Original Creations Compilations (contributions welcome)

VBMEW-01

First Post
Nice critter Delgar, he'll be up shortly.

Yeah Malcolm, I figured so. But I'm still gonna put it in there for the bombastnicity! I doubt if anyone will seriously use it, but it should provide a good laugh to our readers.

Nice critiques Keterys.

EDIT-Oldtimer, I missed your post. Fixed the link to the sheet. It is made to go with power cards and really only has the essentials on it.

Last edited:

malcolm_n

Adventurer
VBMEW-01 said:
Yeah Malcolm, I figured so. But I'm still gonna put it in there for the bombastnicity! I doubt if anyone will seriously use it, but it should provide a good laugh to our readers.
Cool, I just can't tell sometimes, the humor may be lost across the net sometimes (and I wouldn't put it past WotC to do something like this ;)).

Seriously though, here's one I posted in Krusk's half-orc thread.

Half-orc

Long have the barbaric humans of the hinterlands comingled their weaker, but more apt race with the might of the orcs. Having bred a race true and strong, the clans both human and orc look on their children with respect for the heritage they've earned.

Racial traits
• You gain a +2 to your Strength and Wisdom scores.
• You can move 6 squares in one move action.
• You can move 7 squares when charging.
• You gain a +2 bonus to saves vs. ongoing damage.
• You gain a +2 to Intimidate and Nature checks.
• You know Orcish in addition to any other languages.
• You may select human and orc feats.

Half-orc racial power
You just made a big mistake, little man.
Blood for Blood
When bloodied the first time in an encounter, you can make an immediate basic attack. This attack can be in melee or at range and does 2[w] + Str or Wis damage.

Play a half-orc if:
You want to take pride in who you are and where you're from.
You want to take full advantage of combat with both power and insight on your side.
You want to play a Barbarian, Druid, or Fighter.
He goes well with the Barbarian class I wrote in my above link (page 1 or 2).

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
Cool bear! Still just trying to feedback things that bother me, its damage output seems startlingly high (like, bloodied mauls one shotting people at full health and sending people straight to dead who are somewhat injured) and its AC seems high for a 1st level Brute (it's higher than a 6th level one, if memory serves).

Aside: I was thinking about this yesterday, so posting it here. I suspect that when in doubt we should tend defenses lower rather than higher, until we have the real data. It's certainly my experience so far that the higher the defenses the less wide a range of levels a critter is fun at. Players are much happier to slog through extra creatures or extra hit points than to just miss, miss, miss.

Stalker0

Legend
mrrodgers said:
here are some powers and things I thought up for an earth elemental 'lock.

Earth Pact(s) (Subject to update)
Earthen Guard- All pull, push, and slide effects move you 1 square less.
Earthbind- An enemy under the effect of your warlock curse moves 1 less square per move action and cannot shift.

Encounter Powers
Dustshot Warlock (Elemental, Earth) Attack 1
A small dust devil flows from your outstreched palms, chasing your opponent and ripping at its flesh and eyes.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Earth
Standard Action, Ranged
Target: One creature
Attack: Cha vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Cha damage, and the target takes -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn. Then, if the creature is under the effect of your warlock curse, apply the hit effect again. Do not apply your bonus damage from your warlock curse to either effect.

At-Will Powers
Liquid Earth Warlock (Elemental, Earth) Utility 1
You point your wand at the ground and utter a word in the Terran tounge, turning it to liquid.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Earth, Implement
Standard Action
Target: One square
Effect: The targeted square becomes difficult terrain for three rounds.

Daily Powers
Earth Spike Warlock (Elemental, Earth) Attack 1
A spike of stone shoots up from underneath your opponent, impaling it.
Daily ✦ Arcane, Earth, Implement
Standard Action Ranged
Target: One creature
Attack: Cha vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d8 + Cha damage and the target is unable to move for two rounds.
Miss: Half damage and the target is still able to move.

I'll write more eventually.

