• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 503!

I don't know, it makes more sense than a succubus. Or maybe this is the introduction of another "linear guild" type organization, we haven't seen the "unknown speaker" yet, maybe he's another Roy knock off? Or perhaps this leader is more patterned after V and Kubota is Roy's alter (soon dead too) ego. (Since Nale is obviously Elan's twin and Thog is Roy's counterpart.)
No proof, just conjecture.

Other than that, one could argue that Rich is just making a really slick play on words since the Ninja is currently 'stalking' her prey and that language fits, especially since "this OotS dies first", according to the unknown speaker in the above ref'd strip.

Celebrim

Legend
Seriously folks, as Elan would no doubt inform you, it is a requirement of the dramatic structure that two lovers not maintain there happy status until after the story is over ('they lived...' well, you know). Something must always happen to cause thier relationship to fall apart for a period. The classic thing to do would be to form a 'love triangle' in which the hero is forced to choose between the love of the attractive 'good girl' and the attractive 'bad girl' both of whom he may have feelings for. The ninja is obviously Haley's dark haired counterpart, who will provide the illegitimate love interest and do things like betray everything out of love for Elan, kiss Elan just as Haley is about to be reunited with him causing her to think that he's been unfaithful to him, and sacrifice herself at a critical moment so that Elan and Haley can be happy together.

In short, the ninja is a 'bond girl'.

SPoD

First Post
Celebrim said:
Seriously folks, as Elan would no doubt inform you, it is a requirement of the dramatic structure that two lovers not maintain there happy status until after the story is over ('they lived...' well, you know). Something must always happen to cause thier relationship to fall apart for a period. The classic thing to do would be to form a 'love triangle' in which the hero is forced to choose between the love of the attractive 'good girl' and the attractive 'bad girl' both of whom he may have feelings for. The ninja is obviously Haley's dark haired counterpart, who will provide the illegitimate love interest and do things like betray everything out of love for Elan, kiss Elan just as Haley is about to be reunited with him causing her to think that he's been unfaithful to him, and sacrifice herself at a critical moment so that Elan and Haley can be happy together.

She could just be the comic relief for Team Kubota, since the noble himself seems pretty humorless. We don't know that her crush on Elan will be treated even remotely seriously, it could all be for laughs.

Celebrim said:

Oh, God, I hope not.

While what you say may indeed be a "dramatic trope," it's one that I absolutely and unutterably loathe with the bloody fury of a thousand overacting Spartans. I don't mind (necessarily) when the story keeps two people from getting together, but once they've managed it, I'd like to see at least some of them stay that way.

And yes, that means I'd like to see Elan and Haley get back together and stay together, thanks.

Asmor

First Post
Speculation on the identity of the ninja-girl, made in conjunction with Mouseferatu over in this thread. Warning, MAJOR spoilers for the Order of the Stick: Start of Darkness book! Strongly suggest you not read this unless you've read that book already...

[sblock=MAJOR SPOILERS]
So Right-Eye has a daughter that was raised by humans... Given the goblins' fast maturation process, she may be just the right age to be adventuring.

The biggest problem I see with this theory is that Right-Eye and Redcloak's tribe was destroyed by Azurite paladins way back when, so it seems odd that Right-Eye would entrust his daughter to an Azurite family... Given that she's a ninja, it seems likely that she did grow up in Azurite lands, though.[/sblock]

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
So the red voice on black text: is that one of the three demon lord guys that Sabine works for? They came in yellow, orange, and red flavours, didn't they?

Buck Godot

First Post
Asmor said:
Speculation on the identity of the ninja-girl, made in conjunction with Mouseferatu over in this thread. Warning, MAJOR spoilers for the Order of the Stick: Start of Darkness book! Strongly suggest you not read this unless you've read that book already...

[sblock=MAJOR SPOILERS]
So Right-Eye has a daughter that was raised by humans... Given the goblins' fast maturation process, she may be just the right age to be adventuring.

The biggest problem I see with this theory is that Right-Eye and Redcloak's tribe was destroyed by Azurite paladins way back when, so it seems odd that Right-Eye would entrust his daughter to an Azurite family... Given that she's a ninja, it seems likely that she did grow up in Azurite lands, though.[/sblock]
You all are forcing me to stop lurking. Stop that! :D

Anyway,
[sblock=MAJOR SPOILERS]The Ninja Girl seen in today's strip and a strip from a few months back is probably not Redcloak's niece.

Therkla's skin tone and hair color do not match Redcloak's niece. Furthermore, all goblins we have seen have yellow eyes, while Therkla's are solid black.

However, Therkla's skin tone and eye color do match for a half orc (or orc) as seen in Thog and various other characters throught the various books and the card game.

As for the lack of over-sized cuspids, she probably had them filed down at some point. ;)
[/sblock]

So I really doubt there is a Chekov's Gun here. Unless said person is shapechanged/polymorphed/illusioned/what-have-you. ;)

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
AnonymousOne said:
A twin Asian sister??? hmmmm
A twin goblin Asian sister? You don't see much of her skin, but look again anyway.
Balgus said:
I was thinking Sabine... she can shapeshift..
I was thinking Therkla. She can be a new character, you know. There's room for more female characters in OotS-world than just Haley and Sabine. Last time I checked, Sabine was fleeing with Nale and Thog, and wasn't the leader of a ninja clan under the command of Lord Kubota the Tractor/Traitor.
blargney the second said:
So the red voice on black text: is that one of the three demon lord guys that Sabine works for? They came in yellow, orange, and red flavours, didn't they?
Heaven forbid that Rich would use new characters from time to time. Anyone else think that Kubota is really Leaky Windstaff in disguise?

Remove ads