D&D 5E Oops, Players Accidentally See Solution to Exploration Challenge

pemerton

Legend
I did understand your bolded line as part of your current argument, but that you had previously (or your argument was) less nuanced.
That bolded line appeared in my first post in this thread. Perhaps you misunderstood or misread that first post - it happens. But my argument hasn't changed, nor become more nuanced.

In @Mistwell's argument, you're choosing a resolution mechanic to arbitrarily decide what action declarations the players make because of the knowledge you have.
Mistwell is positing that the decision procedure is already in use, and hence can just continue to be applied.

I find this statement interesting. I've previously understood you to not like to play heavily GM directed games because you enjoy having a say in the resulting fiction. Yet, here, you claim that you would not be bothered by the GM directing you into an arbitrary decision mechanic just to support the GM's preferred version of the fiction. I find it hard to reconcile these two statements, and I wonder which one I've misinterpreted.
My preference as a hypothetical player would be to resolve the whole "chasing Capt Whiskers" scenario via intent-and-task resolution, as @Tony Vargas (I think?) suggested upthread. Which would make the map issue redundant.

But if I found myself in a game in which the way situations are established is being resolved by tracking tokens on a map and seeing which "scene triggers" they hit then I'm not going to be super-fussed if it turns out that that is determined by application of a standard decision-procedure rather than vaa nuanced player decision-making seeking some optimal set or sequence of situation triggers. This is a reflection of (i) my general lack of interest in and skill at classic Gygaxian "skilled play", and (ii) my general preference for GM control over scene-framing.

By way of contrast, the troll scenario is not about scene-framing at all. It's about action resolution in the context of an established situation.

And also by way of contrast, the intent-and-task resolution of the hunt for the Capt - which as I said would be my own preferred approach, everything else being equal - would convert the overland travel from a series of scene-triggers into action resolution within a particular scene.

And for purposes of full disclosure: if you want to see how I recently ran a map-based scenario, here is a session report of my Traveller game from Sunday. The map itself wan't secret, and the scene-framing was purely GM-driven but (i) having regard to the fiction established by the players' descriptions of what their PCs were doing and (ii) using the system's surprise rules as a constraint on action economy at the opening of a framed scene. I don't think this is how the original author of that scenario, Marc Miller, intended it to be refereed. It worked because, as I explain in my actual play report, I added additional content to the scenario to create an active opposition (ie antagonistic game elements to include in my framing) rather than having it be simply "passive" exploration.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
That bolded line appeared in my first post in this thread. Perhaps you misunderstood or misread that first post - it happens. But my argument hasn't changed, nor become more nuanced.
Indeed. There was a middle point, though, where we began to discuss it, when such language was missing, hence my missing the context.

Mistwell is positing that the decision procedure is already in use, and hence can just continue to be applied.
Actually, @Mistwell's initial post was much fuzzier than this, using a metric of, "You simply ask what direction your character would go based on what they do know." This doesn't posit a standard operating procedure, but rather suggests that you should chose the same method you would have used absent any information at all. That's not possible to do. I suppose you could assume that he meant players should have a defined decision process to use when the DM doesn't provide any information useful in determining how to advance, but that appears to be reading into is statements rather than an accurate paraphrasing of them.

While Mistwell does later describe a SOP as if playing in a form of skilled Gygaxian play, such methods are still vulnerable to information known (hence the 'skilled' part) and choosing to use a naive decision tree while ignoring pertinent information is making a decision with the knowledge. It's unavoidable even in Mistwell's conjecture.

The only way that this method would work is if decisions are routinely made without information so a naive use of the SOP actually replicates the usual mode of play. That, however, assumes that the DM is only presenting informationless decision points, though, which seems to be such an outlier that it's not worth discussing.

My preference as a hypothetical player would be to resolve the whole "chasing Capt Whiskers" scenario via intent-and-task resolution, as @Tony Vargas (I think?) suggested upthread. Which would make the map issue redundant.

But if I found myself in a game in which the way situations are established is being resolved by tracking tokens on a map and seeing which "scene triggers" they hit then I'm not going to be super-fussed if it turns out that that is determined by application of a standard decision-procedure rather than vaa nuanced player decision-making seeking some optimal set or sequence of situation triggers. This is a reflection of (i) my general lack of interest in and skill at classic Gygaxian "skilled play", and (ii) my general preference for GM control over scene-framing.
So, then, this is entirely academic for you and the hill you've chosen is to champion, but not advocate, that you can make a decision as if you don't have information if you use a naive decision-making mechanic like a random die roll. But, only if this is the usual way you make decisions? Okay, fun talk, not sure it did anything useful. It certainly didn't illuminate the topic, just postulated a situation where you usually use a naive decision-making mechanic for most gameplay. Never actually seen a game like that.
By way of contrast, the troll scenario is not about scene-framing at all. It's about action resolution in the context of an established situation.
Action resolution requires iterative framing. You receive feedback on action outcomes that leads back into scene reframing which leads to action resolution et cetera. You're doing a weird divorce of an iterative process to frame how you deal with a troll differently from any other action resolution cycle, like exploring dunes to find a pirate captain. These are the same thing, in different scale loops, functionally speaking.

