Ongoing Damage cards -- need suggestions for naming

withak

First Post
In our last session, the players were up against a deathjump spider -- a deadly foe, but less deadly if the players and DM are constantly forgetting about the ongoing poison damage! To alleviate this problem, I'm going to hand out index cards with Ongoing Damage information on them when a character is subject to it.

However, rather than just having a rather-boring "Ongoing Damage" card, I thought I'd get creative and give each damage type/damage amount combo a specific name. For example, fire 5 is "On Fire". The problem is, I'm having trouble coming up with good names for some of them.

As far as I can tell, the acid, cold, fire, necrotic, poison, and psychic damage types are all represented in the MM with monsters that do 5, 10, or 15 ongoing damage, and none of the force, lightning, radiant, or thunder keywords have any ongoing damage associated with them.

Here's what I have so far, in order of increasing damage (5/10/15):
Acid: ? / ? / ?
Cold: Chilled / Iced / Freezing
Fire: On Fire / Burning / Blazing
Necrotic: Tainted / Corrupted / Defiled
Poison: Envenomed / Poisoned / ?
Psychic: ? / ? / ?

Obviously, acid is giving me the most trouble. "Iced" is kinda lame, but serviceable. The others I like. Specific names for the psychic damage may not be doable, since damage of that type could be described in so many different ways.

Any suggestions? :D

Beastman

First Post
Acid: ? / ? / ?
Cold: Chilled / Iced / Freezing
Fire: On Fire / Burning / Blazing
Necrotic: Tainted / Corrupted / Defiled
Poison: Envenomed / Poisoned / ?
Psychic: ? / ? / ?

Obviously, acid is giving me the most trouble. "Iced" is kinda lame, but serviceable. The others I like. Specific names for the psychic damage may not be doable, since damage of that type could be described in so many different ways.

Any suggestions? :D

Perhaps this can help you out: http://thesaurus.reference.com/

dragon_eater

First Post
Acid: Melting? Dissolving? Corroding?
Poison - Intoxicated... ok maybe not. Contaminated?

I'm also no sure about Psychic, I'll try and think on it.

cptkevin

First Post
And what about force, radiant and normal damage?

I could suggest for radiant:

Bright / Incandescent / Radiactive

but no idea about force and "normal" ongoing damage.

Bye

Remove ads