Opinions on EVE-Online?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I guess what I was trying to say is that the fact that there is even a game out there that is designed to allow (and encourage) people to screw other people over is disturbing.
I just meant that that is a tiny part of the online world.

Anyway, I'd rather play a game where I know for sure people are out to get me than something where people are in a constant war with the mods to find loopholes to screw you with (like DiabloII).

CarlZog

Explorer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Wow, they f;):cool:ked someone over. Go them. :\

I do understand what you mean, but deception and intrigue are a central element of many games. Certainly, you've played in tabletop RPGs in which you and your party were in disguise or undercover or attempting to deceive somebody for your own gain. This is no different only the stakes are higher -- particularly if the only people you've ever previously attempted to deceive were NPCs. The chance to match wits with other real people -- particularly with some semi-tangible investment of mine own at risk -- is an exciting proposition.

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be doing that in EVE. I just discovered that the client software doesn't work with my video card. :(

Carl

RiTz21

Explorer
I played Eve-Online what it was in BETA, then I played the first 4-5 starting Months.

I loved that game, but I realised (after some time) that if I did'nt get OUT, I would loose much (like my Wife ..!) - Addictive games can have disastrous effects on your social life...

I was lucky to see the light before I was engulfed! And I sold my Character for quite a sum: She was very rich - In the initial universe, it was quite easy to get the top ores - they eventually saw it was too easy and made it much more difficult to mine it... But It was too late: My character (and many others!) were loaded as Hell!!

I've not touched it since then, and I'll never get back to it.
I wonder how many people's lives will be ruined/damaged by such great games... Evil, is'nt it ?

RiTz21

Zappo

Explorer
The "point" is not to screw over other people, and the game doesn't encourage this in the least. It merely allows it to happen. Human nature does the rest. EVE has all the standard anti-scam features (secure trading, accessible character information), and then some (corporation roles).
CarlZog said:
Zappo, how much time do you average per month?
I play less than five hours per week these days. :(
Back when I started, I played a lot more... but I didn't work at the time. I think you need to play a good deal when starting, to get the hang of how everything works.

Last edited:

CarlZog

Explorer
RiTz21 said:
I wonder how many people's lives will be ruined/damaged by such great games... Evil, is'nt it ?

Very. I got the game up and running on another computer, just so I could take a look at it using a free 2-week promo I found online.....

This is truly unbelievable. Yeah, this could suck up my life.

Carl

CarlZog

Explorer
RiTz21 said:
My God!

I wonder if the Top people of that guild (who lost so much) would have any reasons to continue playing ... I sure would quite right away and never look back!!

RPGs have a funny way of mirroring humanity. Some folks get back on the horse after it kicks them; others don't. Most games just don't kick hard enough to really test your mettle like this!

If I played for 18 months and lost it all, would I jump back in for another try? If the game was that compelling the first time around, I suspect I'd be eager to go again.

Carl

Ysgarran

EVE does allow for this kind of game play but it doesn't have to be the focus. The beauty of EVE is that it does allow for a wide range of game styles.

If you didn't enjoy gathering up wealth, running a coporation and getting to that point, you really shouldn't be playing that style of game. In other words, if you are not enjoying the process why are you playing?

Ysgarran.

RiTz21

Explorer
I still maintain that, in a sense, those very good Online games are a danger to some individuals: They will get immersed so much in those virtual worlds, they they will loose touch with the real world.

Case in point, have you ever heard of those Japanese Hermits? Kids staying in their room to play [online] games all the time, to the point where they don't do much else? I read an article about that - it's a growing phenomenon that will get more and more attention as the number people stuck in that lifestyle will increase. Will we talk about Online virtual games in the same breath as we talk about Drugs?

When I was playing Eve-Online, I met this guy from the States which I eventually joined to build a company - well this guy was "Working" Eve... Yes, working as a "job" !! He would get up in the morning, play all day, then goto EBAY and SELL the Money he'd made... (At that time, when you were Rich, it was easier to get richer)... AMAZING, is'nt it? For fun, click here... :
http://search.ebay.com//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=ISK

As a comparison, when I used to play Eve, I'd sell 30,000,000 ISK for about $50-$60 USD ...

What can I say...
Only one thing: BEWARE !

RiTz21

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases