D&D 5E Online RPG Tools Platform Demiplane Announces '5E Nexus'

Demiplane, the platform which hosts tools suites for a range of tabletop RPGs including Pathfinder, World of Darkness, and Free League's offerings, has announced a new 'nexus' -- the 5E Nexus based off the 5E System Reference Document which WotC recently released into Creative Commons. Demiplane, the home to official digital toolsets for a diverse range of award-winning tabletop roleplaying...

5e NEXUS Screens.png

Demiplane, the platform which hosts tools suites for a range of tabletop RPGs including Pathfinder, World of Darkness, and Free League's offerings, has announced a new 'nexus' -- the 5E Nexus based off the 5E System Reference Document which WotC recently released into Creative Commons.

Demiplane, the home to official digital toolsets for a diverse range of award-winning tabletop roleplaying games (TTRPGs), is proud to announce its next digital toolset, a first-of-its kind for the roleplaying community: 5e NEXUS. Explore more at 5eNEXUS.com.

This innovation recognizes that interest in alternatives to first-party Dungeons & Dragons products has never been higher, with millions of players expanding their horizons into new game systems and new 5e-based worlds. Even before the Wizards of the Coast debacle in January, a large portion of the 5e community used resources from independent publishers to bring their campaigns to life. 5e NEXUS will serve these players by delivering a premium experience for 5e fans to not only prep and play, but also connect with each other through matchmaking, group creation, scheduling, built-in video voice and chat, and professional tools for Game Masters ready to earn some gold by running amazing adventures.

This new digital toolset–referred to as a NEXUS on Demiplane–brings vital capabilities to third party 5e publishers and creators. Instead of a toolset to support one Tarrasque-sized publisher, 5e NEXUS will support game content from multiple independent publishers who use and base their game content off SRD 5.1 content, which was originally created for the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game and is now publicly available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Demiplane’s support for independent 5e publishers and the massive D&D player community who enjoy their books will arrive in three stages:

Stage One: Pre-Launch, available now: 5e group creation and group-finding tools. These are based on proprietary technology that compares a series of preferences to find the best matches between players and Game Masters. This supports any way that players want to play: using Demiplane’s built-in video, voice, chat, and dice rolling service, their favorite VTT, or simply as a means to find, schedule, and manage their in-person tabletop game.

Stage 2: 5e NEXUS Early Access Launch, available 1H 2023: Official NEXUS-enhanced digital tools for game books from multiple independent publishers. These will include Demiplane’s Digital Reader and Rules Compendium tools to make it easy for 5e enthusiasts to discover, learn, and play games from an assortment of their favorite 5e publishers. TheDigital Reader is a technology that presents all of a game book’s content dynamically formatted for mobile, tablet, and desktop use. To reduce the time it takes to learn and prep, Digital Reader books include integrated tooltips, drill-down sidebars, and cross-references that span a player's entire digital library. The Rules Compendium is an invaluable tool to have at the table while you’re playing or when you need to quickly find specific game rules information. It categorizes and sorts the most frequently-needed game elements so players and GMs can find exactly what they need without slowing down the flow of the game.

Stage 3: 5e NEXUS Character Tools, available 2H 2023: 5e games from independent creators and third-party publishers create orders-of-magnitude more options for players, and Character Tools on 5e NEXUS will unleash character creation creativity on a whole new level with a character builder and digital character sheet.

“As the tabletop roleplaying space thrived in recent years, the openness of 5e led to the creation of indispensable expanded content from myriad creators and publishers. Every play group I come across uses third-party content in their games,” said Adam Bradford, Chief Development Officer of Demiplane, “The challenge still remains to make all that content accessible in a unified and seamless way. 5e NEXUS is a major step in that direction, giving fans the high-quality digital tools they crave without having to leave their favorite toys in the toybox.” Demiplane is pleased to stand alongside the community to support a vibrant, diverse range of independent 5e publishers for years to come. In the days and weeks ahead, look for announcements on specific publishers and the titles coming to the Early Access launch of 5e NEXUS. You can stay in the know by:

●signing up for inbox alerts,
●following us on Twitter,
●joining us on FB, and
●tuning into Demiplane’s weekly Dev Update with host, Demiplane Chief Development Officer, and father of D&D Beyond Adam Bradford

If you are an independent 5e publisher interested in learning more about 5e NEXUS, get intouch with us at publishers@demiplane.com

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
giphy.gif

The group discovery tools are something that WotC should have done a long time ago, as they have a vested interest in creating as many actively playing groups as possible. I'll probably jump in and check the tools out to run some games. I am very happy with Discord at the moment, but I'm not opposed to learning a new tool set. (And I like running games for new people so long as I don't have to breathe in their germs.)

It will be interesting to see to what extent this bolsters the profile of non-WotC 5E publishers, since it will be as easy as D&D Beyond for groups to use content from (guessing) Kobold Press, Mage Hand, Paizo, etc. I expect all the ORCs to be in here in some fashion.

I picked a good time to back Tome of Magic 1 & 2 ...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It will be interesting to see to what extent this bolsters the profile of non-WotC 5E publishers, since it will be as easy as D&D Beyond for groups to use content from (guessing) Kobold Press, Mage Hand, Paizo, etc. I expect all the ORCs to be in here in some fashion.

As a prolific 5E publisher it’s not clear to me what this infrastructure would mean for us in practical terms.

Remove ads

Remove ads