Origins of the Deities in Frostburn/Sandstorm

BogusMagus

First Post
Does anyone know which God is from mythology somewhere and which is Newly-Made-Up?
Seems like the ones from Greyhawk/Faerun are specified, but others are ambiguous.

I'm wondering especially about those that has PrC or Feat associated with it, like, Tem-Et-Nu.

BogusMagus

James Jacobs

Adventurer
BogusMagus said:
Does anyone know which God is from mythology somewhere and which is Newly-Made-Up?

I can't answer for Sandstorm, but since I wrote the deity info for Frostburn I can help you out there.

Auril and Ulutiu are both from Forgotten Realms.

Telchur and Vatun are both from World of Greyhawk.

Levistus is one of the bosses of Hell; he's got lots more details in the Book of Vile Darkness. He might have some real-world mythology going on... a lot of the archdevils and demon lords are loosly based on mythological demons and devils.

Thrym's old-school, from the Asgardian Pantheon. He's got more details in Deities & Demigods. He's got real world mythology out there

Aengrist, Hleid, and Iborighu I made up completely for Frostburn, to give the uldra a couple of deities and to give paladins someone to look up to while their armor's freezing to their skin.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I skimmed through Sandstorm at a bookstore last night, not bad looking, didn't buy it, but not bad...

Anyways, it had tables for Egyptian and Babylonian dieties, but no write ups (for Egyptian there is reference to Dieties and Demigods), and the "fantasy" gods with write ups.

One is Zozzer (sic)...as in Ghost Busters?? Mentions he is the patron of the Dervishes...a little strange, and potentially offensive, given that Dervish is more specific a term then say "cleric" or "monk", and that Dervish orders still exist...I guess there are also people who claim to be druids...

TerraDave said:
One is Zozzer (sic)...as in Ghost Busters?? Mentions he is the patron of the Dervishes...a little strange, and potentially offensive, given that Dervish is more specific a term then say "cleric" or "monk", and that Dervish orders still exist...I guess there are also people who claim to be druids...

Dervish = PrC in Complete Warrior.

Or at least, I'd expect that's what the reference is to.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Dervish = PrC in Complete Warrior.

Or at least, I'd expect that's what the reference is to.

Your correct of course. But that PrC is based on Dervishes (othewise why use the same name)...and there are still Dervishes. And it was one thing to have a PrC named that, and another to say "they worship Zozzer". It was mainly just a funny thing to read. But I think such explicit references to ongoing, practicing religion are pretty rare in D&D these days to avoid offense.

Not to be PC, and I like things like Testament that go farther in this regard, but still, Zozzer...

tarchon

First Post
TerraDave said:
I skimmed through Sandstorm at a bookstore last night, not bad looking, didn't buy it, but not bad...

Anyways, it had tables for Egyptian and Babylonian dieties, but no write ups (for Egyptian there is reference to Dieties and Demigods), and the "fantasy" gods with write ups.

Zoser (Djoser) was originally an Old Kingdom Pharaoh.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
BOZ said:

The uldra originally appeared in an old issue of Dragon, and I considered updating their deities from that article. In the end, though, the uldra of Frostburn ended up being equally inspired more closely by other mythological uldra stories. Especially since the uldra of Dragon were basically just ice gnomes. I wanted the ones in Frostburn to be something other than just gnomes, so I made them a bit more fey and alien in appearance and nature.

Which resulted in the deities from that old Dragon being less appropriate. Plus... I didn't want to reproduce an entire pantheon and dominate the deity section for just one new race of critters.

Which is my way of saying in a long, drawn out way, that the uldra of Frostburn ended up being entirely different creatures than the 1st edition incarnations (or their updated versions on the Creature Catalog).

Remove ads