Cheers

My comments:

Earthpact: I think the -1 square move is just fine, but the cannot shift is too strong. Warlocks can easily spam their curses on a field very quickly. Compare this to the fey pact that lets you teleport, but ONLY if you kill the guy. This effect would be on for most of the fight.

Dustshot: This one seems a little off, I'll try to think of other recommendations later.

Liquid Earth: This one is actually a decently powerful ability, as you can prevent nearly any creature from shifting. Don't know if its worth it most of the time as a standard action, but then again might be too good as a move.

Earth Spike: I would change the immobilization to save ends. This seems to be the theme for 4e, 2 rounds of unstoppable immobilization is too good.

VBMEW-01

First Post
Malcolm!

I totally missed that barbarian link. Did you make it yourself? If so post it here so I can add it in (not adding anything that isnt posted directly here for permissions purposes (which is why Nebulous' Feral troll isnt in yet) I don't want to ruffle any feathers).

Your half-orc will be added soon (to either races or options, I've not decided.

I will be putting up a new version of Options OCC (1.2-containing MR's earth guy and Malcolm's April Fools Day joke)

I finished Delgar's new monster and will re-up the monster book after I have a couple more to add.

Is that everything or am I overlooking somebody?

Delgar

First Post
keterys said:
Cool bear! Still just trying to feedback things that bother me, its damage output seems startlingly high (like, bloodied mauls one shotting people at full health and sending people straight to dead who are somewhat injured) and its AC seems high for a 1st level Brute (it's higher than a 6th level one, if memory serves).

Aside: I was thinking about this yesterday, so posting it here. I suspect that when in doubt we should tend defenses lower rather than higher, until we have the real data. It's certainly my experience so far that the higher the defenses the less wide a range of levels a critter is fun at. Players are much happier to slog through extra creatures or extra hit points than to just miss, miss, miss.

It's a SOLO brute, emphasis on solo. I just imagined his Maul being a high damage attack, very much like a characters encounter power 2[W]+str. Does it really seem like too much for a solo?

His defenses are quite low compared to the dragon (I basically lowered them by about 4 or so, it felt about right).

VBMEW-01

First Post
See this is what I like. When I put them in the files I barely read them for content (I do that afterwards) I mostly just shift them around to match everything else. So its good that we have some body actually reading them in a more rules-focused manner.

keterys

First Post
The hp of the pregen characters vary between 20 and 33. Its bloodied maul has an average damage of 17.5 and a maximum of 29. Then ongoing 2 damage which generally does get a chance to hit at least once, to bump it to 19.5 and 31.

The dragon's defenses were reportedly in error (believe Mearls stated as such, but don't have the link)... even if they weren't, if you've played that encounter they're _really_ tedious. More importantly, though, brutes tend to have lower ACs in general. I fully realize it's a solo critter (hence why the 150 hp, reactive attacks, action points, frightful presence, etc are all good). The 4d6+6 bloodied double claw is average 20 damage, as well.

I'm actually all for it dealing high damage, I just don't like the extremity of its high end. Maul could have higher ongoing bleed damage, for instance. The bloodied frenzy could just do +2 damage... I'd probably peg Maul at more like 2d8+3 or slightly less if I was upping bleed to 5. Enough to put a serious scare into someone, but not quite as swingy.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
keterys said:
A bonus to saves vs ongoing damage. Huh. Verra interesting idea.
I figured it wouldn't be too powerful since ongoing damage is denoted different from poisons, etc... They just recover quickly and/or think fast enough to stop it before it gets too bad.

as to the barbarian, I'm updating him (as I will all my material) as we get new info. Here is what I have so far. I'll let you know what to update and when.
Barbarian
Role: Striker/Defender
Power Source: Primal
Key Abilities: Strength, Constitution, Wisdom

Armor Training: Hide
Weapon Proficiencies: Swords, Axes, Clubs
Bonus to Defenses: +2 Fortitude
Bonus to Attacks: +1 melee

