D&D 5E Orcish Fury for a Paladin

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
It's original, and I like the counter-intuitive nature of it...lots of opportunities for roleplaying.

Depending on how anachronistic you like to be, you could use the theme from Rocky...
We will see! I have been reading about huskarls.

I could see oath of the crown (not my fave but would be a fit).

I would love to play a human but the ability really fits my idea of a protector that does not quit and keeps swinging...

LG all the way too. I would like oath of conquest or devotion...have to give it some thought....

auburn2

Adventurer
Hello Gang,

just found an interesting combo. In other threads I mentioned a desire to play a paladin that just keeps going. Gets beaten up, exhausted but fights on!

this image or desire for play led me to consider a half orc. I was doing well with a firbolg concept! But I looked at half orc and relentless endurance was right in front of me all along. I imagined a more human appearance but I have an idea there too.

anyway, the discussion about uncommon use of race and class combos got me thinking about “orcish fury.”

I am afan of half feats but was stuck on heavy armor master and resilient con. And still am but...

with orcish fury if you are down to 0 but not dead outright, you are on your feet at 1 hp.

with orcish fury, you can also use a reaction to attack when knocked to zero....as a paladin, you can smite.

If you score a crit with a great axe, we are talking 5d12 not including a smite! No crit would still get you 2d12 if you have a use left of orcish fury extra damage die.

I do not think it’s super powerful and the opportunity cost is great. But I think I found my trick that fits the concept. Down but not out and able to deal a decisive blow instead of bleed on the ground!

taken further, with a conquest paladin you could also layer +10 to hit on that same (almost from the grave) strike.

not likely to come up often but damn if I don’t like d12s and staggering on to fight instead of die! Fits the concept.

I was thinking about a huscarl sort of character. Sadly? Oath of crown is probably the best fit (but I am not thrilled with its abilities). Trying to talk self out of conquest and go with stronger RP linkage...
How do you get 5d12 on a crit? I count 4d12 with Orcish fury, but maybe I am missing something.

In any case it seems like a cool concept although as others mentioned, I very rarely see you using relentless endurance PLUS smite. If you are at 0hp you screwed up by either not smiting earlier in the fight or not healing yourself. It is nice to have that mulligan with relentless endurance, because we all do make mistakes in combat, but I don't see the feat bringing much to the table.

As far as half-orc Paladins, I don't think they are that rare. They should be rare but the seem to be a common trope in fantasy novels and I think the picture of a Paldin in the PHB is a half-orc Paladin of Torm ... I could be wrong and I don't have it with me.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
How do you get 5d12 on a crit? I count 4d12 with Orcish fury, but maybe I am missing something.

In any case it seems like a cool concept although as others mentioned, I very rarely see you using relentless endurance PLUS smite. If you are at 0hp you screwed up by either not smiting earlier in the fight or not healing yourself. It is nice to have that mulligan with relentless endurance, because we all do make mistakes in combat, but I don't see the feat bringing much to the table.

As far as half-orc Paladins, I don't think they are that rare. They should be rare but the seem to be a common trope in fantasy novels and I think the picture of a Paldin in the PHB is a half-orc Paladin of Torm ... I could be wrong and I don't have it with me.
No you are right. It’s just for fun—novelty. Not likely to be a regular event. Though I like saving a spell and a smite. I would likely know about my mulligan and keep one, just one in reserve.

as to common...yeah what was unlikely has been more common. After 3e it’s gotten harder to be unusual. Tashas will make it next to impossible. (Shrug).

however, orcish fury is a HALF feat. So a +1 to an ability score is sacrificed. Looking ahead, at 4th I could have a 16 str, 10 dex, 16 con, 10 int, 10 wis, 14 chr. And extra +1 is ok to set up another half feat but I would not think it would make much of a difference. so for my race it seems a reasonable cost for something less common.

5d12. On a crit, the half orc can do 3d12. Once a short rest I can add a weapon die. So 4d12. Per sage advice, this extra die would also be doubled for another d12. 5d12. If a dm took issue with Crawford’s ruling I suppose it would only be 4d12 on a crit, and DMs can do as they wish which is OK.

in the end I am not looking to break the game or anything. However, I like rolling d12s...and one a short rest, I get an extra one!

I just think it would be rare. I don’t think the feat is popular like gwm or ASI or whatever. It’s not as powerful Of course.

how often would it come into play? Not too often. But if I did a retributive smite a few times it would be worth some giggles for me.

the main power of the Paladin offensively of course is smite. So that is present. I am not sure if I would play More bravely in melee knowing I can do a retributive strike Of sorts. Maybe.

final thought: not ultra powerful. Not super common but perhaps the best (only?) retributive strike I can think of. Maybeone of the barbarians can do something? I dunno. But I think I will try it.

auburn2

Adventurer
however, orcish fury is a HALF feat. So a +1 to an ability score is sacrificed. Looking ahead, at 4th I could have a 16 str, 10 dex, 16 con, 10 int, 10 wis, 14 chr. And extra +1 is ok to set up another half feat but I would not think it would make much of a difference. so for my race it seems a reasonable cost for something less common.
Good point! If the build only needed a +1 in strength to get the next plus it would be a nice cherry on top. Not as nice as HAM or athlete IMO, but not really far behind either.

Remove ads