• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Optimization: Master Transmogrifist (epic)

SnowHeart

First Post
All, this is largely a mental exercise but I would appreciate input on this. I've been doing a lot of research and trying to digest all the information available about polymorphing and the Master Transmogrifist PrC from Complete Arcane. This would be a back-up character or potential cohort in an epic level campaign I'm in.

My first questions are: What do you think of the class picks, and what favored shapes would you recommend?

Underlying Assumptions: Character is a middle-aged Human; MM1 through MM4 are available (I don't have MM5 but the DM is using it) as is Libris Mortis and maybe a few other books; Starting at lvl 22

Sorcerer 8 / Warshaper 2 / MasTrans 10 / Abj Champ 2
Base Abilities with 32-point buy adjusted for middle age and 20 HD: STR 7, DEX 7, CON 11, INT 17, WIS 14, CHA 23 (STR and CON will go up by +4 with Warshaper levels)

Possible Favored Shapes: Cryo-Hydra (obviously), War Troll (obviously), Will-o-Wisp (obviously)... what else?

Thanks in advance. I'll keep posting further follow-up questions in this thread.

Slushpuppiet

First Post
If you're still wondering, I found Grey Render, Remorhaz, and Firbolg to all be good forms. My MT only has regular hydra as a shape, because all breath weapons are supernatural abilities unless otherwise noted. The DM and I both agreed that the cryo and pyro hydras are magical beasts, so their breath weapons must be supernatural, but i suppose that's something for you and your DM to work out.

Knightblade

First Post
ABC and Mast Tran

Well first you obviously do Abjurant Champ 1st since as a polymorphed sorcerer you need better base attack to really do a good job and with 4 sided hit dice 5 levels of 10sided and the superior AC will go a long way toward keeping you alive as a Master Transmogrifist.And SU abilities arent a problem...one you can take the assume supernatural ability feat from the Savage Species Book and two you get them with shapechange once you get 9th level spells.
Try this on for size...2 levels of rogue 1st for evaision will save your but many times also take the craven feat and with a hydra youll get sneak attack and craven with every head whenever your flanking or use blink spell and get it all the time:)

Knightblade

First Post
Master tran best class

I also like using wujen spell giant size when your out doors. A collosal sized hydra with craven kills just about anything in one round.And when you get to level 10 mix hydra and and a grell together for 22 attacks per round ....time to go god hunting anyone ? :)

Knightblade

First Post
Do the math

LOL You havent done the math my friend.The above character would need to be level 25 to attain level 10 as a Master Transmogrifist with 5 levels of AB Champ 8 sor and 2 rog.Now heres the math when you can do sneak attack.Which is always with a Blionbk spell cast on you.22 attacks with craven 550 points just fior that...strength damage 12 heads at +6 72 points 10 tentacles at +3 str 30 points...12 heads at 2-8 each 10 tentacles at 1-4 each and 25 sneak attack at 1d6 each....with average die rolling grand total 834 points damage to one creature per round.As I said god hunting anyone??/

Remove ads