HP per level gained: 8 HP/level
Healing Surges: 6 + Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills: Nature plus three others
Available Skills: Pick three skills from the following list: Athletics, Endurance, Heal, Intimidate, Perception, Thievery
Skill Modifiers: +2 to Perception checks

Build Options: Bear, Boar, and Cat Totem Barbarian
Class Features: Bloodlust, Blood Rage, Primal Challenge, Rage, Tough as Nails

Barbarians are nature’s champions. The tribe and their lands come before anything else in a barbarian’s mind. As skilled hunters, warriors, and sometimes raiders, each barbarian trains with pride to be the greatest amongst his peers.

As a Barbarian, you might be rustic and uncouth. Others may consider you slower than average because you don’t always have the best grasp on society and city life. You’re at home in the grasslands, forests, and other natural environments.

In combat, you’ll generally rush ahead of your party to face down your foe. With brutal force, you cut your way through to more challenging opponents while leaving broken bodies in your wake.

Characteristics: Although you can function without it, rage is a key aspect of your combat prowess. Drop your mark quickly and move on so you can keep going.

Religion: Barbarians often worship the deity most closely tied to their clan or tribe. Regardless of alignment, this often equates to a nature god.

Races: Those who wish to defend their own by any means necessary make great barbarians including Orcs, Elves, and some Dragonborn.

Barbarians often focus on totems to supplement their beliefs while providing a useful benefit in some cases. Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom are the Barbarian’s most important ability scores.

Bear Totem Barbarian: You prefer to hit harder than even your kin are often comfortable with. Swinging your weapon unpredictably often garners you a telling blow. Strength is vital because the more damage you put out, the faster your opponent goes down. Constitution helps greatly if you leave yourself open to gain an advantage. Wisdom is a reasonable third ability score if you want to gain some abilities beyond hack and slash.

Suggested Feat: Weapon Focus (Human Feat: Toughness)
Suggested Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Intimidate, and Nature
Suggested At-Will Powers: Power Attack, Bestial Roar
Suggested Encounter Power: Tireless Rage
Suggested Daily Power: Take No Prisoners

Boar Totem Barbarian: The best offense is a good defense; or something like that. You have a unique approach to combat. If they’re hitting you, they’re not hitting your allies. Constitution is most important to help avoid a terrible fate. Strength helps to better dispose of your enemies. Wisdom is of equal importance if you want to fight better rather than harder.

Suggested Feat: Toughness (Human Feat: Human Perseverance)
Suggested Skills: Endurance, Intimidate, Nature, and Perception
Suggested At-Will Powers: Sweeping Strikes, Soak
Suggested Encounter Power: Whirlwind Attack
Suggested Daily Power: The Art of War

Cat Totem Barbarian: If you can gain combat advantage, you probably will. In doing so, you open up your foe to ally attacks. Wisdom is best put to use here to keep your mark guessing. Strength helps setup and execution of your daily power while Constitution provides additional cushion to the blows you take.

Suggested Feat: Expert Tactician (Human Feat: Skill Training (Insight))
Suggested Skills: Heal, Nature, Perception, Thievery
Suggested At-Will Powers: Decisive Strike, Disarm
Suggested Encounter Power: Tactical Advantage
Suggested Daily Power: Sundering Strike

All Barbarians share these class features.

Rage: Once during combat, you may enter a rage as a free action. While enraged, your attacks deal extra damage to marked opponents. As you advance in level, your extra damage increases. You must save against Rage at the beginning of each round. A successful save ends this effect. You take a -5 penalty to this save.

Level Rage Damage
1st - 10th +2d6
11th - 20th +3d6
21st - 30th +5d6

Primal Challenge: When you strike a foe in combat, that foe becomes marked and you can deal rage damage to him. Only one mark can be on an enemy at any time, and new marks supersede old.

Bloodlust: Against Bloodied targets, you deal an additional 3 damage with each attack. At 11th level, you deal an additional 6 damage. At 21st level, you deal an additional 9 damage.

