• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oops, I might of uh, made a small mistake.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
How bad would it be if someone created two continuously connected portals, sent one into deep space, and dropped the other into the ocean?

How difficult would it be to do?
Do most of the realm worlds even have deep space?
I think what you meant to ask was "Can a 17th-level wizard drain an entire ocean?" The answer is "yes."

That doesn't mean someone of equal (or even slightly lesser) power couldn't refill the ocean and fix the problem.

Greenfield

Adventurer
A Decanter of Endless Water puts out a little under 2 billion gallons of water in a year, and it can be salt water at the user's option. It's been said that the classic adventure setting, Blackmoor, came to be because someone dropped such a decanter into a hole, and the water eventually created a huge swamp.

All you've done is the reverse.

So what would I do, as the DM?

Congratulations, you've just created a navigational hazard, a new Maelstrom if you will, and laid the foundation for some future adventure. probably by another group. For your group? Life goes on.

As a player I never, *ever* presume that my character is the first person in the history of the world to come up with some neat and nifty way to destroy a monster, and economy, or a world.

Do any of you ever read the (extremely intermittent) webcomic Dungeons and Denizens? The main character is "Tech Support" in a dungeon, resetting traps, making sure all the wandering monsters know their schedules, feeding the pit monsters and cleaning up after the slime molds.

Consider having a secret society in your world, the Caretakers Guild, who basically does the same thing on a global basis. They close those nasty ol' dimensional rifts that PCs sometimes leave open when an inconvenient TPK comes by, they spread the rumors of monsters and treasures, write up appropriately obscure treasure maps, and make sure that there are some heroes scheduled to avert the monthly apocalypse. They're the ones who make sure the lightning crashes at dramatically significant moments, they build appropriately rickety rope bridges over bottomless chasms, and make sure that there's a Dragon or a great mystery around when you really need one.

Tharkon

First Post
Usually environments don't pass portals.
Most DMs would aggree a gate spell can't be used to create long-lasting overpowering gusts of wind, fiery blazes, tsunamis or blinding rays of positive energy.
Permanent portals could be an exception slowly, but basically it's the DMs choice.

but with fresh water, thereby diluting the salt content.
I wonder what those implications might be?
1. Why would the Elemental Plane of Water be entirely made of fresh water?
2. Even if so, at this small rate, the natural saltening by rivers would outset it, the salt would have to be replenished by the Elemental Plane of Earth, or if it exists, the Elemental Plane of Salt.

Tharkon

First Post
Almost all books describe the material plane as being infinite in size, which supports the deep space theory. Lords of Madness even describes extra-terrestrial beings.

On the topic of freezing and clogging.

Assuming that water can pass trough it then it does not even matter what side the portal is facing, since the water's pressure exceeds that of the near-vacuum of outer space, pulling the water true even with lack of gravity. After this has started the water gains momentum and even when frozen retains this momentum due to the lack of resistance, so the frozen water would not clog the portal.
Depending on how much of the environment can pass trough the water might freeze on the ocean side of the portal though, but whether this ice could withstand the pulling force from the vacuum on the other side I am not sure of.
If every environmental aspect could pass trough the portal then it could drain much faster than by just gravity alone. Eventually the mass around the portal in outerspace would start to form gravity and a piece by piece the entire planet could be transported trough this wormhole.

Also the character could not drop it into the ocean, he would be sucked trough before he gets the chance to do so.

It's hard to apply laws of physics to something that is by it's nature defying those very laws.
The simplest answers to your questions are:
The portal does what the DM wants it to do, and this is as bad as the DM wants it do be.
It's as easy as the DM says it is.
And deep space exists if the DM says it does.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads