Opinions on a PC idea

Quickbeam

Explorer
Xarlen said:
Bravo on the character. :) Focusing on a weakness and overcoming that is nice. Kobold barbarians are always neat, too.

I say go for the Luck domain. Rerolling something is Very crucial. But if you want to go for sheer combat prowess, I guess War is best.

And, I personally like going from Cleric to Barbarian better. The focus of your faith allowing you to find your more wild side, and finding a way to tap into it.

As noted before. A single level as a barbarian shouldn't hurt your spellcasting Too badly (especially if there's another cleric in the party).

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the compliment!

As I noted in my reply to Zog (while you were posting), I just don't see War being an option for this character. I could approach my DM to make an exception to the available domains, but I'm pretty settled on Kord as a deity with our campaign being based in Greyhawk. As I also commented to Zog, I think the barbarian to cleric path is more reasonable, but who's looking for reasonable :D? I'm fine with a cleric of Kord finding inner strength through fury and rage when pushed to his limits -- especially given his rural, nomadic upbringing and fiesty demeanor.

Big question though: wouldn't the character suffer XP penalties if he only took one or two levels of barbarian?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I would also look at the Mighty Contender of Kord prestige class, and keep that in sight as a goal, no matter what you do.

(And yes, literacy is free if you pick up a multi-class that is literate.)

Wulf

Quickbeam

Explorer
jollyninja:
Another vote for the multiclass PC who begins life as a barbarian. I really like your rationale too -- nothing like a little guy always trying to intimidate people :D.

Valicor:
Wow! That's a pretty unique twist on my original concept. Consider your suggestion currently under advisement, with my primary reservation being that I believe our party will already have a druid. Thanks for the clever idea though.

Quickbeam

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
I would also look at the Mighty Contender of Kord prestige class, and keep that in sight as a goal, no matter what you do.

(And yes, literacy is free if you pick up a multi-class that is literate.)

Wulf

Wulf:
Thanks for the suggestion, but what is the Mighty Contender of Kord PrC?

BTW, I've followed the Iron DM competition, and thought your efforts were very creative and interesting. Good show!!

Valicor

First Post
I just remmbered away you can solve that multiclass problem if you have a feat to spare. In the net book of feats & I also think in fantasy flight's book Trap's & treachery there is a feat that allows a you to choose another favored multiclass. Kinda a high price, but if you love the character style over combat statistics go for it.

S

shurai

What a cool character concept!

And ignore them when they say you're not min/maxing, because halfing cleric of Kord sounds pretty effective to me, not to mention really funny.

One thing to keep in mind: Halflings are Favored Class: Rogue, which means your barbarian levels will need to be pretty close to the cleric levels to avoid the xp penalty. On the other hand, maybe you don't mind that. :]

In any case, I had a similar idea for a halfling barbarian not too long ago. Having a halfling dealing d10+6 damage with a two-handed (for him) bastard sword is pretty cool in my mind. Plus, all those bennies for being a halfling, like the dex bonus, the AC bonus, etc.

-S

Quickbeam

Explorer
Valicor:
Thanks for the feat suggestion. I wasn't aware of it, and it is something I will most certainly consider. The price is hefty, but it may be worthwhile to pull off this concept without XP penalties.

shurai:
Thanks a ton for the kind words!! I'm not concerned with making the most powerful PC possible, just something effective and interesting to play. I'd say this character fits that bill nicely, now I just need to figure out whether or not I'm gonna multiclass the little devil :).

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Quickbeam said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but what is the Mighty Contender of Kord PrC?

The Mighty Contender of Kord is from Dragon Magazine 283.

It focuses mainly on the Strength domain. You eventually get an increased bonus and duration from the domain ability, as well as the ability to use it multiple times per day. You also get a few other nifty abilities like a total +2 increase to strength (+1 at both 5th and 9th level) as well as DR 5/- with regards to subdual damage. You get 1/2 spell progression, and a Cleric's BAB and saves.

The prerequisites are...
Alignment: Chaotic Good.
Patron Deity: Kord.
Base Fortitude Save: +6.
Knowledge (religion): 9 ranks.
Feats: Endurance & Power Attack.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast divine spells

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
Quickbeam, it's really good to see that you're fast to respond to posts, and actually Responding to them. :)

Very positive, man.

Remove ads