Orbs vs. Evocations II- with level by level data

shmoo2

First Post
After reading (and participating) in the recent LONG orbs vs. evocations thread, I decided to gather data to see if the anecdotes brought forth were valid. My results, I think, are interesting, and have caused me to reassess my position on the orb spells.

This attached file is a spreadsheet which calculates average damage for a wizard of level N using both an orb spell and an evocation against all the monsters in the SRD with CR of N.
It goes from level 7 (when orbs are first available) until level 16 (just after their damage cap). That is half the game- and about 200 monsters. Feel free to play around with the numbers as you will.

The model takes critical hits and monsters' always on/at will abilities into account. It assumes the spell uses the element targeting the monster's lowest Energy Resistance. The mage progressions are shown in the spreadsheet. No special feats are used for either build- I assume they would cancel out. E.g. giving the evoker Spell Penetration and GSP is canceled out by giving the orb slinger Weapon Focus and Imp. Critical.

The summary data is as follows. Data from each level is the average for all the monsters at that CR targeted by a wizard of that level:

Code:
Level Size  SR   Ref Fort touch AC %Chance for Orb hit % Chance to beat SR % Chance for full evoc.damage  Average Orb Damage  Average Evocation Damage  [B]ratio[/B]  % Chance for Orb effect  Level

7     2.2  2.14 7.14 8.77   10.33        0.75                0.92                 0.50                          18.79                     16.57          [B]1.13[/B]      0.30                    7

8     2.2  1.73 7.63 9.41    10.5        0.81                0.96                 0.47                          23.12                     19.29          [B]1.20[/B]      0.30                    8

9    2.5   4.12 9.53 12.43  10.13        0.85                0.89                 0.43                          27.19                     19.47          [B]1.40[/B]      0.24                    9

10   2.5   5.5   8.0 11.4    8.9         0.93                0.81                 0.50                          33.14                     20.79          [B]1.59[/B]      0.30                    10

11   2.5   6     10.6 13.2   11.0         0.83               0.85                 0.40                           48.81                    33.24          [B]1.47[/B]      0.21                    11

12   2.8  11.6   9.3  15.0   7.6          0.94               0.74                 0.48                           61.31                    35.01          [B]1.75[/B]      0.21                    12

13   2.4  15.4   10.0 14.0   10.0        0.92               0.68                 0.45                           73.11                     36.35          [B]2.01[/B]      0.23                    13

14  2.2   21.3   11.7  15.4  10.4        0.92               0.60                 0.39                           78.33                     33.13          [B]2.36[/B]      0.19                    14

15  2.6   18.7   11.0  15.3  8.9         0.95               0.75                 0.45                           103.1                     57.1           [B]1.81[/B]      0.22                    15

16  2.6   25.1   13    16.5  9.5         0.94               0.54                 0.39                           98.7                      35.8           [B]2.76[/B]      0.20                    16
The key stat is the ratio between orb damage and evocations- it's how many monsters need to be caught in the Area of Effect for evocations to be worth it.

As you can see, orbs start out fairly balanced with evocations. They do more damage, and have a non-negligible chance for a secondary effect but it’s not egregious for the first few levels. After level 10 or so the ratio takes off and becomes pretty big. Almost all monsters at high CR are large or huge, so managing to fit 3 of them in a AoE is not trivial. Above level 13, orbs are really very very good.

The ratio rises from 1.1 to 2.8 because:
-Touch ACs suck at every level. Therefore, a non-tricked out orb slinger has 90% average chances to hit above level 12- ranged touch attacks become more effective while the evoker's ability to get through the targets' Reflex save and (especially) SR goes down.

-SR is a big factor at high levels. It isn't very common until level 12 or so. But it is really really important after level 13. For the evoker, % to get through SR starts at above 90%, drops way down.

Because orbs seem to be a problem only in the double digit levels, I'm thinking a solution is to allow them, but give them a 10d6 damage cap- that would change nothing until level 11. The ratio would then remain at about 1.5 or so at higher levels.

(As an aside, I never realized how much lower Reflex saves are then Fortitude saves for almost all monsters. They are a few points lower at every CR)

Attachments

• orbvevoc0501.xls
    160.5 KB · Views: 85

IanB

First Post
Out of curiosity, what is with the big jump in evocation damage at CR 15 and why does it drop back down at CR 16?

Also what evocation spell were you using for the comparison?

NilesB

First Post
Did you take into account the -4 for shooting into melee?
Did you take into account the cover bonus monsters get from your party-mates?
Between those, I really think you are overestimating the hit chance of Orbs.
Did you take into account the ability of area effect attacks to harm more foes?

3d6

Explorer
Well, looking at the 16th level example, the orbs have a 94% chance to hit. If the target has cover and you're shooting into melee, the orb would have a 54% chance to hit, which would bring the average orb damage down to 56.7, and the ratio between the conjuration and evocation effects to 1.58.

NilesB said:
Did you take into account monsters with "magic immunity"?
Did you take into account that when your party members are in melee with the monsters, orbs are only penalized but area-effect spells may be totally unusable?

Rystil Arden

First Post
NilesB said:
Unless the monster is medium-sized or smaller, most of those don't matter, and most monsters are larger than that.

shmoo2

First Post
IanB said:
Out of curiosity, what is with the big jump in evocation damage at CR 15 and why does it drop back down at CR 16?

Also what evocation spell were you using for the comparison?

Jump in damage (for both orbs and evocations) at level 15 is due to using an 8th level slot and applying Energy Admixture.

Evocation drops (and is lower than the orbs) because of SR- note that average SR for CR 15 monsters is 18.7, but rises to 25.1 at CR 16.

Unfortunately, no good specific evocation spell exists. Fireball/Lightning bolt are 3rd level and have a 10d6 damage cap. Cone of Cold is 5th level.
Explosive cascade is 4th level, but has a 10d6 damage cap.

IanB

First Post
I'd also be curious to see how much the numbers change when the DMG npcs are included (maybe one of each class at each level, to get maximum coverage.) The problem with that of course is NPCs are very buff dependent, but so are a lot of higher level monsters (dragons in particular.)

shmoo2

First Post
NilesB said:

Rystil Arden said:
Unless the monster is medium-sized or smaller, most of those don't matter, and most monsters are larger than that.

What RA said.

Also, I didn't take into account situational modifiers in general. Cover bonuses would increase reflex saves too, for instance.

This analysis similarly ignores the existence of Evasion which would tend to lower evocation damage output, but not orbs.

Many monsters have spell effects which are not at will or always on, and so take an action to use so I excluded them. Concealment/Displacement type effects will affect the orbs, Energy Protection spells will affect evocations more etc.

NilesB said:

Well, yeah. The ratio is how many enemies the evoker needs to catch in the AoE to equal the orbs.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
shmoo2 said:
What RA said.
Well, yeah. The ratio is how many enemies the evoker needs to catch in the AoE to equal the orbs.

Granted, the larger the targets the harder it is to fit more in a AoE spell. But you realize that if you manage to fit just 2, you'll be beating the orbs 7 out 10 times, mostly at the lowest level of your table. That's what AoE spells are for anyway, hitting multiple targets, if you are using them for single targets, it's because that's the most dmg you can deal or maybe because it's the only thing you have left.

The other thing you need to consider is how many single target / multiple targets encounters you face per gaming session, some times you'll face a single target, sometimes you'll face multiple targets. Why try to fit a square peg in a round hole? you should try to use the right spell for the right situation. What if you are fighting a bunch of mooks, taking them to -30 one at a time is not as effective as dropping them all at once to zero , not to mention the number of spells you need to do that.

Remove ads