D&D 5E (OPTIMIZATION) THE NAMELESS KING ! THE WIZARD's NIGHTMARE! LAST BOSS

mgshamster

First Post
Speaking of Planar Binding, how does that actually work? The only way I can figure it is as follows:

Cast Magic Circle (inverted). Cast Gate. Cast Planar Binding.

There's some issues with that, though.

1) Gate is a 9th level spell, which the villain doesn't have and can't wish for. Another legendary magic scroll?

2) Gate requires knowing the True Name of the fiend you're summoning, and the only thing that might grant a true name of a fiend in the books is the artifact Book of Vile Darkness. But then how did he get the true name of the celestial in the list? The only other way is to physically meet the fiend, charm it magically (and they all have magic resistance), and force it to tell you its true name.

3) He doesn't have Magic Circle on his spell list. Maybe wish to cast it?

4) Even if all these conditions are met, we're at a max of 180 days for his short rests before the planar binding wears off, assuming they failed the Cha save (DC 19, but the pit fiend has +7 with advantage).

5) A bunch if friends and a celestial all bound to a LE character isn't going to go smoothly. He only has an Int of 8 and Wis of 8, and they will surely outsmart him and twist all his commands.

beowulf316

First Post
The creature also has to be within range of the spell 60' for the entire 1 hour casting time, no flying around invisible with Sanctuary binding a creature to you will by his own definition is a hostile action.

Honestly one simple spell handles him... Color Spray DC 20 + at 20th level and it is a wisdom save, and he has a -1 and so cannot make the save except with a 20, dazed for D4 rounds, can't cast spells, can't concentrate to maintain spells. You counter spell, that's nice, burn a 3rd level spell to counter a first, lets see who runs out first.

Or the easy way he sealed his sanctum with a stone wall, Planer Ally 10 minute cast time contact a powerful outsider who sends an entity to assist you with a task, point at the sanctum... fill it with water. I guess he missed the helm of water breathing too.

Last edited:

My friends and I used to take turns creating a mega-character that the rest of the group has to come up with ways to kill it. It was fun for a little while but it got redundant. The '20' on an attack roll is always a hit overrides everything else. The best way to stop some any mega-character is to generate as many attacks as possible. The easiest way to do this is to use as many first level characters as possible spread-out so they can't be killed by an area attack. 100 archers firing a single arrow will hit 5 times for 17.5 damage. Since its a critical hit, damage doubles to 35 points of damage. Use variant humans, take the sharpshooter feat, and the damage becomes 85 points of damage.

In a games I run, I use a house rule from an earlier addition of D&D to stop these kinds of problems. If 50 levels or more of magic exist in one location, either through spell casting or magic items, I roll a percentage each round to see if a gate is opened up to the Astral Plane and random monsters start coming through. If the players have been giving me a hard time, the random monster may be a gith raiding party riding a red dragon :) .

Zardnaar

Legend
Ah OK. I missed most of that and wasn't aware there'd been a ruling along those lines.

Yes. As I recall, [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] has had a lot to say about that spell in the recent past.

Yeah my mind is still polluted with modern D&Disms/powergaming stupid forums/wotc editions of D&D. I shall give myself an AD&D enema (not actually playing any D&D atm, IRL stuff to deal with).

Hayato

Explorer
First of all, If you consider an NPC having magic items, then you will have to consider PCs having too, which will generate endless speculation. They'll have Luck Blade, Holy Avenger, Vorpal Sword, Shield+3, Armor +3, Mantle of Spell Resistance, Wings of Flying, Ring of Invisibility, and keep going on.

With 8 of Intelligence, any illusion will work against him, so just the PCs throw any spell on him. Moreover, with 8 of WIS and no perception proficiency, anything invisible or stealthy will get close to him. Not to mention that in a matter of roleplay, 8 on WIS and INT is a dumb person.

