Origins Reclaims #3 Biggest Tabletop Gaming Convention Spot

A couple of weeks ago, UK Games Expo overtook Origins Game Fair to become the world's third largest tabletop games convention. That a victory was short-lived, however, as Origins this week announced its latest unique visitor and turnstile figures, which put it back in third place again, relegating UKGE back down to fourth. The difference is very close, though - there's just 500 unique attendees in it, and both conventions seem to be growing right now (UKGE especially fast), so this leap frogging might occur for a while. Gen Con and Essen Spiel are, of course, 3-4 times the size of both.

A couple of weeks ago, UK Games Expo overtook Origins Game Fair to become the world's third largest tabletop games convention. That a victory was short-lived, however, as Origins this week announced its latest unique visitor and turnstile figures, which put it back in third place again, relegating UKGE back down to fourth. The difference is very close, though - there's just 500 unique attendees in it, and both conventions seem to be growing right now (UKGE especially fast), so this leap frogging might occur for a while. Gen Con and Essen Spiel are, of course, 3-4 times the size of both.

origins_reg-tm-where-gaming-begins-w-crit.png

ConventionUnique AttendeesTurnstileExhibitors
Gen Con60,819201,852500+
Essen Spielunknown174,000900+
Origins Game Fair17,00158,595200+
UK Games Expo16,50031,000325

As mentioned in the previous article, conventions which don't focus exclusively on tabletop games tend to be bigger, especially those which include comic books (Italy's Lucca Comics & Games dwarfs all of these). But tabletop gaming conventions are growing fast!

The_Baldman

Explorer
Just found out Dragonmeet's figures, courtesy of Chris Birch. 2014 approx 800, 2015 approx 1400, 2016 approx 1600. Quite a gap between that and UKGE, but it's growing.

GaryCon had about 550 in 2012, but I don't know how much it has grown since.

I don't know what Winter Fantasy gets. Anyone know about Paizocon?

Winter Fantasy had 425 last year (our new high for the 3rd year straight). Which I am pretty happy with for a show focused almost entirely on D&D OP Play (we have only a few vendors for basics). Thinking of adding some new games this year though. We shall see how far I get with those plans once I survive Gen Con and HasCon this fall.

GameDaddy

Explorer
Just found out Dragonmeet's figures, courtesy of Chris Birch. 2014 approx 800, 2015 approx 1400, 2016 approx 1600. Quite a gap between that and UKGE, but it's growing.

GaryCon had about 550 in 2012, but I don't know how much it has grown since.

I don't know what Winter Fantasy gets. Anyone know about Paizocon?

Garycon 2016 - approximately 1,100
GaryCon 2017 - just over 1,500

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads