• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One party member in serious trouble (Albert/Eddy/Maarten, STAY OUT!)

AddizAbeba

First Post
Hi all,

In my campaign one PC (Rog8/Fig1) went into the 'big bad prison' (google 'Gornonwood') to deliver a message to the warden. The warden having a personal grudge against the PCs family, instantly did not let him go, and now is torturing him with the help of his 'pet' Vampire.

The party outside doesn't know this, and will wait for the warden to go outside in response to the message and then ambush him. The warden has no intention to go outside.

The one PC will now very probably permanently lose levels. I really hate this to happen, but then they did not take any precautions on him entering the prison. They do not know of the vampire, and think the prison is a nice state prison (but it really is the worst nightmare of every criminal). Though a former associate of the warden told them this warden is himself a very bad criminal (this was also the reason to lure him out to ambush him).

They will go in to rescue their friend, but will probably wait for two days, so the captured PC will have to roll his saves versus the vampire's energy drain (which is quite low, luckily), to prevent the level loss become permanent.

Do you have any ideas I could use to limit the permanent damage done?

AddizAbeba

First Post
Never mind, just saw the srd 'Restoration' spell.
from srd
Restoration
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 4, Pal 4
Components: V, S, M

This spell functions like lesser restoration, except that it also dispels negative levels and restores one experience level to a creature who has had a level drained. The drained level is restored only if the time since the creature lost the level is equal to or less than one day per caster level. A character who has a level restored by restoration has exactly the minimum number of experience points necessary to restore him or her to his or her previous level.
So the cleric will just cure him then. It will not take 9 days before they rescue him.
Hmm... I hope the player in question has not read this. He is sweating hard... >:)

All: thanks for not replying and letting me figure it out all by myself, LOL!

Last edited:

Neil Bishop

First Post
You could always just rule that the negative levels are temporary. That's how I prefer to play it: I've never liked level drains (or ability point drain: damage, yes).

AddizAbeba

First Post
Neil Bishop said:
You could always just rule that the negative levels are temporary. That's how I prefer to play it: I've never liked level drains (or ability point drain: damage, yes).
Ah well, they are saving to buy/find some diamond dust now...
9th level cleric gives them 9 days to arrange for that ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads