5E One Shot #3: Lady of the Mist

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Mister Bubbles raises his eyebrows in response to Ivar.

"You're a very sceptical person, aren't you?" The half-orc's words are harsher than his tone; in fact, there seems to be a bit of respect in it. "Never met a dwarf before. What do you do, or are you in the unicorn hamster business yourself as well?"
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Forlorn Forest
Evening
Round 0

“Skeptical keeps me alive,” Ivar said. “Never trust a smilin’ drow, as they say.” He pushed back his hood to reveal his gray complexion and white hair, certainly like no surface dwarf they’d ever seen. “An’ bounties are me trade, mate. Huntin’ a drow up ‘ere on the surface, if ye’ve seen any. Moight be gaein’ by the name Zulayka Xorlarrin. Moight no’.”

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspiration:
AC: 14
HP: 15/15 HD: 1/1d12+3
Rage: 2/2/LR
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
[/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"I always thought drow were stories to scare children," Mister Bubbles says, shaking his head and apparently not realizing that Ivar is a duergar and not a surface dwarf. "Like demons. Except that demons do exist."

The half-orc looks Ivar up and down, a subtle tension barely noticable in the half-orc. Almost imperceptibly his hand stealthily sneaks to grasp a handaxe on his belt, ready to draw it should the situation escalate.

His voice is gentle but slightly strained as he continues, "Bounties, eh? Does that include re-capturing escaped slaves?"
 

Greenmtn

Explorer
Bilkar Gnome Druid

Without looking up from Squeeks the Squirrel. After his first sentance, Bilkar lowers his voice as if he is worried someone outside the group might be listening for some dubious reason.
"Drow real. Drow help Bilkar. Mad wizard want Bilkar to be lightening bug. Bilkar not lightening bug... Bilkar is Squirrel." When Bilkar mentions not being a lightening bug he seems to focus a lot on his hand almost as if he is checking it for something, and is comforted that he doesn't seem to find what he is looking for.

"Bilkar does not understand choosing mates from names. Humans would be better if humans mated to make good young."
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Forlorn Forest
Evening
Round 0

“Trust me, ye’d rather meet a demon than a drow,” Ivar said. “They’re real enough, though.” He saw the half-orc’s hand drift to his weapon and pointedly set his war pick between his feet, leaning his hands on the pommel. “Escaped slaves are often most o’ me work. But nae one’s payin’ me f’r tha’ roight noo.”

Ivar glanced over at the muttering druid. “Wot was that, mate? Ye seen a drow ‘round these parts?”

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspiration:
AC: 14
HP: 15/15 HD: 1/1d12+3
Rage: 2/2/LR
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
[/sblock]
 

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: Please continue on with the campfire talk. I had to work back to back doubles due to the weather and am now just catching up on here. Bilkar has traveled almost 300 miles south since the Irongrad game, to let you know. At least that is where this adventure takes place compared to the other.
 

Greenmtn

Explorer
Bilkar Gnome Druid

Bilkar scrunches up his face in disgust. "Bilkar not mate with Ivan. Not make good young." Bilkar looks at Ivar for a moment before continuing as if measuring how much more he should say.

"Bilkar was in pack with 2 Drow. Not near here. In Land Humans name" He seems to struggle to remember the name. "Cormyr."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Mister Bubbles relaxes. This bounty hunter is not after him, at least it seems that way. The fact that he has no qualms capturing escaped slaves, however, does not sit well with the half-orc, but he decides to let the matter rest for now.

He nods to Ivar and releases his grasp on the axe. "Just checking."

Then the half-orc turns to Bilkar with genuine amazement. The creature claims it joined not one but two drow, and lived to tell about it! Perhaps there is more to the mad gnome than Mister Bubbles first thought.

With narrowed eyes and a pleasant tone, he asks Bilkar, "How did you escape the drow? Set your little beasties on them, did you?"
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Lee Ravenwood, Wood Elf Monk

The elf woman has been sitting quietly all this time, her eyes are closed as she sits with her legs crossed. But she is not idle. She is brushing her hair methodically with an unadorned, fine hair brush. Her head turns slightly toward the gnome. It is the first sign that she is paying attention to the conversation at all.
 

Greenmtn

Explorer
Bilkar Gnome Druid

Bilkar cocks his head with a confused look on his face. "Escape? Bilkar not escape. That pack is no more." Bilkar seems to think for a moment on how to explain things to these "civilized" people.