And also by way of contrast, the intent-and-task resolution of the hunt for the Capt - which as I said would be my own preferred approach, everything else being equal - would convert the overland travel from a series of scene-triggers into action resolution within a particular scene.
Firstly, I'm very aware of your preferences in play from other threads, hence the point of my question above. Secondly, intent-and-task seems like very confusing terminology. I understand intent based resolution as what I would describe as your play -- the mechanics adjudicate the success or failure of the intent of the player's action declaration. I understand task based resolution as well -- the mechanics adjudicate the success or failure of a specific action. The general difference being, "I jump over the chasm (intent)" vs "I jump, how far do I jump? (task)" The former would resolve the intent of the attempt to jump the chasm, the latter the specific action of how well you jump, which would then be checked against notes to see if the chasm was crossed.

I'm left confused about what intent-and-task would be.

I've also seen intent resolution called stakes resolution methods. And I've personally called task resolution atomic action resolution, as you're resolving individual actions independent of intent.

Proclaiming "Knowledge cannot be Un-Know-ed" is reminiscent of a six year olds explanation for why they ate the cake: " I knew the cake was there and I could not stop thinking about it".

Respectfully, for all the ingenuity behind the epistemological arguments re: the underpinnings of Metagaming and the Pronouncement that "The DM is always responsible for Metagaming", these arguments read to my eyes as the aforementioned six year old as blaming their parents for having desert in the house, as the reason for why said six year old ate the desert.

If the reptlian power gamer area of your brain forbids you the player from only considering what information your character has, then politeness and decorum would dictacte you either refrain from the decision or let chance decide.

Respectfully

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Proclaiming "Knowledge cannot be Un-Know-ed" is reminiscent of a six year olds explanation for why they ate the cake: " I knew the cake was there and I could not stop thinking about it".

Respectfully, for all the ingenuity behind the epistemological arguments re: the underpinnings of Metagaming and the Pronouncement that "The DM is always responsible for Metagaming", these arguments read to my eyes as the aforementioned six year old as blaming their parents for having desert in the house, as the reason for why said six year old ate the desert.
That analogy might make sense, if the “metagaming is the DM’s fault” claim was coming from a player who was trying to justify their metagaming. But context is important. The argument came from a DM who doesn’t think metagaming is actually a problem, arguing that if you think it’s a problem, it’s one of your own making. A better analogy might be if one parent was expressing frustration at her child eating dessert, and the other parent saying that he doesn’t think it’s a bad thing that the child ate dessert, but that if she does, maybe she shouldn’t keep it in the house.

If the reptlian power gamer area of your brain forbids you the player from only considering what information your character has, then politeness and decorum would dictacte you either refrain from the decision or let chance decide.

Respectfully
You say that like people can just switch off part of their brain. That’s just not how brains work. Again, you can choose to act differently than information you have and your character doesn’t might suggest is optimal, but that choice is still being influenced by that information. If you didn’t have the information, you wouldn’t be able to make that decision.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think it’s an attempt to rebrand the resolution style we've occasionally referred to as “goal-and-approach.”
Or just, y'know, not remembering the exact term and filling in they idea of "whatchya try'n to do and how are ya try'n to do it?" with synonyms? Goal//Objective/Intent/Purpose/Ends/etc and Approach/Means/Task/Steps/Method/etc.

Or, maybe, it's like GNS, and means something completely at odds with it's English-language definitions, connotations, and/or intuitive interpretation?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I believe intent and task was coined by Burning Wheel author Luke Crane, and most likely predates the similar usage of goal and approach.
And Permerton had brought it, here, prior to 5e & it's play loop inspiring G&A:

Burning Wheel probably gives the clearest statement of this sort of action resolution mechanic, in its "intent and task" rules.
That's 2012, and it was far from the only hit, there was one from 2005, even.

Mystery solv-ed.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

Respectfully
Was there an actual argument in this, or was it just a (not so) clever way to call people that disagree with you children beholden to their lizard brain?

I'm happy if your players are content to take a few lumps from a troll while they fumble for an approved way for their PCs to use fire, but I'm not going to put players through that exercise. I have way too many easier routes to provide an interesting game that doesn't require the pantomiming. Further, a player has no option to avoid a DM's crafted 'Don't Metagame!' scenario, whereas the DM has lots of easy to use tools to just not push such a case on the players.

pemerton

Legend
@Tony Vargas - cool find! Here's a bit more self-indulgent self-quote:

There are a number of options for non-combat resolution systems that prioritise player input and still involve dice rolling. The most generic way of describing those structures is probably this: the GM describes the situation/context, the player then describes what his/her PC is doing or saying (this may be first or third person, depending on individual preferences and table expectations), dice are then rolled, and the GM then narrates the consequences of the PC's action using the result of the roll(s) to establish the parameters of that narration (eg if the check is a failure, the GM's narration has to give some account, in the fiction, of the PC not getting what the player wanted him/her to get).
This is why I've always been puzzled by the agony of more recent thread about (so-called) goal and approach. I've always taken it to be a pretty well-established piece of RPG tech.

Remove ads