Options and Multiclassing...

Flobby

Explorer
I maybe the only one but I actually like the new multiclass rules. And along the same line of thought, I don't get the (prevailing?) opinion that 4E has less options than 3E. I can kind of understand it with the wizard and cleric but even then the 4e versions can do much more at first level.
But on the whole the classes are much more versitle than the classes of the 3.x core books.
And the new multiclassing rules actually allow you to dabble in other classes at first level.

The only grip I have is there isn't enough feats for multiclassing. I'd love to see an at-will swap feat, and more feats that gave you the option of taking at-will powers and other class features as encounter powers.

Raith5

Adventurer
Flobby said:
The only grip I have is there isn't enough feats for multiclassing. I'd love to see an at-will swap feat, and more feats that gave you the option of taking at-will powers and other class features as encounter powers.

While I am not a fan of the MC system overall, I am liking 4th ed a lot and I agree that there should be more options to multiclass deeper. In particular I think the cost of MC feats are way to steep, the 3 power swap feats should be a group package and cost one feat.

Flobby

Explorer
I was thinking something like this:

Instead of having power swap feats have Improved versions of the other multiclassed feats. For example, those who take Initiate of the Faith can spend another feat to take a Cleric at-will power as an encounter power or a channel divinity power as a daily. Then they can choose to take yet another feat to take a Cleric encounter power as a daily.

Then instead of having 3 power swap feat just have a feat called Power Swap that lets you, well, swap powers limited by your level.

what do you think?
Oh wait, this should be in the house rules forum shouldn't it...

Thanee

First Post
The toughest choice seems to be the Paragon Multiclassing. The feats are alright (remember, that each level you can choose new powers to swap instead of the previous ones, therefore you get quite some flexibility).

But losing all (~3) of your Paragon powers, most of which are general powers, which do not take actions to use (and as such more powerful than other powers in general), only to gain a single 1st level power (swapped out for another). THAT seems a bit harsh. And then you also get a level reduction for your Paragon level power swaps. That's a lot to pay.

Bye
Thanee

Flobby

Explorer
There i totally agree. The paragon multiclass system is pretty wack, anyone making that choice definitly gets the shaft. They should get more powers to compensate or something.

Stogoe

First Post
Thanee said:
And then you also get a level reduction for your Paragon level power swaps. That's a lot to pay.

Note that you only choose lower level powers from your multiclass because there aren't any higher level powers from that class available when you get your paragon powers.

Also, you might look at your multiclass's paragon paths to see if they're a better fit than just going further into the base class.

drquestion

Explorer
Stogoe said:
Also, you might look at your multiclass's paragon paths to see if they're a better fit than just going further into the base class.
Yeah, unless you're multiclassing into ranger or warlock, it seems like in most cases taking a paragon path from your other class will be more effective than doing the paragon-multiclass thing. In most cases, I don't think getting another class's at-will will be worth what you give up for not taking a paragon path.

Thanee

First Post
Stogoe said:

I'm not sure, I'm with you here... can you select a full Paragon Path from your second class?

EDIT: Right... found it. :D

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Remove ads