• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 547!

Andor

First Post
drothgery said:
With Rich's tendency to unique mounts, it's quite possible he could call something that could, say, untie O'Chul. Or there's always "Draco, I choose you!"....

Would that work? Grating that a blond kid would be able to untie him, Malfoy is pretty evil. Plus the implications of Draco being O-Chuls 'mount' are disturbing to me. :confused:

moritheil

First Post
wingsandsword said:
The Sapphire Guard in OOTS can be treated as practically an instruction manual on how to play Paladins. O'Chul and Hinjo are good solid examples of how to do it right, while Miko is a textbook case of how to do it wrong.

Celebrim said:
I wouldn't say 'Miko's player' did it wrong. It's a convincing and plausible portrayal, played at times with surprising sympathy and pathos.

The problem with it primarily is that it is an anti-social character and hense ill-suited for a player role in a multiplayer game.

I also don't think anything is "wrong" with the execution of Miko, assuming that she is supposed to be self-righteous and ill-suited to deal with shades of grey in the world. She's not a success as a paladin, but she's arguably a success as a character in that she tells an interesting story.

There's a difference between saying the character fails at being a paladin and saying the player fails at portraying the character trying to be a paladin.

coyote6

Adventurer
Ah, Redcloak provides demonstration of his lack of ranks in Knowledge (Nature) ('cause that's the skill that would cover knowledge of humans). Maybe Sense Motive, too, depending on how a campaign uses that skill.

That was great.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
and speaking of boats, I was rereading the "Start of Darkness" book and the history of one of the mysterious boat people just got a lot clearer.

I just wanted to share, and perhaps do a happy dance.

Buck Godot

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
and speaking of boats, I was rereading the "Start of Darkness" book and the history of one of the mysterious boat people just got a lot clearer.

I just wanted to share, and perhaps do a happy dance.

If you're referring to what I think you are, I'm sorry to tell you that you're 99.9999999% likely wrong. The boat character's time-line does not match up the character in SoD. Never mind the fact that the character has the wrong shade color, and is the wrong species. :)

But don't worry, you're not alone in that thinking. That theory was very popular the second this character first appeared in the strip. ;)

Vorput

First Post
Andor said:
Would that work? Grating that a blond kid would be able to untie him, Malfoy is pretty evil. Plus the implications of Draco being O-Chuls 'mount' are disturbing to me. :confused:

::chuckles::

SmilingPiePlate

First Post
Can I add something from a few strips back?

Any paladin that can get dropped naked into a vat of acid, drags one of the hobgoblin guards with him, get speared on the spikes at the bottom of the vat, get gnawed on a bit by an acid breathing shark, break out, uses the shark to propel him out of the vat, and then spends the last of his energy rushing the Lich holding him prisoner with a Smite Evil racked on his bare knuckles, is my kind of paladin. :D

Doug Sundseth

First Post
coyote6 said:
Ah, Redcloak provides demonstration of his lack of ranks in Knowledge (Nature) ('cause that's the skill that would cover knowledge of humans). Maybe Sense Motive, too, depending on how a campaign uses that skill.

Nope. That would be Knowledge (Local). And Redcloak ain't from around here.

(Of course, the whole Knowledge (Local) definition seems like it might be fertile ground for comedy in itself, but I don't recall Rich ever mining that vein.)

Remove ads