D&D 5E OotA: Duergar in Sloobludop

Werebat

Explorer
I apologize in advance for this question, because I am trying to work from memory and don't have the book in front of me, which means I do not have all of the information that I should.

In Sloobludop, if/when the PCs and their NPC entourage are "taken prisoner" and delivered to the priestess of (the big guy in the lake), it is mentioned that a duergar prisoner is with them, and that he was an arms dealer from Gracklstugh. I forget his name. It is mentioned that he may join up with the party if they help him escape, and that he may "return the favor" if they get him to Gracklstugh.

I can't find any mention of this guy in Gracklstugh. Am I missing something? He's an arms dealer, so I thought he might be mentioned in the Blade Bazaar, but he doesn't seem to be. What exactly am I supposed to do with him once the party brings him to Gracklstugh?

darjr

I crit!
I had him claim to be the owner of the boat the players had 'found' on the darklake. Then he sold it to pay 'debts' once in gracklestugh. I also had him play the role of a well known outcast that was tolerated but not respected. So every where they went he had things to say and folks had things to say about him.

Werebat

Explorer
So he ISN'T actually mentioned in Gracklstugh anywhere?

That's cool. I can roll with that. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Hemeth was leading our group to Gracklestugh when he had the unfortunate fate of being the only character to fall in a randomly rolled Sinkhole in an encounter with Escaped Slaves (from Gracklestugh). He didn't make it out of that hole alive.

CapnZapp

Legend
In Sloobludop, if/when the PCs and their NPC entourage are "taken prisoner" and delivered to the priestess of (the big guy in the lake), it is mentioned that a duergar prisoner is with them, and that he was an arms dealer from Gracklstugh. I forget his name. It is mentioned that he may join up with the party if they help him escape, and that he may "return the favor" if they get him to Gracklstugh.

I can't find any mention of this guy in Gracklstugh. Am I missing something? He's an arms dealer, so I thought he might be mentioned in the Blade Bazaar, but he doesn't seem to be. What exactly am I supposed to do with him once the party brings him to Gracklstugh?

So he ISN'T actually mentioned in Gracklstugh anywhere?
It's Hemeth.

And like I said over here...
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?472292-Help-finding-hemeth
...he's mentioned exactly twice in the entire book: once on page 48...

The followers of the Deep Father are already preparing
to sacrifice a bruised and bedraggled duergar named
Hemeth — an arms smuggler who was looking to cut a
deal with one or both factions of the kuo-toa, but instead
found himself captured for his trouble. He's willing to
cooperate with the characters to save his own skin, and
will even return the favor given the opportunity (see
chapter 4, "Gracklstugh").

and once on pages 50-51...

Buppido (see chapter 1) and Hemeth (see chapter 3)
are the only NPCs who actively suggest going to Gracklstugh.

The take away is that the passage "will even return the favor given the opportunity" doesn't lead to an actual text passage. AFAIK it merely means "to return the favor, Hemeth can lead the party into the city, much like Buppido can".

Specifically, I read it as meaning that the help Hemeth offers is:
* don't approach the city from the land side
* when sailing into the docks district, where to land and how to avoid the authorities
* the basic facts about the city; such as "only allowed in the docks district" and "the only inn is called Ghorlbrorn's Lair".

Then he disappears from the story (unless he's drafted into the party of course).

If you want to expand Hemeth's role in the city, feel free to add your suggestions to the thread I started on him:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?473745-Out-of-the-Abyss-Hemeth-the-Duergar :)

Coredump

Explorer
For us, he got split from the party during the confusion.... but the party is now in Gracklstugh, and he will show up shortly after. I might have him repay them by exposing the secret entrance to the caverns....

Remove ads