• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orcus Previews the 4e Core Rulebooks

DanChops

First Post
mrswing said:
This review is startling. Startlingly one-sided.
So apart from the bard and druid being AWOL for now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 4e.
Just as there was absolutely nothing wrong with 3.0 and later 3.5.
Sorry, I'm not buying it (literally and figuratively). There is no way that marking (for example) can be considered an improvement over the previous edition. Simpler monster creation and seriously beefing up lvl 1 characters on the other hand are a big step forward (or backward in the case of the monsters - but still in the right direction).
4 e is going to have some really good new stuff, some average stuff and some really bad stuff, and it's going to take several months before the dust settles and gamers will find out what is what.
And any review worth its salt (rather than an advertisement in disguise) will keep that in mind.

Don't forget that this isn't a review of the game. It's not a review of the mechanics. Rather, it's a review of the books as a product. He's focusing on things like layout, presentation, and content. Viewed from that angle, I think it's a remarkably balanced review. He talks about what he likes (the revamped layout of the PHB,) what he doesn't like (the lack of some tradition options for classes and monsters,) and he points out the things that are bound to be controversial, even if he likes them (emphasizing the changes, such as the Dragonborn, with the layout and art.)

Last edited:

mrswing said:
This review is startling. Startlingly one-sided.
So apart from the bard and druid being AWOL for now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 4e.
Just as there was absolutely nothing wrong with 3.0 and later 3.5.
Sorry, I'm not buying it (literally and figuratively). There is no way that marking (for example) can be considered an improvement over the previous edition. Simpler monster creation and seriously beefing up lvl 1 characters on the other hand are a big step forward (or backward in the case of the monsters - but still in the right direction).
4 e is going to have some really good new stuff, some average stuff and some really bad stuff, and it's going to take several months before the dust settles and gamers will find out what is what.
And any review worth its salt (rather than an advertisement in disguise) will keep that in mind.

Why does every review have to be "balanced"? Maybe 4E just is not balanced, and it has more good then it has bad? At least from Orcus' point of view?

Not that he says there isn't nothing wrong with it. He misses a few classes, and he dislikes some of the monster selection.

I wouldn't have been able to predict the problems of 3E after I got the book and read it the first time. Okay, I probably knew for certain that the Monk (3.0) and Mystic Theurge are horribly broken, but, well, we all know how this "certainity" turned out.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I wouldn't have been able to predict the problems of 3E after I got the book and read it the first time. Okay, I probably knew for certain that the Monk (3.0) and Mystic Theurge are horribly broken, but, well, we all know how this "certainity" turned out.
Yup, they turned up broken the other way. :)

Mort_Q

First Post
As said, it's a review of the books as a product.

Can't really review the game without it being full of spoilers and/or violating his NDA... yet.

Sounds good to me though.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads