Open the binding!

Zero Cochrane

Explorer
I want to be able to open the binding and replace pages in the new rulebooks.

Considering all the updates the last two editions had, I would like to be able to download an updated page, print it, and physically replace the relevant page.

Done on quality paper with a good printer, we need not sacrifice the appearance of the rulebooks.

There must be a good binding technique (Not 3-ring binders -- the pages can tear out too easily), that would allow this.

I'm tired of my books being filled with post-it notes and hand-printed changes to the text.

xigbar

Explorer
I want to be able to open the binding and replace pages in the new rulebooks.

Considering all the updates the last two editions had, I would like to be able to download an updated page, print it, and physically replace the relevant page.

Done on quality paper with a good printer, we need not sacrifice the appearance of the rulebooks.

There must be a good binding technique (Not 3-ring binders -- the pages can tear out too easily), that would allow this.

I'm tired of my books being filled with post-it notes and hand-printed changes to the text.

"We're gonna leave this big empty spot right here in the book, because we realized we messed up, but release this anyway for profit, and make you print out the workable version."

Infiniti2000

First Post
What happens when the updated page cannot fit on a page? If it's too small, I guess they can just leave a lot of white space. Ugly, but workable. When it's too big, then, what? You get page #76A? Or, you get what [MENTION=6673175]xigbar[/MENTION] talks about.

It's either as it is now or totally digital. Then, you can reprint to your heart's content. :)

Tovec

Explorer
I'm really really not interested in a digital format. I have found that having pdfs of the books is great, if I'm making a character. But if I'm playing one then it is a big clumsy surface between me and the game.

To that end, I don't mind if they have a digital version or digital tools available in the future but I don't want the book to be supplied solely online. I don't buy online books, for the most part, and I'm not going to start with 5e. I'll get a core rulebook/PHB/core boxset or whatever and then see what tools are available online but I refuse to fall back into the ease of using a laptop at games.

OH! As far as the actual topic. Just print a good ruleset in the first place. Do alphas, betas, gammas if you need to but playtest the crap out of it. When you are done then release it, once. If in 5 years you need to release a new one with errata then fine but don't go into it assuming errata will be needed.

dkyle

First Post
If in 5 years you need to release a new one with errata then fine but don't go into it assuming errata will be needed.

I'd be very disappointed if they don't assume errata will be needed. That either means that they're deluded into thinking they won't make mistakes, or that the game is too fundamentally imbalanced for mistakes to matter.

Now, I don't think the OP's proposal is practical. Best I could see is releasing a version of the rules meant for three-ring binders, but a hardcover book capable of having pages added to its binding doesn't sound feasible.

Tovec

Explorer
I'd be very disappointed if they don't assume errata will be needed. That either means that they're deluded into thinking they won't make mistakes, or that the game is too fundamentally imbalanced for mistakes to matter.

Now, I don't think the OP's proposal is practical. Best I could see is releasing a version of the rules meant for three-ring binders, but a hardcover book capable of having pages added to its binding doesn't sound feasible.

I'm not saying don't assume the game won't need errata, I'm saying don't rely upon errata for fixing your system before it is even released. I can give an example of this.

4e by wotc has errata, so does pathfinder by paizo. Both have errata. One playtested and has significantly less errata needed. One has a mindset that they can use their DnDI to fix errata.
To equate this to the example above; either they should test the system to get the best damned product they can BEFORE release. OR they can keep extra pages blank, or have open-binders, or include handy DnD sticky notes for when errata is needed. I would rather have the superior product with 0 errata added on (even if it is needed), then a faster product with more errata needed (even if the extra errata makes it a better system overall.)

PDF == digital :D

Personally I'd rather have an iPad app, I find having laptops during play annoying but iPads are fine.

Warder

I don't know the point you are trying to make Warder, mine is that I don't want to have to rely on anything electronic be it online sources, pdfs, app based programs, e-character sheets or whatever. It does not improve my game. It has the opposite effect. I haven't had any experience with iPads or tablets at my games so far but I have had to ban laptops even though we used them for years without any real incident. It adds a barrier between players, and when the game is about interaction having everyone's nose behind a screen is the exact wrong thing I want to see at a gaming table.

Now, I'm not opposed to having these resources OUT of game. I'm sure there are CharOps boards that can help, or certainly coming here and talking about DnD/looking for suggestions, but these are things that detract IN game. For this simple reason I want my rule book to be a BOOK not a file on a server. This includes the SRD.

Remove ads