Blood Rage: When you are bloodied in combat, you immediately gain all benefits of rage and require no saving throw to end the effect.

Tough as Nails: You gain 1 additional hit point each time you would gain an even level.

Your powers, called talents, are instinctual by nature. You draw upon them through a combination of innate ability, focused training, and strong ties to the land or your heritage. Your powers often benefit from Strength of Body or Will.

At-Will Powers

Bestial Roar:
Barbarian Attack 1
You scream with such ferocity that foes question their intent.
· At-Will Primal, Rage
· Minor Action
· Requirement: You must be raging and trained in Endurance
· Target: One Creature within Con modifier squares
· Attack: Endurance vs. Will
· Hit: Target is marked by you.

Decisive Blow:
Barbarian Attack 1
Your successful attack allows your ally an opening.
· At-Will Primal, Weapon
· Standard Action
· Requirement: You must be flanking with at least one ally
· Target: One Creature you flank
· Attack: Wis vs. Will
· Hit: 1[W] + Str and your flanking ally can make an immediate basic attack.

Disarming Blow:
Barbarian Attack 1
You strike the opponent’s hand, causing him to drop his weapon out of reflex
· At-Will Primal, Weapon
· Standard Action
· Target: One Creature
· Attack: Str vs. Reflex or Str vs. Fortitude
· Hit: 1[W] + Str and the target drops his held item.
· Special: If the item is held in 2 hands, the target gets a +2 to his Fortitude

Knockback:
Barbarian Attack 1
Armor doesn’t even cushion your bone crushing swings
· At-Will Primal, Weapon
· Standard Action
· Target: One Creature
· Attack: Str vs. Reflex
· Hit: 1[W] + Str. Increase damage to 2[W] + Str at 21st level.
· Special: If you are raging, increase your rage damage by one die category.

Soak:
Barbarian Utility 1
You let blows rain in; each bolstering your resolve and kindling the fire within.
· At-Will Primal
· Minor Action
· Effect: For the duration of the round, foes strike your Fortitude instead of your AC
· Boar Totem: You gain a +1 to your Fortitude Defense

Sweeping Blows:
Barbarian Attack 1
You can lay down several foes at once.
At-will Primal, weapon
Standard Action
Target: Up to 3 adjacent enemies within reach
Attack: Str vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Str

Encounter Powers

Tactical Advantage
Barbarian Utility 1
You leave yourself open long enough to help your party.
Encounter Primal, Reliable
Move Action
Target: One Creature
Attack: Wis vs. Will
Hit: You grant your target combat advantage. Your target grants your allies Combat Advantage. These effects last until the beginning of your next round.
Special: If you have Expert Tactician, your target grants you Combat Advantage also.

Tireless Rage
Barbarian Utility 1
Your fury burns unimpeded by the need for rest
Encounter Primal
Free Action
Effect: If you would succeed to stop your rage, you fail instead.

Whirlwind
Barbarian Attack 1
You go into a flurry, striking everything you can reach.
Encounter Primal, Weapon
Standard Action
Target: Burst; All within reach
Attack: Str vs. Reflex
Hit: 1 [W] + Str and target is prone
Miss: Target is prone

Daily Powers

The Art of War
Barbarian Utility 1
Position is the key to any battle.
Per Day Primal
Immediate Action (Interrupt)
Effect: You may shift a number of squares up to your move

Sundering Strike
Barbarian Attack 1
You could find the weak point in a block of stone.
Per Day Primal, Weapon
Standard Action
Requirement: Target must be visibly wearing armor.
Attack: Str vs. AC
Hit: The target takes a penalty to AC equal to your Str for the rest of the encounter.
Special: If you’re raging, double the penalty to AC.

Take No Prisoners
Barbarian Utility 1
Wanted Dead or Alive is a foreign concept to you.
Per Day Primal, Weapon
Move Action
Effect: Your next basic attack against the target is a critical attack.

Remove ads