One Year Later: D&D 5E PHB & MM Still On NYT Bestseller Lists

It's been year since D&D 5th Edition hit our store shelves (if we're counting the Starter Set); or since August 2014 since the Player's Handbook released. The D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual is hanging in at #7 on the "Games & Activities" bestsellers list at the New York Times, while the Player's Handbook is #3. Although it seems Minecraft has books, which are kicking both their asses. Who knew? (Lots of people, apparently!)

It's been year since D&D 5th Edition hit our store shelves (if we're counting the Starter Set); or since August 2014 since the Player's Handbook released. The D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual is hanging in at #7 on the "Games & Activities" bestsellers list at the New York Times, while the Player's Handbook is #3. Although it seems Minecraft has books, which are kicking both their asses. Who knew? (Lots of people, apparently!)

You can see the current list here. A snapshot is below.

nytbsl.jpg

smiteworks

Explorer
There is a reason Microsoft bought Minecraft for $2.5 Billion. I confess that I simply don't get it... but obviously a large number of other people do. Of all the crazes and fads, we could do much worse than Minecraft, though, so I applaud them for making something that spurs creativity.

ccooke

Adventurer
It's an interesting thing to note that Minecraft is a massive cultural phenomenon right now... and the PHB is selling better than all but the most popular book based on it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
This is cool and all but didn''t the Pathfinder core book stay in the top ten for years too?

Pathfinder was top of IcV2 for a while, but not Amazon or NYT for a long period of time. At least, not that I ever saw.

Some argue that's because they direct-sell so much of their stuff.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
On Amazon, the PHB is currently #76 in Books.

Not in Books > Games or somesuch. Just in Books, overall.

The DMG is running at #174 in Books. The MM comes in at #177.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You know there were a LOT of people that said, "Sure it had a good launch but talk to me again after a year and well see if it's still selling well then".

OK...here we are. Let's talk.

I personally don't think of this as a year (for me it's a year after the last core book comes out that's most relevant). But this is "A" point to talk about.

One thing about RPG books, multiple sets. I just bought a second set off Amazon a month ago (or so...) to go with the first set I bought at release. A 3rd PHB wouldn't be out of the question either (after the errata is included).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This is cool and all but didn''t the Pathfinder core book stay in the top ten for years too?

We have had threads on this...but I guess we like familiar topics here.

It might be in "top ten" gaming for a while. Not #1 or all top 3-5 (it has varied a bit). Its highest overall rating as far as I could tell (again, threads on this) was about 600.

But yes, they have a different sales model, business model, expectations, etc, etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads