D&D 5E Only three pillars?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
In D&D 5E the three pillars are combat, exploration, and social interaction.

Are there any other pillars to typical D&D-style play? In the old days we had things like domain management, mass combat, and seeking immortality.

Are there other pillars? If so, what are they? What other pillars should get attention?

Stormonu

Legend
I would put domain management, creating a dynasty, running a business, immortality and similar things into a pillar called Worldbuilding. It would be those effects that have a continuing narrative effect on the world around the PCs and might carry from one campaign to another.

Mass combat might fall into Worldbuilding, but moreso I'd expect it'd be an add-on to Combat.

Though definately shenanigans would be a pillar.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The fourth pillar of play should be a fishing mini-game.
Minigame.png

(I'm only half-kidding. I'd really like to see a supplement that has a bunch of mini-games in it for all sorts of situations: fishing contests, drinking contests, escaping pursuit, carnival games, etc. I know that these would fall under the "Social" pillar, but if done right, they'd be a lot more fun than the typical series of Charisma checks.)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The fourth pillar of play should be a fishing mini-game.
View attachment 292141

(I'm only half-kidding. I'd really like to see a supplement that has a bunch of mini-games in it for all sorts of situations: fishing contests, drinking contests, escaping pursuit, carnival games, etc. I know that these would fall under the "Social" pillar, but if done right, they'd be a lot more fun than the typical series of Charisma checks.)
I'm all for that. Big fan of subsystems here!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Are there other pillars? If so, what are they? What other pillars should get attention?
The fourth pillar is Downtime.

This pillar includes domain work (i.e. home/base/castle/stronghold construction and management), treasury division, training, spell research, potion/scroll/item construction, family dealings, business dealings, investments, and all the other stuff not done in the adventuring field; each at either the party or individual PC level.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Does murdering shopkeepers count as social interaction? Mostly kidding (mostly).
In my homebrew campaign, the party's hometown (and "home base" for their adventures) is a retirement community of old adventurers. All of the shop keepers, temple clergy, and government officials are high-level NPCs who all smirk and roll their eyes when these adorable little characters start trying to threaten or talk down to them.

I roll everything out in the open (we play on Roll20) so the players got a glimpse of the bartender's stats when he broke up a bar fight. "Plus ten?! The friggin' old bartender is swinging at plus ten to hit?!" They decided to behave themselves for the rest of the night, and every night since.

Remove ads