Opinions on a PC idea

Quickbeam

Explorer
I'm just soliciting your feedback and opinions on the effectiveness of a PC concept currently under consideration. Accroding to the DM, there is a strong chance that our group will need backup characters on hand in the coming sessions :eek:. Here are the PC elements I've settled on:
** Halfling cleric of Kord
** Luck & Strength domains
** Fiesty little scrapper with a chip on his shoulder

I've been pondering the idea of multiclassing this character with some barbarian levels also, but that is not definite. I see him as hailing from a fringe band of nomadic halflings, and his fiesty attitude combined with devotion to Kord seemed like a nice fit with a combat raging maniac.

Here are my questions:
1) Would you multiclass this PC, or is the combination a bit too silly and outlandish? Is slowing down the spell progression too steep a price to pay for the amusing barbarian abilities and traits?
2) If multiclassing isn't foolish, would you start out as a barbarian who finds his calling as a devoted priest of Kord -OR- would the cleric at some point discover an inner beast during combat and time spent on the fringes of society?

I know that a halfling devotee of Kord isn't the most optimal choice (considering the -2 STR penalty), but that's my idea and I'm sticking to it :)!

Last edited:

reapersaurus

First Post
Quickbeam said:
I'm just soliciting your feedback and opinions on the effectiveness of a PC concept currently under consideration.
Very non-maxed is my opinion.

If you want effectiveness in a combat monster where STRENGTH is the most important factor, it's silly to go with a race that gets a STR penalty.

That is, of course, unless you have any *gasp* role-playing considerations. LOL

Palantir

First Post
Quickbeam,

I like the idea of a halfling cleric of Kord. The ironies are amusing to consider.

Regarding multi-classing, find out if you are the only cleric in the party. If you are, then I would go straight for spell progression. Though limited as a healer, if you are the only one capable of doling out Cure Lights, you need as many of those as possible. And don't forget the very handy Turn Undead ability! You can play your character as barbaric without the mechanics of a Barbarian. Of course, if you are doing double-duty with another cleric, then by all means, go nuts!

I would also go cleric first, barbarian next, rather than the reciprocal. But that's just my opinion. YMMV.

Have fun!
Mark :)

Zog

First Post
I like it :)

Interesting character - sounds like fun to play.

I would take the barbarian level first - more skill points, more hit points. Also, it simply makes more sense for a barbarian to find religion than for a religous guy to become barbaric.

Don't forget to buy literacy!

For domains, see if you can get War, instead Luck. Weapon Prof and Focus: Battle-Axe.

Wielding two-handed, 1.5 strength bonus. gives you that +4 to damage.

As a level 3 character, 2 cleric, 1 barb, you will have an attack of +7 (+3 str, +2 Bab, +1 size, +1 focus) - a level 3 fighter will probably have a +8 (=4 str, +3 bab, +1 focus). Not too bad.

Dex bonus and size makes up for lack of a shield. If you wear medium armor, you move at 30.

An interesting character, fairly buff in a fighter (esp. with rage and feat of strength) with cleric spells! Decent hit points to, thanks to the 12 base.

Have fun with the angry little guy!

Zenon

First Post
Hi Quickbeam,

A+ for concept, I have alreay seen an NPC similar to this in one of our games.

Things to consider -

1) Multiclassing will reduce you spellcasting abilities.

2) Raging will preclude you from casting, turning, etc, while in force.

As someone else pointed out, you can play them as "barbaric" without having to take the class, or perhaps take Ranger if you would like to have the "nomadic" skills. It really depends on if you have your heart set on any of the Barbarian abilities.

Your call really. What you have now will work, it's not really min/max'ed but I take it that's not what you're looking for.

Zenon

First Post
Re: I like it :)

Zog said:
Don't forget to buy literacy!

I believe if he multiclasses from Barbarian, he automatically gets literacy. I thought I saw that in the PHB somewhere(?)

You'd have to check on this...

Xarlen

First Post
Bravo on the character. :) Focusing on a weakness and overcoming that is nice. Kobold barbarians are always neat, too.

I say go for the Luck domain. Rerolling something is Very crucial. But if you want to go for sheer combat prowess, I guess War is best.

And, I personally like going from Cleric to Barbarian better. The focus of your faith allowing you to find your more wild side, and finding a way to tap into it.

As noted before. A single level as a barbarian shouldn't hurt your spellcasting Too badly (especially if there's another cleric in the party).

Good luck!

Quickbeam

Explorer
reap:
You caught me creating a PC with role-playing in mind and not min/maxing...oh the shame ;). I agree that this is not an optimal race/deity combo, but it sure sounds like fun to me!

Palantir:
I agree with your assessment as it relates to party composition...it just pains me to forego the multiclass concept because the party may rely on his healing prowess. I was considering the prospect of making this PC somewhat uninterested in his divine healing powers, even if this forces the group to purchase potions, etc. However, that may be a bit selfish and egocentric on my part -- and annoying to his companions.

Zog:
Welcome to the Boards and thanks for posting!!
The War domain isn't available to clerics of Kord, and this character wouldn't choose one of the deities associated with that domain under my concept. But believe me, I looked ;). However, I do tend to agree that a barbarian is more likely to find religion, than a priest is likely to find some inner barbaric rage. Nonetheless, I'm still torn.

Zenon:
I hadn't considered the multiclass with ranger, but that would also fit the nomadic background. I'm fine with the barbarian rage negating his casting and turning abilities, but I'm not sure I can swallow the slow spell progression. Clearly this little guy isn't anywhere near min/maxed and that's fine by me :D. I've rolled pretty well for attribute scores, and just need to plug the #s in place.

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice so far, and keep it coming.

jollyninja

First Post
take barbarian first so you can have 4 ranks in intimidate. the other benefits are good too but i see this as the most important one. stay back, assist the party, then run in and mop up when you have no spells left that can help. that's my advice. sounds like a really fun to play character.

Valicor

First Post
This might sound alittle out there, but hey its just an idea. for the nomadic stuff, make him a druid, who follows Kord, and believes in the strength of nature maybe, It would cover your nomad idea's and allow spell progression all in one. Just a thought, though.

Remove ads