Original Creations Compilations (contributions welcome)

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Sweet, go ahead and change his +5 vs. ongoing damage to +2; more balanced (aye Keterys?)
also, on the barbarian bear totem suggested at-will powers; change Power Attack to Knockback

Last edited:

malcolm_n

Adventurer
half-orc; i edited the post above also.
Since i hate to waste a post, here's a (speculative) paragon power.

Blood Funnel
Bloodmagus Attack 25
You use your opponents' weakened state to your advantage.
Encounter Arcane, Implement, Teleportation
Standard Action
Target: One Adjacent, Bloodied Creature
Attack: Cha vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + Cha damage and make a second attack.
Secondary Target: One Bloodied Creature other than the primary target.
Secondary Attack: Cha vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + Cha damage and you can teleport to a square adjacent to the target.
Special: You don't have to be adjacent to the secondary target. You can use this power twice per encounter, but only if you're bloodied.

Last edited:

VBMEW-01

First Post
Changes made to both

The fixed version of the barbarian is in Class 0.2, I had to fix some formatting too

Half-orc should be up later tonight, I have sickening math homework. It makes no good sense for college algebra to be a required core class! I'm gonna write an angry letter

Clight101

First Post
keterys said:
Ooh, new class (Tinker)... hmm. Cool concept, but I don't think rewriting the power tree is a good idea (all classes getting the same types of powers makes it much easier to balance things, whereas the tinker gets +1 encounter +1 utility, at 1st). Also, lots of autohit 'Effects', which I'm guessing is a mistake (you put stuff that trigger on hits under hit). Like, the at-will frost ray that is clearly better than the wizard version or the autostunning shock ray, whoa. In fact, I think you should remove stun from every single tinker power that has it on there. Autostun on miss is just really broken... autostun on hit is just normal broken. I'd also reformat to make things match 4e standards... so no miss: none, miss: half damage instead of a new die roll. Hit refers to one target and not 'all targets', pushed 1 square not knocked back, etc.

I got rid of the encounter power. That was a bit of a problem and an over site on my part, thanks for the notification. I think the utility should be kept though as it functions similar to a cantrip like Ghost sound or light but I didn't feel it should go under at will powers.

I did make a mistake with the effect in the at will powers. I wasn't sure how to write that up but I think it's correct now. I changed the stunned effects to dazed, changed freeze ray to work more like ray of frost since it's supposed to be the same just different flavor.

One thing, Hit refers to the listing in the power. If the target is equal to all creatures in the burst area then Hit does refer to all targets. Reference Scorching Blast for an example.

Scorching Blast
At-will - Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action
Area - burst 1 within 10 squares
Target - Each creature in burst
attack +5 vs. reflex
Hit: 1d6+5 fire damage

In this example which is right off the D&DXP character sheet hit refers to "all targets" in the blast.

Thanks for the insight on the class. I hope this balances better with the other classes now. The Bot is on it's way, it's just hard to try and make it work at this moment since I have no idea how to handle companions or familiar type creatures yet. I hope to post what I have tommarow night so I can get some feedback.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
keterys said:
Aside: I was thinking about this yesterday, so posting it here. I suspect that when in doubt we should tend defenses lower rather than higher, until we have the real data. It's certainly my experience so far that the higher the defenses the less wide a range of levels a critter is fun at. Players are much happier to slog through extra creatures or extra hit points than to just miss, miss, miss.

I've been thinking this too, and from playing, I think it's obvious that it's a design intent of 4E. I think it's also why damages seem in general to be low (I mean, the killer black dragon does 1D4+3 with it's claws! - not usually something to fear!) but there seems to be a general increase in the number of successful attacks. I for one couldn't be happier. Missing sucks. (Obviously it's good to keep missing POSSIBLE, just like dying, but you don't want to do it all the bloody time.)

So count me in on lower defenses - higher HP and lower damage - higher attack bonus monsters.

Fitz

keterys

First Post
Yep - you just call it a 'Class Feature' and you can give it all kinds of abilities. Utility is just a power 'bucket' they get at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 16th.

What I meant specifically on the targets thing:
Force Grenade is
Hit: 2d6 + Int damage and all targets are knocked prone

It should be just 'and target is knocked prone'. You roll for each target, so you hit or miss each separately, but that says 'all targets'.

So I'd rewrite the particular power as.

Force Grenade Tinker Attack 1
You throw a blue pulsing metal ball which discharges a pulse of force when it hits a surface.
Encounter * Tech, Force
Standard Action * Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in the burst
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier damage and target is knocked prone.
Miss: Half damage and target is not knocked prone.
Gadget User: Add 'and push target 1 square from center of burst' to Hit.

Not sure if the 'from center of burst' on the push is kosher or not, but seems reasonable. You could just leave Miss as 'half damage' and not specify the knockdown or even just take it off entirely - if you miss, they don't take appreciable damage (like Scorching Burst). Not really sure where the balance point on that is.

neceros

Adventurer
Couple of different topics:

Half-Orc: Really? +2 WIS? I would never, ever have given half-orc a plus to wisdom. Perhaps you meant CON or something else?

VB, if you need hosting help let me know. I have a metric ton of bandwidth that doesn't get used every month. Could set you up with an FTP.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
neceros said:
Couple of different topics:

Half-Orc: Really? +2 WIS? I would never, ever have given half-orc a plus to wisdom. Perhaps you meant CON or something else?

VB, if you need hosting help let me know. I have a metric ton of bandwidth that doesn't get used every month. Could set you up with an FTP.
My reasoning was from a flavor perspective, it's their human side which makes them more canny than the typical orc. That's why both sides of the half-orc heritage honor it; because it's got all of what they're missing. It's more tactical in combat than orcs (see fighter powers involving wis) and more powerful than humans (in general, considering they may be able to get +2 str).

Also, +2 Wis gives them options, whereas +2 Con kinda pushes them into a niche of close fighter. With the mental stat, they can easily trade off and play a half-orc Fighter, Barbarian, Cleric, or Druid; not to mention the odd paladin or two. With the write-up as presented, half-orcs get the love and respect they deserve. In and out of game like half-elves.

Last edited:

Remove ads