D&D 5E (OPTIMIZATION) THE NAMELESS KING ! THE WIZARD's NIGHTMARE! LAST BOSS

MisterWhisper

First Post
You were temp-banned for three days to prevent you posting in this thread as asked, since you refused to do it voluntarily. You actually had me on-side at first; I thought you were excitable but harmless. Then you proceeded to do *everything* wrong, racking up one thing after another - insulting other members, arguing with moderators in-thread, posting in threads you were asked not to, circumventing temp-bans with an alt account. So now you're perma-banned. Next place you end up, read their rules and follow them, eh?

He is not going to leave you know.

I mentioned on page 5 exactly how he acts, how he responds, and how he has been banned multiple times.

Nobody cared.

Be prepared to be busy a few days unless you can IP ban, he will be back and do it again under another name.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
He is not going to leave you know.

I mentioned on page 5 exactly how he acts, how he responds, and how he has been banned multiple times.

Nobody cared.

Be prepared to be busy a few days unless you can IP ban, he will be back and do it again under another name.

Don't worry about it; not my first rodeo.

We have developed very easy to use one-click ban tools over the last 20 years. Trust me, it's a LOT more effort to create a new account and post than for a mod to click a single button. I'm happy to hit that button as many times as needed; it's an insignificant amount of effort. It's his own time he'll be wasting.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I think that's an excellent plan. It's one I've pondered, but never mentioned.

Now that we know the villain is set in stone and can no longer be modified (and I'll note the most recent update was today at 4 pm GMT), we can actually make a build to counter it. Previously, every proposed build to fight the villain was countered with the villain bring updated to stop that specific build. The first one was an Archer who used poisoned arrows, and now the villain has immunity to poison. Meteor swarm was a common tactic, and he uses his wish to make him immune (with a chance of him never being able to cast wish ever again).

And now that I think of it, the use of wish to provide immunity was a huge mistake.

His strength drops to 3 for 2d4 days (making him unlikely to carry all his magic gear), and he takes 1d10 damage per spell level for every spell cast. We know he uses an 8th level counterspell as soon as an opponent casts any spell. So that's 8d10 (44 average) right there. He also puts up all his buffs at the start of combat. That's four spells of 5th or lower. If they're all 5th level, that's an average of 110 damage. This villain just killed himself. Contingency: Revivify takes place, and now he's up with 1 HP. Any more spells or attacks kills him. His clone awakes back at home base with no equipment. Now you have all his legendary equipment.

Easy enough to kill of the army of undead and the Sim at this point - or capture the Sim and force it to tell you where the home base is.

Well, the enemy is somehow using two neck pieces at once. He is either immune to scrying or immune to poison. And if the Sim has the other, which?

Reading over what was clearly revised by the OP, I wonder what these undead mages are he is referring to. Are we talking create undead now or something? Or just saying he has them because DM put them there? Are they willful? How, if they are spaced out as they were not before, are they being commanded otherwise?

Honestly, this boss is very different from when I started reading this thread, but I only really read this one, due to the others he had already made on the exact same thing. I am honestly more interested in why he wants this information rather then defeating it.

mgshamster

First Post
Well, the enemy is somehow using two neck pieces at once. He is either immune to scrying or immune to poison. And if the Sim has the other, which?

Reading over what was clearly revised by the OP, I wonder what these undead mages are he is referring to. Are we talking create undead now or something? Or just saying he has them because DM put them there? Are they willful? How, if they are spaced out as they were not before, are they being commanded otherwise?

As far as I can tell, he believed that he could pick and choose what types of undead he got, and he picked Archers and Mages. The spell only says skeleton or zombie, and then you have to equip them all. Is there even a spell that grants an undead mage in the book?

The spacing of the undead has been there since this thread started, if I recall correctly. It's always been the plan to prevent AoE from being as effective as it could. And he has always planned on giving them a single command and letting them continue that command throughout the battle. We don't know what that command is - likely to clear out all sources of hiding and to attack anyone they find. It's a valid enough command, even if it's two things.

Honestly, this boss is very different from when I started reading this thread, but I only really read this one, due to the others he had already made on the exact same thing. I am honestly more interested in why he wants this information rather then defeating it.

Now that's a question I doubt we'll ever know the answer to.

Personally, I'm still interested in seeing if a single PC can take out the villain, as presented here. I'd also grant that PC the same number of magic items at the same rarity levels that the villain currently has.

beowulf316

First Post
2 cents here, If I played in a "Campaign " that had this "unbeatable" boss at the end, I think my counter would be... wow this was a massive waste of time, so what are we playing now, to OP, no you aren't running, in fact you aren't invited to the game (I host game). Problem solved.

