D&D 5E Only three pillars?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I agree with Lanefan. You cannot play without it, like the referee's prep. It's part of the game. How much it's considered "playing the game" is largely a matter of opinion...but completely irrelevant to just about everything.
Try playing live poker without cards. You can't do that, either, yet opening the pack of cards is not playing poker.

Just because something is essential to the game, does not make that thing playing the game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You open a new pack of cards before each hand?
No, but that's not relevant to the point. The point is that preparing to play is not play.
It also depends how a group handles levelling up. Here, it's all done at the table while other things (usually treasury division) are going on side-along, and is integrated into the rest of the at-table activity.
Yes, I already said that. :) In some games leveling up has a play component. The entire thing is not play, but if you involve training or beating up monks, then play is involved.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
No, but that's not relevant to the point. The point is that preparing to play is not play.

Yes, I already said that. :) In some games leveling up has a play component. The entire thing is not play, but if you involve training or beating up monks, then play is involved.

Personally Id put character creation and levellimg up in the same Pillar as Worldbuilding. Especially with things like backgrounds, ideals, bonds and relationships. They should have impact in play and be reflected in the longterm development of the ‘story’

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Personally Id put character creation and levellimg up in the same Pillar as Worldbuilding. Especially with things like backgrounds, ideals, bonds and relationships. They should have impact in play and be reflected in the longterm development of the ‘story’
World building both is and is not part of a pillar. If I'm making a city for my campaign outside of game play, I'm preparing. Preparing is by definition NOT the thing that is being prepared for, that's why it's preparing. However, if the world building is improvised during a game session, then it would fall under exploration

Choosing backgrounds, bonds, flaws, etc. are preparation for play. Using them during the game will fall into the three pillars of play. Having impact on play is not the same as play. Prep has great impact, but is not itself play.

Remove ads