OotS #570 Is Up, Including Critical Interpretations of Burlew's Style & OotS Content

SPoD

First Post
I think the lack of hope for Vaarsuvius is very much The Point of his/her portion of the story right now. His/her repeated failures are likely to drive him/her insane in some way, with likely spectacular consequences. You can't tell the story of someone going mad with frustration if they have a glimmer of hope every time.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
el-remmen said:
Oof! You'd HATE my campaigns. ;)

Constant 100% tragedy with no victories at all for years on end? I likely would. I highly doubt that is the case though. Farscape had seasons of depression. That is what lost me. Battlestar Galactica (the remake) has victories from time to time - far less than 50% (maybe 10%?) but they are there and that is fine.

The campaign that I loved that went on for three years had massive tragedies broken up by victories. My PC lost loved ones and friends and then reclaimed a powerful weapon. He had more tragedies piled on and then managed a victory.

I don't mind piling on the difficulties, tragedies and reasons for angst, I ask for them; but I need the light at the end of the tunnel - the tunnel can keep getting longer but the light needs to be there.

I've lost sight of the light for the Order of the Stick. They need to be able to see it agin and fast.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
SPoD said:
I think the lack of hope for Vaarsuvius is very much The Point of his/her portion of the story right now. His/her repeated failures are likely to drive him/her insane in some way, with likely spectacular consequences. You can't tell the story of someone going mad with frustration if they have a glimmer of hope every time.

Then I think V should go over already. There has been more than enough real life time having passed to give the impression that V has been at it for quite a while.

What I want is something to happen to advance these plots.

SPoD

First Post
Jedi_Solo said:
What I want is something to happen to advance these plots.

Well, what I want is for Rich to write whatever story he feels like writing, since I am enjoying it and so far it has always turned out being better in the end than whatever I thought might happen...and if he has to jettison you as a reader in order to do so, then I'm cool with that.

I trust the author to make it come together, because he always has before. Haley's speech impediment was terribly drawn out...but the endpoint of it is one of my favorite moments in the strip. Miko was a pain in the ass for years, but her fall and death were amazing. I fully expect that the current difficulties will result in something equally fantastic, so they don't bother me, especially since each individual strip is still funny.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
RabidBob said:
I agree; I like that there are long story lines, it's refreshing in this age of 42 minute gratification.

If you knew some of my friends they would say I am not one for 42 minute gratification.

I enjoy 24 and Lost (at least this most recent season). I love the movies Alien and Aliens and the creatures don't even show up untl the movie is more than 1/2 over.

I'm not asking for Voyager to get back to the Alpha Quadrent in season 1. I'm not asking for Fox Mulder to get tangable proof of alien life and I'm not asking for the Losties to finally get off of the island (for good).

(I'm getting errors on the posting form - otherwise I'd link)

Roy died in #443. It's hard to decare when the group got seporated but I'd say #483 is as good as any when both groups are looking out over the city.

I'm not asking for the Order of the Stick to defeat the lich net week - but if Roy could finally talk to another member of the group I'd be happy. He's been dead for well over 100 comics.

I'm not asking for the snarl to be destroyed immediately but I'd like for Haley to finally find a cleric that is willing to help. Haley having to do a favor for the cleric? Fine. At least they have found one. It's been almost 100 comics since they've been split up.

I'm not asking for Red Cloak to take over the world tomorrow but I'd like for something to happen to advance V, Durkan and Elan's plot line. I know they had the entire Orc campsite adventure, but I still feel like their plot line is stagnent.

I would have been fine with the entire orc thing if that had been the only real delay in all of this but it feels (to me) like the entire thing is spinning its wheels and that it has been for almost 100 issues.

I've gone through The Wheel of Time. I don't need another series to get bogged down and not advance the story for who knows how long.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Hmm. I find myself completely happy with the plot rate to be honest. I love resolutions as much as the next man, but the quality of these strips leaves me hungering for more at every turn.

Remove ads