Only Five Races in PHB2?

S'mon

Legend
Hey all! :)

Doesn't begin with 'De' but I was wondering if the mystery feline race would be the Rakasta's from Mystara (Voyage of the Princess Ark)?

lkj

Hero
Hey all! :)

Doesn't begin with 'De' but I was wondering if the mystery feline race would be the Rakasta's from Mystara (Voyage of the Princess Ark)?

I'm pretty sure the mention of the 'feline race' is a misunderstanding-- someone mistook a quote about the pictures of the ghostly cats on the cover as a hint about one of the races. In other words, there isn't any more evidence for a feline race than any other unmentioned one.

AD

kouk

First Post
I'm not sure what the problem was with name "Aasimar."

I heard one theory that people couldn't help but spell it "Assimar" on message boards, but I think a misspelling of Deva to "Diva" would be much, much worse.

Last edited:

I'm not sure what the problem was with name "Aasimar."

I heard one theory that people couldn't help but spell it "Assimar" on message boards, but I think a misspelling of Deva to "Diva" would be much, much worse.
I believe it had as much to do with pronunciation as spelling; it's hard to take seriously an angelic race that people regularly call "ass". That, and Aasimar (both the race and the name) didn't have much traction, or at least not as much as a celestial race could; they seemed more "goody two-shoes" than "BA celestial".

I currently pronounce "Deva" as "day-va"; I prefer that over the image I get when I say "diva" ("dee-va"). Yes, a few people will misspell it, but those people will get mocked for misspelling a four-letter word.

(Let's not forget, Deva isn't actually confirmed yet; it's just a popular fan speculation, AFAIK. We might still be way off base, although these Deva we've imagined are starting to look pretty cool.)

Terwox

First Post
Desmondu.

WotC has been shoving them down our throats for years.

Cheers, -- N

Nah, won't be Desmondu. Races with innate flight are mess up the "no flight til paragon" thing. (Ok, except the doppelganger.)

And besides... wow were those things stupid looking.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Nah, won't be Desmondu. Races with innate flight are mess up the "no flight til paragon" thing. (Ok, except the doppelganger.)
Raptorians just got Glide out of the door, IIRC. They improved with level. I could easily see some new flight-capable race doing the same.

(Could Desmondu actually fly in 3.0e? ISTR they bred special bats to do flying stuff, but I hated Desmondu, and have blocked them from my memory as much as possible.)

Cheers, -- N

Raptorians just got Glide out of the door, IIRC. They improved with level. I could easily see some new flight-capable race doing the same.

(Could Desmondu actually fly in 3.0e? ISTR they bred special bats to do flying stuff, but I hated Desmondu, and have blocked them from my memory as much as possible.)

Cheers, -- N
IIRC, they were Large-sized as well.

Remove ads