Online play?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Depend on your style of play. If theater of the mind, you can just use Google Meet, Skype, or Twitch. If you want to share maps you can share windows using these tools.

If you want to use tokens that players can control, then you'll want a proper VTT.

Roll20 is my preferred VTT platform as a player.

Roll20 is a good tool and easier to use than Maptools or Fantasy Grounds, but I still find it too much work to prep maps and removing fog of world on the fly is not very convenient unless you put a lot of time prepping the maps.

If you are not building your own campaigns and adventures though, and are willing to spend the money, buying published adventures on Roll20 or Fantsy Grounds is the way to go. All the prep work is done for you. I'd probably go with Roll20 as it seems easier to use, and you don't have to install anything. But a lot of people swear by Fantasy Grounds and the new Fantasy Grounds Unity version should be a big improvement on the interface.

One thing I really like about Roll20 is the system they set up to publish and find games. Makes it easy to find games to join or players to join your games.

My main complaint with Roll20 and its community is that so many DMs running games on it use Discord. I hate the Discord interface. I'm not sure if people are having issues with Roll20s voice functionality, because if voice is built in, why require a separate service just for voice?

I played around with Map Tools but it required more of an investment of time to learn it, enter content, and get it set up correctly for play than I was willing to spend.

If you want to build your own campaigns, I've been following World Anvil. I've been using RealmWorks but it is no longer being developed. Also, I've been running a campaign in Rappan Athuk, which is part of Frog God Games "Lost Lands" setting and they'll be releasing Lost Lands on World Anvil. I no longer have the time to put in all the work to put content into RealmWorks myself and new new content is going to be release on their content market, so having a huge amount of content the fleshes out an entire campaign setting would be great.

Hope this is useful.

Remove ads