OotS #570 Is Up, Including Critical Interpretations of Burlew's Style & OotS Content

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Heh. One day, Belkar is going to learn that he had been free of the Mark of Justice for a very long time, and that he could have gone off on his own all this time.

And I'm really looking forward to it.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Fenes said:
Would Roy remember the scene?

Is Roy ever going to get the chance to remember it? There have a been a lot of funny strips lately but he really needs to pick up the pace and finish these side quests.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Jedi_Solo said:
There have a been a lot of funny strips lately but he really needs to pick up the pace and finish these side quests.

Why?

Personally, I like the meandering style, it reminds me a D&D campaign - or at least the way they usually go when I play/run (without the pardodic elements of course).

SPoD

First Post
I agree. As long as the strips are funny and entertaining, I say, let the story go where Rich wants it to. I guarantee it will end up a better story at the end if he writes what he has in mind instead of rushing it to please some fans.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
el-remmen said:
Why?

Personally, I like the meandering style, it reminds me a D&D campaign - or at least the way they usually go when I play/run (without the pardodic elements of course).

Maybe it's just burn out from stuff like The Wheel of Time and waiting for the next book in The Song of Ice and Fire.

If he is saying that is going to be telling a story then TELL THE STORY ALREADY!!!! *pant* *ppant* *pant*

I feel a lot better now.

Anyway...

I'm not looking for an answer to these questions but I will ask them as food for thought:

How long has the group been fragmented? How long has Roy been dead? How long have they been trying to correct these situations and what exactly has been advanced in the plot since they have been trying to correct them?

Don't get me wrong... I don't mind the "Elan's been kidnapped by bandits" sidetreck or the "Let's stop at the inn for the night" storylines. I do mind the "We have to do X but we need to work our way through A, B, C and D each of which take a while in and of themselves and yet we have no plot advancement in the direction of X."

(Yes, The show Lost annoyed me heavily during seasons 2 and 3 - why do you ask?)

If the strip claims that the party is trying to get back together (which it does to me in that V is trying to find the other half) and that Haley is trying to get Roy raised (which it does to me in that Haley is saying she is trying to bring Roy back) then I want some advancement in that direction - not multiple failures in a row with each failure taking a month (or more) to get through.

It reminds me of one the later seasons of Farscape and later season of Buffy. I stopped watching both shows for a while because nothing ever tured out well for the main characters. Every episode (I don't think I'm exaggerating) ended on a downer. I want my heroes to be happy and have a reason to keep going. There needs to be a glimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel. If everything the heores do has no effect (or worse - a negative effect) that glimmer of hope disappears for me. Having it be gone for an episode or two is fine - but it can't be gone for weeks or months on end.

The heros need to achieve something they want (and Belkar getting a kill doesn't count).

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Jedi_Solo said:
It reminds me of one the later seasons of Farscape and later season of Buffy. I stopped watching both shows for a while because nothing ever tured out well for the main characters. Every episode (I don't think I'm exaggerating) ended on a downer. I want my heroes to be happy and have a reason to keep going. There needs to be a glimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel. If everything the heores do has no effect (or worse - a negative effect) that glimmer of hope disappears for me. Having it be gone for an episode or two is fine - but it can't be gone for weeks or months on end.

Oof! You'd HATE my campaigns. ;)

Remove ads