"What are the words. Bilkar thinks... Mad Wizard made many sick. Sick made pack to find way to not be sick. Not sick any more. No more pack." Bilkar makes a motion with his arms, bringing them out wide. "This pack catch man. Then no more pack. Bilkar go, Ivar go, All go... Same, no escape, no fear." Bilkar smiles "The Drow good mates, make good young some day."
 

tglassy

Explorer
Ryder couldn’t help but grin at that last statement. “Would that we all could find good mates to make good young!”
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Forlorn Forest
Evening
Round 0

“Cormyr, eh?” Ivar asked. “I ‘ear there are lots o’ drow in the Cormanthor Forest,” he admitted. “Long way from Menzobarranzen there. Yeh get any names from them two drow?” he asked Bilkar.

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspiration:
AC: 14
HP: 15/15 HD: 1/1d12+3
Rage: 2/2/LR
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
[/sblock]
 

Greenmtn

Explorer
Bilkar Gnome Druid

Bilkar shakes his head no. "Bilkar does not know Drow names. Hard on tongue. Besides If Bilkar knew and gave a old packmates name to Ivar. Could Ivar trust Bilkar to not betray Ivar if Bilkar met a Predator hunting Ivar?" Bilkars face and voice convey the message that he considers that topic finalized for now at least.

"Squeeks says that there were men on horses here 2 days ago. Pack is on the right path."
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Forlorn Forest
Evening
Round 0

Ivar grumbled a bit about idiot gnomes. Looked like he might have to head to Cormyr after this little expedition. At least if would pay for the trip. He would have to let the Xorlarrin’s know.

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspiration:
AC: 14
HP: 15/15 HD: 1/1d12+3
Rage: 2/2/LR
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
[/sblock]
 

EarlyBird

Villager
The night tarries on and soon everyone is left to his own thoughts and in getting some sleep. The night passes quietly and in the morning the young sparrow Bilkar had sent ahead returns with no new news for the group. Still satisfied they are on the correct track they mount up and head out once more for Avenia.
________________________________
late afternoon

They reach the small fishing village under an oppressive sun, since there has not been a cloud in the sky all day. There is only a dozen one story buildings almost all identical in their stone structure, thatch roofs, and squat square appearance. Not knowing exactly where to go they move through the village to where it meets the Lake of Steam, where a large group of people are gathered.

As you approach you notices many of the men folk pulling in boats, or tending nets. While the women and children look to be cleaning and hanging fish over a small fire. Everyone stops in there work, the children running to the men near the boats, or hiding behind apron strings, while the men folk move to get between the strangers and their womenfolk.

OOC: Groups choice how they wish to handle this. So the question is:
What do you wish to do?
 

tglassy

Explorer
“Fellow fishermen!” Ryder calls, arms wide and unthreatening. “It does my heart good to be around my kind once more. Why, I can remember as a lad when my father first taught me to tie a net, may he Rest In Peace. My whole Village was taken in a storm, washed into the sea by the wrath of Umberlee. I only survived by luck. But enough reminiscing.

“We are but humble travelers, good people, and are in need of resting our aching feet. Tell me, is the hospitality of fisherfolk as generous here as it was in my forgotten village, so long ago?”

OOC: aaaaand that’ll be a deception check for the story to get them on our side.

[roll0]
 

EarlyBird

Villager
You see some of the children smile and run back to their duties. All the folk but an old man in his early sixties goes back to their business, as he approaches the group. "We have no inn here I am sorry, but we do have a tap room where you could rest you feet and quench your thirst."
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"Hello, we've been trying to catch up to a friend of ours. We heard he was traveling this way, maybe a day or two ago. Have you seen him?" Lee asks.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Avenia
Afternoon
Round 0

Ivar muttered from within his hood at the oppressive ball of fire in the sky that left him nearly blind. He would have preferred to push on in the night. He noted the reactions of the villagers and kept within the confines of his hood, just in case.

Ryder seemed to handle the wary citizens adroitly and got them invited to the local taproom. An ale sounded good, though the alcohol on the surface left much to be desired. The others had the talking well in hand, so Ivar glanced around the village, keeping an eye on things.

Perception, sunlight sensitivity: 2D20.LOW(1)+3 = [20, 19]+3 = 22

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspiration:
AC: 14
HP: 15/15 HD: 1/1d12+3
Rage: 2/2/LR
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
[/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top