D&D 5E One-shot kills

CapnZapp

Legend
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION]
Sorry I accidentally wrote secondary attacks when I actually meant to write secondary effects. As in "secondary attacks should not be affected, but secondary effects like Sneak Attack should be". Or do you call that a primary effect then?
No problem, but not sure what you gain by talking about "secondary effects".

Read the section on criticals. It doesn't talk about primary or secondary anything, only that you double all dice that is part of the attack. (You double all weapon dice)

Sneak dice is such dice and they are doubled.

Dice from a rider spell that allow a save is a separate thing, and is not doubled.

If you call the fire damage from a flaming sword "primary" and the damage dice from Wyvern poison "secondary" to help you discern what dice to double and what dice not to double, fine.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Oh! Best death ever:

We are playing D&D 2nd ed, it's our first game, we are teenagers. It's an adventure I made. The players don't know the monsters at all and are trying to use "real world" logic. There is a door (probably leading to kobold treasure) that is guarded by a boar chained to the floor (think of a guard dog on a chain, except a boar... yeah I know).

So one of the character says "ha! I draw my sword and step forward!" (he was a fighter). Another player (also a fighter) says "I don't know dude, boars are pretty vicious".

The first player says "it's a *pig*" with contempt.

So... he misses, I roll for the boar, hit, roll damage, max. One dead PC.

I would have fudged I think, but for that "it's a pig" comment :D

Whirlingdervish

First Post
I have zero problems with killing characters in any edition of the game i believe in permanant level drain, death via massive damage, and save or die effects. I also have no problems assigning high DC's for traps. I do not see the big deal the hero's are not supposed to win all the time they are supposed to lose as much as they win.

For me my best recent death was my 12 year old nephews character he has been gaming with us for about a year and everything we tried to teach him goes in one ear and out the other he thinks he has to be good everything even other characters roles... well we are playing BECMI and i am running the group through the palace of the silver princess and for those of you who know the module on the second level you find and fight a Decapus a carnivourous plant with nine arms.... the description of the room is that it is empty my nephew rushes in before anyone could say anything and i asked him if he was sure he wanted to do that. He said yes and i rolled 9d20 hit on six of the attacks and proceded to let the plant eat his character. Then i made him roll a new character without any help from the group. He spent two weeks grumbling until my sister told him to shut up it was his own fault...

No problem, but not sure what you gain by talking about "secondary effects".

Read the section on criticals. It doesn't talk about primary or secondary anything, only that you double all dice that is part of the attack. (You double all weapon dice)
You introduced those terms:
"criticals double all the dice of an attack, but doesn't affect any secondary effects or attacks."

Azurewraith

Explorer
I have zero problems with killing characters in any edition of the game i believe in permanant level drain, death via massive damage, and save or die effects. I also have no problems assigning high DC's for traps. I do not see the big deal the hero's are not supposed to win all the time they are supposed to lose as much as they win.

For me my best recent death was my 12 year old nephews character he has been gaming with us for about a year and everything we tried to teach him goes in one ear and out the other he thinks he has to be good everything even other characters roles... well we are playing BECMI and i am running the group through the palace of the silver princess and for those of you who know the module on the second level you find and fight a Decapus a carnivourous plant with nine arms.... the description of the room is that it is empty my nephew rushes in before anyone could say anything and i asked him if he was sure he wanted to do that. He said yes and i rolled 9d20 hit on six of the attacks and proceded to let the plant eat his character. Then i made him roll a new character without any help from the group. He spent two weeks grumbling until my sister told him to shut up it was his own fault...
Ah the moment children learn its sweeter than sugar.

Remove ads