• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOTS 354 is up... and I feel old now...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Stormtower said:
Back in the day (like '81) my dad used to take me to the arcade and we'd play for hours. Centipede, Defender, Galaxians (different game from Galaga), oh yeah.

Heh. Back in the day (like '81), my father used to work for Taito.

Imagine a warehouse floor full of arcade games, all powered up for testing, with no coin plates on the front.

I had lots of fun as a kid :D

-Hyp.

Mycanid

First Post
Stormtower said:
Ahh, the trackball... wasn't Centipede one of the first (if not THE first) arcade game to utilize the analog trackball for control?

Back in the day (like '81) my dad used to take me to the arcade and we'd play for hours. Centipede, Defender, Galaxians (different game from Galaga), oh yeah.

Now I'm jonesing for a good 5-hour marathon of Gauntlet... mmmm, Gauntlet.

"Valkyrie is about to die."

Gauntlet?!?! :confused: Whoa. Major "hit by a flour bag from around the corner" experience at remembering that one.... "Elf has been eating all the food lately." and "You shot the potion!" :lol:

For some strange reason I thought Track and Field was earlier than Centipede in using the trackball controller? Maybe not ... probably have my years/memories all mixed up.

SnowRaven

First Post
Stormtower said:
Now I'm jonesing for a good 5-hour marathon of Gauntlet... mmmm, Gauntlet.

"Valkyrie is about to die."

Elf needs food... badly...

I've got it on the GBA, but have been thinking of getting the XBox Live Arcade version just for co-op.. :)

SnowRaven

First Post
Quasqueton said:
And notice that the foundation for this joke was laid out 4 comics back (#350) -- any other look for the fiendish centipedes would not have worked for the #354 gag. For those folks who think Rich comes up with gags/explanations on the fly to cover his "rules gaffs", I offer this comic as evidence that he plans ahead of time for such things.

Quasqueton
It's not really proof, you can't tell if it's plan or inspiration. Of course, the best way for a topic to go away is simply not to bring it up constantly to refute it. :)

Quasqueton

First Post
SnowRaven said:
Of course, the best way for a topic to go away is simply not to bring it up constantly to refute it.
I'm not quite sure how to take this statement. It reads like you are telling me to let the issue drop, but I've ever commented on the subject, one way or another. So I don't see why you say I shouldn't "bring it up constantly". I've never brought it up before. "Detractors" brought the topic up just last comic (2 days ago). This is the first comic since those complaints, and it has evidence (I never said "proof") to contridict the detractors.

Of course, the best way to not look like a fool is to know what you're talking about before giving someone else advice. :)

Quasqueton

Jarrod

First Post
MAME, people, MAME. Seriously. Nostalgia on your computer.

Now, on topic - serious roll. It's great. Though I notice that the Linear Guild wizard just isn't as powerful as the rest of the gang - Summon I and II? C'mon!

SnowRaven

First Post
Quasqueton said:
I'm not quite sure how to take this statement. It reads like you are telling me to let the issue drop, but I've ever commented on the subject, one way or another. So I don't see why you say I shouldn't "bring it up constantly". I've never brought it up before. "Detractors" brought the topic up just last comic (2 days ago). This is the first comic since those complaints, and it has evidence (I never said "proof") to contridict the detractors.

Of course, the best way to not look like a fool is to know what you're talking about before giving someone else advice. :)

Quasqueton
I didn't single you out, just replied to your post as it was the one raising the issue again, to refute it. There's no way to prove one way or the other, so raising the issue simply to point out that the other side is wrong, merely brings the issue back into a new thread, one which had nothing to do with the topic. Last comic, it was brought up by someone that is a fan of the comic, not a detractor.

So, really, if it's not an issue, then why raise it?

Quasqueton

First Post
SnowRaven said:
So, really, if it's not an issue, then why raise it?
I didn't say it wasn't an issue. Why are you pressing back so hard? Why do you care if I (or anyone) brings it up and offers evidence for one thought or another on the subject? What's so bugging you about it?

Quasqueton

SnowRaven

First Post
Quasqueton said:
I didn't say it wasn't an issue. Why are you pressing back so hard? Why do you care if I (or anyone) brings it up and offers evidence for one thought or another on the subject? What's so bugging you about it?

Quasqueton
Because I don't see how bringing it up contributes, so I commented. Bringing "proof" to a discussion where the only issue is raised by that proof just seems like smugness.

In addition, I've commented on the merits of the discussion, but you seem to think this is personal, or that I am pushing. No attack was intended, so I'm not sure why you want to make it a personal issue with comments about me "pressing so hard" or infering I look like a fool for being uninformed?

Remove ads