The point is, without any magic item, this character is weak, and anyone with magic item is strong. Without those items he'll have 18 AC, or 23 AC using Shield Spell. He'll don't have any immunity or resistance. I really don't know where he get resistance to ranged attack, always flying or truesight. If the ranged resistance or truesight is only by the will of the creator of the character, then it ends the discussion, since anyone can create an invincible character. If it can not homemade content, then the creator's will can not come into question.

He may have all the defense and power of the world, but being slow (in the sense of distracted) and imbecile (for not being provided with any instruction) and his copy having the same status, I can not see him noticing any person who is getting close to him. Just throw a two Assassin Rogues (or Arcane Trickers invisible) with expertise on Stealth.

In the end, HOW 8 INT AND 8 WIS is "extremely efficient when summoning demons, as Lawful Evil villain is extraordinarily organized and tyrant". He is not a tyrant. He is just a puppet of someone greater. People often find this game is an MMORPG that the weight of status does not matter, as does the weight of skill proficiency. Again, with 8 in intelligence and wisdom and without any proficiency in insight and history, he would never be a strategist. It would not be better that a barbarian who learned to use magic, he is powerful, but he is easily manipulated, either by persuasion or by magic. As a DM, I always love characters like this.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The creature also has to be within range of the spell 60' for the entire 1 hour casting time, no flying around invisible with Sanctuary binding a creature to you will by his own definition is a hostile action.

Honestly one simple spell handles him... Color Spray DC 20 + at 20th level and it is a wisdom save, and he has a -1 and so cannot make the save except with a 20, dazed for D4 rounds, can't cast spells, can't concentrate to maintain spells. You counter spell, that's nice, burn a 3rd level spell to counter a first, lets see who runs out first.

Or the easy way he sealed his sanctum with a stone wall, Planer Ally 10 minute cast time contact a powerful outsider who sends an entity to assist you with a task, point at the sanctum... fill it with water. I guess he missed the helm of water breathing too.

How u get close enough to cast color spray? 1200ft range must be overcome?

mgshamster

First Post
How u get close enough to cast color spray? 1200ft range must be overcome?

It's not that difficult. Many of this villains tactics require him to be close to you, so just wait for that, right? Or be invisible and sneak in close, since he won't cast his buffs until he knows he is in combat (that's how he gets around the sorc point limitations). You can fly right up to him as an invisible creature, taking the hide action. He'll never see you with a passive perception of 9. Then combat can start with you inside of his insect swarm radius.

FrogReaver

The basic premise of the villain is a fun thought experiment.

Villain is Flying 1200' in air while invisible and hidden with see invisibility cast.

You have to find him. Get close enough to him while flying. And then actually do enough to defeat him and his simulacrum.

FrogReaver

It's not that difficult. Many of this villains tactics require him to be close to you, so just wait for that, right? Or be invisible and sneak in close, since he won't cast his buffs until he knows he is in combat (that's how he gets around the sorc point limitations). You can fly right up to him as an invisible creature, taking the hide action. He'll never see you with a passive perception of 9. Then combat can start with you inside of his insect swarm radius.

Ignore all that fluff. Most of the things the guy tried to add as defenses were detrimental to the overall concept. The basic concept works as a long ranged invisible flying blaster with lots of counter spells and see invisibility.

its not unbeatable by every conceivable combination this way. But it is unbeatable for most parties this way.

mgshamster

First Post
Ignore all that fluff. Most of the things the guy tried to add as defenses were detrimental to the overall concept. The basic concept works as a long ranged invisible flying blaster with lots of counter spells and see invisibility.

its not unbeatable by every conceivable combination this way. But it is unbeatable for most parties this way.

Counterspell has a range of 60', though. So he can't use that without being close enough for other spells.

So really, it's just a guy at 1200' with Eldritch blast, and that's it.

I'd you have see invisibility, then you can see him, too. From there, it's just a matter if getting that range. And it can be done with a rune from SKT and a long bow.

Otherwise it's a spell to get close enough to fire a normal longbow at 600' or get within casting range.

Really, the only thing it has going for it is range and spells to keep that range, and infinite 1-5 spell slots. With that, let me put something up.

Clarification Questions: What magic items does he have? What magic items can I have?

Remove ads