just for putting a player at ease between adventures when he/she gets to come home for a bit. The only time it has gotten weird is when the player wants to roll Constitution checks to see how good she was in the sack. It makes for a great laugh around the table when she rolls terribly. And by she, I'm referring to my wife wanting to roll checks on her own characters performance. Not all women suddenly get conservative when they roleplay their female characters. She can be like a 12 y/o boy playing D&D.

No Diplomacy check is required. IMO, Diplomacy is the deal-making skill, so unless he's proposing to pay her he doesn't need to touch the dice (in which case, we probably can't discuss that any further on this forum). The NPC either likes him, or not.

(This is the sort of thing "reaction checks" could have handled in older games. Even an uncharismatic PC might roll lucky sometime.)

Then fade to black. No need to take up time with their exercises, although the relationship itself may become important if it's plot- or story-relevant.

The only time it has gotten weird is when the player wants to roll Constitution checks to see how good she was in the sack.

Or when they roll for "length" and want to add an extra die (and drop the lowest) because it's a "heroic stat".

delericho

Legend
According to the "Book of Erotic Fantasy", the key skill check involved in seduction attempts would be Bluff, while Sense Motive can obviously be used to cut through that. Plus, it discusses the use of Perform for, ahem, performance.

Or, for a rather less mature take on the same, I believe F.A.T.A.L. has some material about... attributes.

Never thought I'd reference those two in the same post. :)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'm planning for my next session, so I'd like some advice on how to handle this.

Downplay the romance as off-screen, if at all, and maybe throw in a bit of imagery like a tower crumbling in the distance and the occasional tunnel collapse, that sort of thing. Your player will get the point. ;)

Remove ads