Origins of D&D monsters

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I'm looking for feedback on my D&D Monster Origins page:
D&D Monster Origins

I wrote this a while back, and I've recently updated it slightly -- but I imagine most people here haven't seen it yet. It attempts to cover the original or early sources for D&D monsters, both the origin of the monster in folklore and the first time it was used in D&D.

Sample ancient sources: Hesiod, Ovid, Photius
Sample old sources: Perrault, de Voragine, Ariosto
Sample modern sources (non-D&D): Vogt, Tolkien, Anderson
Sample modern sources (D&D): Gary Gygax, Monte Cook, Sean Reynolds

Suggestions for earlier or better sources for entries would be warmly welcomed. Suggestions for other monsters to add (there are many more missing than present!) will be considered. Any help finding something requested on the page (the "Help!" section) would be great -- anyone have a picture of the bulette/owl bear/rust monster toys, say?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I'm looking for feedback on my D&D Monster Origins page:

Very nice work, CRGreathouse!

I'm afraid I can't help with the literary origins, but I can help you with the original D&D source for each one, by shameless plugging my Complete D&D monster index. The index includes all of the White Dwarf first appearances, which may help for more accurate references for one or two of the Fiend Folio creatures. (The Githyanki first appeared in White Dwarf #12, rather than the Fiend Folio as currently listed, for instance.)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Very nice work, CRGreathouse!

I'm afraid I can't help with the literary origins, but I can help you with the original D&D source for each one, by shameless plugging my Complete D&D monster index. The index includes all of the White Dwarf first appearances, which may help for more accurate references for one or two of the Fiend Folio creatures. (The Githyanki first appeared in White Dwarf #12, rather than the Fiend Folio as currently listed, for instance.)

Thanks!

I don't want my work to duplicate yours, of course; my focus is different. But I will cross-check and make corrections as you suggest.

In your opinion, what are the most important/classic monsters missing from my site?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I don't want my work to duplicate yours, of course; my focus is different. But I will cross-check and make corrections as you suggest.
Actually, after my earlier posts, I read through your entire site -- fascinating stuff -- and the Githyanki reference was the only error I picked up, so I doubt there is much that needs correcting.
In your opinion, what are the most important/classic monsters missing from my site?
Nothing springs immediately to mind; it looks like you've got most of the classic critters covered. There may be some creatures from early D&D sources (as opposed to AD&D sources), that didn't make the jump to AD&D, but I don't know if those would really count as "classic".

Oh, I couldn't help noticing the flumph is missing though :angel:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Our admin Plane Sailing created the shadow demon, quillan and stunjelly. I know he's talked about how they came about in the past, although I'm not sure where. If you're curious, ping him and ask him to swing by.

Nebulous

Legend
Wow, i'd love to have those old plastic rust monsters. I'm really surprised DDM hasn't done them yet, in lieu of other weirder, less iconic monsters.

frankthedm

First Post
OMG, I used to have that Forest of doom game! God those are early memories! I think I still have the green dragon.

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Kevin, I emailed Alex and he said he'd send me the details after New Year's. Thanks for the suggestion!

Actually, after my earlier posts, I read through your entire site -- fascinating stuff -- and the Githyanki reference was the only error I picked up, so I doubt there is much that needs correcting.

Great, glad to have a second pair of eyes. In looking over it I see the Githyanki reference was actually correct, just misleading (it claimed only that FF was its first hardcover), so I expanded it with the correct information to clarify matters.

Oh, I couldn't help noticing the flumph is missing though

You don't happen to know the story there, do you? Your spreadsheet shows that it's a Fiend Folio (1981) monster, so I don't even know who designed it, let alone why. Of course everyone figures they needed a LG creature, but anything beyond that? (Or even corroboration on that point?)

Remove ads