Opinions on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4ed?

aramis erak

Legend
Thanks! Every day is a school day.

Do you feel the HC has a lot less fluff than earlier editions?

Im looking at the 4e section on Glorious Reikland and it comes to 22 pages about the empire, including history. The races and careers sections also seem to have a lot of fluff. It’s difficult to compare with 1e as the buying guide part is kind of rolled into the fluff.

It's roughly the same size as the 1E rulebook, has more pages of mechanics, and larger text. And the class/career pages are less fluff each, and fewer in number, this also providing less.

So, yeah, I think it is notably less, if one considers the amount of setting in the 1E career descriptions. It's a bit more useful for what fluff it has, and is probably a slightly better game... but I know 1E already.

There is enough setting material to actually run it, albeit shallower.

aramis erak

Legend
Yeah I'm looking for physical books, I can't read on the screen that long. And there aren't any epub releases of RPG books (or only a few).
The larger eInk readers all do PDF fine. Even my (now dead from screen fail) Kindle Oasis did PDF ok... but you had to zoom then pan for letter sized to be readable on the 7" screen.
I just got a likebook Alita as a gift; it does a bunch of nifty things with PDFs - like allowing you to go into two-column transform - where it scrolls the half-page single column, so you don't have to zoom and pan. Plus, it allows writing on the PDF itself.

It even has a note backdrop of 1cm grid if one needs it.

Mercador

Adventurer
The larger eInk readers all do PDF fine. Even my (now dead from screen fail) Kindle Oasis did PDF ok... but you had to zoom then pan for letter sized to be readable on the 7" screen.
I just got a likebook Alita as a gift; it does a bunch of nifty things with PDFs - like allowing you to go into two-column transform - where it scrolls the half-page single column, so you don't have to zoom and pan. Plus, it allows writing on the PDF itself.

It even has a note backdrop of 1cm grid if one needs it.
I have an Kobo Aura One and reading PDFs on it is out of question, Kobo software is crap to navigate PDF, zooming is too slow on a eReader to be usable. However, I'll check Alita as a 10" ereader will be perfect for reading PDF but I guess it's a bit pricey.

aramis erak

Legend
I have an Kobo Aura One and reading PDFs on it is out of question, Kobo software is crap to navigate PDF, zooming is too slow on a eReader to be usable. However, I'll check Alita as a 10" ereader will be perfect for reading PDF but I guess it's a bit pricey.
The software navigates PDF pretty well, and allows annotation over or margin notes on a side-by-side. The Boox is faster and more powerful, but also more expensive. Both Boyue and Boox have 13" as well. I was limited in budget, and the Boyue Likebook Alita was the best in my allowed range. (I'll note I payed more for my PRS-600 back in the day.) It's a decent compromise between power, price, and size.
Things that run the battery quick: Bluetooth, non-optimized android apps.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases