• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oots 660

Miyaa

First Post
I'm voting for Obligatory Sewer-Themed Labyrinth. Also, doesn't a lich have to be within a certain radius to his phylactery in order for him to regenerate?

catsclaw227

First Post
Stalker0 said:
I'm a big OOTS fan but I was disappointed on this one. We've had a lot of buildup for some time now, and we were due for a major happening. This just felt like a letdown to me.
Yea, me too. Here's to hoping they get to go back to some of their Dungeon Crawlin' Fools days.

Dausuul

Legend
That was... unexpected. Not bad, and I won't go so far as to call this strip "filler," but seriously, this arc is past due to wrap up. I want to see Roy get resurrected and the OotS reunited, damn it.

Whee, Mary Sue wins again!

[rant]

I'm getting fairly sick of seeing this. Xykon is anything but a Mary Sue. Mary Sue would never be ignominiously defeated by a lowly fighter with a broken sword... or forced to endure a comically humiliating stretch of time as a partial skeleton in a little red wagon... or need to be saved by a hobgoblin rolling a lucky crit... or blunder recklessly into a trap and escape only through the intervention of a crazy ex-paladin... or need a lackey to provide tactical advice at a critical moment... or get blindsided by a half-naked paladin armed with a broken piece of metal... or get blown up by a measly 4th-level spell.

You seem to think that lucky breaks (of which he certainly gets more than his fair share) make Xykon a Mary Sue. But Mary Sue never survives by sheer luck. Mary Sue survives by being always perfect, always right, and always the best.

Complain about Diabolus Ex Machina if you like; Xykon's repeated lucky escapes are definitely edging into that territory. But Xykon is not and has never been a Mary Sue.

[/rant]

Last edited:

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
I love this strip, not for the strip itself, but because of how people are seeing it.

Brian Clevinger once said that his favorite types of jokes in his webcomic are jokes played on the reader. This feels like a similar type of joke.

LordVyreth

First Post
Of course, there is a more morbid reason for people to hope that the strip reaches a logical conclusion at some set point in the relatively near future, and the comparisons to Wheel of Time are even more valid. Let's face it, an artist known for periodic bouts of (as far as I know) unknown medical problems is enough to make anyone nervous. Even ignoring that, though, there is a concern for the series to drag on past its natural length, much as what happened with the above-mentioned "Wheel," or something like the "X-Files." Notice how much critical and fan interest in "Lost" picked up when it had a clear-cut ending set up, as well.

Urbannen

First Post
No, the raven can't save - according to the spell description, anything that close to the runes when they go off doesn't get a save. Since it has Improved Evasion and was not helpless, it only took half damage. It if it had made its saving throw, it wouldn't have taken any damage at all.

The strip has been breath-takingly dramatic for several issues now, so this conclusion to the current drama is like a joke on the reader, as someone has pointed out. IF Xykon is destroyed, he will simply be reformed in some unknown parts. Since he doesn't breathe, under the sea is as good as place as any.

I guess now there is an inevitable showdown between Xykon and the MitD over the fate of O-Chul, or something like that. As I've said before, I think that V should have broken free from the Mass Charm Person spell before Xykon returns... He still has some lower-level spells left.

I do get angry when a book goes on for pages and pages without advancing the story, like a soap opera.

A good story told on 200 pages is not better if told on 1200 pages.
Absolutely. On the other hand, most epic stories of 1200 pages or so are actually the weaving together of 6 or so 200 page stories. Or, in many cases, one 400 page story and eight 100 page stories.

If the weaving is done well, only some of those stories need to be all that good for the 1200 pages to come off very well.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I like that when the phylactery hits the statue of Redcloak (wearing a statue version of the phylactery), it hits it in the eye that O'Chuul put out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads