• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Opportunity Attack around a Corner: Yes or No?

Oofta

Legend
Keep in mind that the Opportunity Attack is provoked as the orc is leaving the square. At that point, it is not really "around the corner" anymore, and should be clearly in Grimmwald's view (see the green circle in attached image).

The better "cheesy" question here would be if the orc's direction of travel was reversed. If Kalista cast some fear effect on the orc in front of her and it followed the blue path ending in its shown position, would Grimmwald get an OA as it left the square directly around the corner from him (see the red circle in attached image)? RAW is yes. Personally I would give the orc cover from Grimmwald that far around the corner.

View attachment 136242
Good point. Wouldn't make any difference in my game because there's no reason to think that Grimmwald couldn't see the orc, or know that he was leaving.

Whether it make sense or not, combatants are assumed to have 360 degree awareness except under unusual circumstances. While I sometimes think that's a bit silly, it's also simple and the best way to run the game for me.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Whether it make sense or not, combatants are assumed to have 360 degree awareness except under unusual circumstances. While I sometimes think that's a bit silly, it's also simple and the best way to run the game for me.
Minor point: I think Grimmwald has full awareness of the square and so he has no problem being aware the orc is leaving. What pushes my sense of disbelief is that Grimmwald could hit that red circle with a melee weapon from his current location. Maybe the OA occurs as the orc reaches the red circle, while most of the orc is still in the square for Grimmwald to hit?

Oofta

Legend
Minor point: I think Grimmwald has full awareness of the square and so he has no problem being aware the orc is leaving. What pushes my sense of disbelief is that Grimmwald could hit that red circle with a melee weapon from his current location. Maybe the OA occurs as the orc reaches the red circle, while most of the orc is still in the square for Grimmwald to hit?
If you have a problem with that, no opportunity attack makes sense which is a significant change. I view it as hitting them as they turn their back and start to leave, they are still in the adjacent square when you attack.

I Grimmwald had sentinel feat which changes the target of an opportunity attack's movement to zero, the orc would be stopped in the square adjacent to Grimmwald. The orc started to leave the adjacent space, they had not yet left. Besides, with most melee weapons you probably have at least 5 ft of reach if you extend your arm. That, and it's just an abstraction made for simplification of the game.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think it's because six seconds is an eternity in a fight and five feet is a pretty big space. It's considered that you square off with opponents and try a few lunges and dance around and whatever. You've got time to look about for danger and movement (within the space) to do it in.

So what I'm hearing here is that I am indeed in the minority on this, and pretty much everyone agrees with my players.

Okay, I accept that. I still think this is cheesy, but I accept that I'm the odd one out. This is what I wanted to know.

Oh, and as for having the orc move through his buddy's square, yes, that would be an option in this specific case, but there will be times when it's not possible, so it's still good to know how to handle those situations in future.
You are in the minority because you are making up something that isn't RAW. Being around the corner does nothing to prevent opportunity attacks.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
No need to be rude about it. I was just asking for clarification, and I got it.
I don't think they meant that to be rude, but I can see why you might take it that way. There's a "terseness" that comes from people typing things using as little words as possible. It's one of the reasons that Twitter seems like such a cesspool. Politeness, by its nature, takes more words. It's why we tend to describe anger as being "short" (with someone). We just read it that way.

I'm pretty sure that Nefermandias was just explaining WHY it might seem that you are in the minority. What you expect is different than what the rules say. That's not a judgement, it's just a fact. It's likely that what you're imagining is not what the game is trying to portray. (But of course, the game allows you to do whatever you prefer in your own game, but it's best to allow whatever makes your players happy, as long as it doesn't ruin your own fun.)

I don't think they meant that to be rude, but I can see why you might take it that way. There's a "terseness" that comes from people typing things using as little words as possible. It's one of the reasons that Twitter seems like such a cesspool. Politeness, by its nature, takes more words. It's why we tend to describe anger as being "short" (with someone). We just read it that way.

I'm pretty sure that Nefermandias was just explaining WHY it might seem that you are in the minority. What you expect is different than what the rules say. That's not a judgement, it's just a fact. It's likely that what you're imagining is not what the game is trying to portray. (But of course, the game allows you to do whatever you prefer in your own game, but it's best to allow whatever makes your players happy, as long as it doesn't ruin your own fun.)
Thank you.
And yes, I wasn't trying to be rude or anything.

Sorry, @jayoungr , maybe I should read my own posts out loud before posting. I can see how it could be read as if I was annoyed by the question.
My bad.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
RAW in the scenario presented, there would be an Opportunity Attack with no cover or line of sight obsctruction. As it was pointed out, the orc could move through an ally's space and avoid it entirely instead. He thus merit that smack!

Remove ads