D&D 5E Oni Shape Change Question

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Here's a weird question...

The Oni's Shape Change ability reads as follows: "The oni magically polymorphs into a Small or Medium humanoid, into a Large giant, or back into its true form."
Emphasis mine.

Let's say that an Oni had infiltrated a Duergar society. It can easily polymorph into a Duergar... and it's natural shape is large... could it not then, also mimic the Duergar's ability to Enlarge? By the RAW this seems to not be the case, as an Enlarged Duergar is still a humanoid, not a giant, but I also can't seem to figure out a reason why this shouldn't work as intended. I'm curious what y'aa folks think.

Gradine

Yeah, I'd absolutely have no problem ruling that way on my own home table, but I was working on the concept for something that'll eventually be published, so I wanted to make sure that folks didn't quirk an eyebrow at the idea.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, I'd absolutely have no problem ruling that way on my own home table, but I was working on the concept for something that'll eventually be published, so I wanted to make sure that folks didn't quirk an eyebrow at the idea.
I would be shocked if WotC objected to the shapechanging working the way you describe.

aco175

Legend
I would not have a problem with it like the others are saying. I would just want to limit things to the oni ability to shapeshift and not the ability of the duergar- I would not want to set anything like shifting into an eladrin and them being able to misty step.

Gradine

I would not have a problem with it like the others are saying. I would just want to limit things to the oni ability to shapeshift and not the ability of the duergar- I would not want to set anything like shifting into an eladrin and them being able to misty step.
Absolutely; the intention here is that the Oni is using their Shape Change ability to take the form of a enlarged Duergar, not copying the Enlarge ability of the Duergar.

ichabod

Legned
I would say that RAW it is not legal. But like the others, I don't think doing it is a real problem. If I was a player at your table and you did this, I would not have a problem with it. I think there are players out there who would have a problem with it, but I wouldn't be too worried about those players.

Remove ads