• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Open grave Excerpt: Demilich (and other lich lore)

Hellzon

First Post
Excerpt!

Floating skull that shoots rays and eats souls. Nice. Supposedly the mentioned but unseen sidebar will tell us that you need to release the soul from the soul gem before Raising Dead on the character.

Also, the (entire?) lich lore entry. Demiliches can be a hand? That's some nasty old-school trickery right there. (Demiliches masquerading as Crawling Claws.)

Rechan

Adventurer
The Void Lich lept out at me. First ofall, an antediluvian? Is that a monster, or an esoteric word?

Then there was this sentence:
this aberrant entity shunts the ritual performer’s soul off to the Far Realm and possesses the host body as its own.
This immediately made me wonder "What happens to the soul when it's in the Far Realms?"

Which immediately resulted in this thought: Far Realms Ghost.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well, historically antediluvian is Biblical, I think it is the time-period prior to the Great Flood. But it also just means really, really old.

Though... I bet lots of us RPGers now think Vampire: The Masquerade when we hear it :p

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Well, historically antediluvian is Biblical, I think it is the time-period prior to the Great Flood. But it also just means really, really old.

Though... I bet lots of us RPGers now think Vampire: The Masquerade when we hear it :p

Yup, ante= before and diluvian = flood (related to the word deluge). It refers to the time before the great flood (Noah's Arc story) but can also simply mean "extremely ancient."

Jack99

Adventurer
Well, it could become lethal. Thinks it needs an II or IR more though, since the soul trapping won't happen "that" often I gather.

GuJiaXian

Explorer
Am I the only person (mildly) irked that demiliches are only a level 20 solo? I always think of demiliches as the ultimate expression of undeath. Heck, take a look at the 3.x demilich template in the ELH--that is one nasty set of bonuses!

Nebulous

Legend
I seem to recall in past editions that demiliches had a very small set of vulnerbilities, certain spells needed to bypass their defenses, like Shatter.

Remove ads