A DM that changes their villains in the middle of a fight or to counter an idea the party came up with to beat them is not a DM I want running a game I'm playing in, particularly a campaign. A one-off to see if you can beat my big bad I came up with yes, but an actual campaign unfolds over months, it is a big investment to have someone say, oh by the way you lose against the final villain because I box text the fight.

This isn't an Optimization thread but a "How to tell if you have a bad DM thread"

*climbs off soap box*

pukunui

Legend
Fiends:

- Pit Fiend (Meteor Swarm?), focus on flying enemies.
- Arcanaloth:
- Alter self: Duplicate Villain at will, Invisibility at will, Magic Missale at will, MindBlank, Counterspell (Amazing against spellcasters) and others.
- Ultraloth dispel magic at will, Mass Sugestion, Invisibility at will and others
- Couatl: Greater Restauration and suporting
Apparently a couatl is now a fiend instead of a celestial.

beowulf316

First Post
Also lets just break this build, Sanctuary only lasts as long as you don't take a hostile action, by his own definition (buried in this 19 pages of revisions) a hostile action does not have to cause damage. As soon as he counter spells, orders his "Undead Army" of 8 or Summons one of his fiends his Sanctuary spell drops. also based on that same definition his invisibility since he is playing fast and loose with his definitions, since you can't hide in plain sight his stealth bonus does nothing someone shouts "Pull" and he gets filled full of arrows.

"Which one is it" the one hiding in the ball of darkness... so instead of "I magic missile the dark" I fireball the dark, 1/2 your defenses don't work because I'm not targeting you.

Local king "Yeah we know about that guy, every couple of years he shows up for a couple hours animates a hand full of undead summons a fiend or two and goes back to bed. We just send a party out to deal with the stuff he summons, he is harmless."

I'm also curious as to why I can't stand in the open, he doesn't really have any offensive with his spell selection. The Cleric or paladin Turn undead (and likely the fiends too) and you play cards while he floats around not really doing much until his buffs run out.

mgshamster

First Post
I'm also curious as to why I can't stand in the open, he doesn't really have any offensive with his spell selection.

I can explain that. My original archer build had to start the combat hidden in order to cancel his disadvantage from the Sim's darkness and/or invisibility.

I always shot the Sim first, as two arrows would take him out and I didn't have auto-advantage from the oathbow against the Sim. I figured starting the battle hidden would be allowed, as he started the battle with 6 rounds of buffs active.

This was all before he had immunity to poison. Start hidden, shoot the Sim (likely concentration would break), bonus action hide, shoot Sim again. Sim dead. Shoot CL (advantage from Oathbow would cancel any disadvantage). Likely concentration would break. Use action surge, fire three more times with tri-vantage. With average damage modified by probability to hit per the standard DPR equation, I could kill them both in one round, but he'd be back with 1 HP thanks to contingency: Revivify. This gave him one action to use, and then he'd be dead.

But all that's out the window now, because of immunity to poison. Ah well.

Anyways, that's why he was so focused on preventing people from hiding. It's also how I know that he was the same person as the other forum, despite him trying to deny it over and over.

beowulf316

First Post
Cleric casts Planer Ally before they get near the fight, contacts their diety, help us defeat this guy, Appropriately aligned celestial shows up to counter all the BS.

Planer Binding takes an hour to cast and consumes a 1k gp gem, not really useful to cast during a fight.

I have some more ideas, however ultimately this person is the DM, he will get what he wants and the question becomes what does everyone want to play next and no you aren't running and may not even be playing. Honestly I feel sorry for any group he runs for, I suspect they have to deal with purple ninjas (coined after some purple ninja NPCs showed up in a game and wiped out an enemy force leaving the party with nothing to do, now used for any over powered NPC that steals the limelight from the PCs, also called DMPCs). It is always harder to find a DM than it is to find players.

Again if this was a one off "build something that can kill my big bad" it would be one thing, but he was talking about a campaign which he has more control over, so actually that his party doesn't have a chance against (unless they avoided side quests to get gear or level up) it is basically his fault.

There is nothing about the build that makes me think "wow that's a cool idea", 3 pages of poor me I'm all alone so I'm going to worship an evil deity back story does not make for a memorable villain... it actually sounds like the teenage vampire books and movies. The only interesting thing is how hard he is to kill, but that is only because the DM is mangling the rules. Hard to kill using his mangled version of the rules and him running the game yes, for anyone else that actually follows the rule book not really, and not much of a threat either.

Remove ads