D&D 5E [One-Shots] To Catch a Thief (Level 1) OOC - Recruiting

SunGold

First Post
I'm in other long-term PbP games, so if my one-shot PCs only make it a level or two and then retire, I'm cool with it.

EarlyBird

Explorer
I'm in other long-term PbP games, so if my one-shot PCs only make it a level or two and then retire, I'm cool with it.

Another aspect of this was for players to try combos of race/class/archetype etc. that they weren't sure of. This way if something doesn't click or they don't like the play of the build, they aren't in an in depth campaign and can easily retire their character.

SunGold

First Post
This topic actually brings up a question. Are you guys actually limiting the number of PCs people have in each group?

Like, say Angad, my mountain dwarf wizard here, gets to level 3 in this game. I decide I like her, and may bring her into another game eventually. In the meantime, I play one-shots with characters from other groups. Then a level-1 game comes along where I'd like to play another character from the same group as Angad, but she's level 3 now. Do I have to trash her to make a new Group C character, or can she stay in my stable of PCs?

EarlyBird

Explorer
Great question, maybe we will have tiers of characters as this progress.

This is totally a work in progress as we advance along we can bring about rules that help make for great gaming.

SunGold

First Post
My 2 cents: as far as I can tell, the only reason to limit the number of characters is so that people don't play the same role in every game. But isn't that something that should be handled in the OOC thread for each game? ("_____, you played the tank last time, mind if I take that role in this one?" etc.)

I understand the reasoning, but IMO the drawbacks greatly outweigh the benefits. It shouldn't matter if everyone has ten characters in every "group"--if a handful of people can't work out who's playing what in a friendly and civil manner, TBH I don't think I want to be in that game anyway. ;)

EarlyBird

Explorer
PC roles weren't what I was thinking about in this. I was thinking about types of adventures mostly.

Having your seafaring character for that adventure, or your sleuth, etc. The roles came about because that is usually how party creation works, not player creation.

EarlyBird

Explorer
To not have to check over 5 different fighter types from 3 players, and 8 full spellcasters from another 3.

Limits had to be set, it was just what they came out to be.

I think a tier system will allow for some fun, but players will need to get a character in a group up a tier before they get to start another. Always set goals.

SunGold

First Post
I guess that makes sense if you're checking all of them right now, as opposed to each DM checking the PCs for their games as they're announced.

Ah well, perhaps I'm looking too far ahead. One game at a time. :)

Remove ads